This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Battle plan for rusty relic Cub?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Battle plan for rusty relic Cub?

Postby Dusty B » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:30 am

Jim - Experience! Bought a non-runner on CR in FL $100! Another $100 to get it from Sarasota to DSCF - pulled hood & head w/help from several of my good friends(I hope) here on the forum! long story short - parted it out on site and just broke even!! Obviously there was no hope (situation no cover on exhaust so engine was toast!) Next story - bought a loboy w/mower (stored inside but motor stuck) for $200 - freed up motor and have been using it for 15 years!!! Just my opinion I would run from yard art!!! Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:43 am

Kinda agree with Dusty on this one; it's lawn art for a reason.

But here's some additional info in the How To Forum on what to look for when inspecting a Cub for sale: http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48032
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:03 pm

Eugene wrote:Dollar wise, much cheaper to purchase a Cub in work ready condition.

You need to consider why it was lawn art.

The C60 Cub engine is not sleeved. Engine machine shop and new parts can cost as much as a work ready Cub.

I was going to say the same thing. For what I see running good shape ones cost it seems the best bang for your buck is buy one running. Now if you want to restore it and spend hundreds of hours getting it running and working on it and redoing it, then buying a beat neglected one may be your chosen route.

But judging from the prices I saw on an auction in NC this last year, if wouldn't make much sense to pay $400 for one that needed lots of work. Now it it needs points plugs fresh fuel and oil and it's good to go that's a different story.

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:52 am

I bought Krusty for $400...and did a lot of work to it.....cleaned fuel system....re-ringed it....rod brgs.....new valve springs....lapped valves...new coil...tune up..tires.....its now a great tractor...so it cost me a few $$$$...but its working again..1947...4 digit ser #....
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”