touch control rebuild help

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44236
Tractors Owned: 48 FCub
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Re: touch control rebuild help

Postby lyle11 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:51 pm

I torqued the 3/8” head bolts to 45 foot-lbs. Might be too much but I never got a nervous feeling like one is gonna break. I think they’re Grade 8 and I used the original IH bolts which might be stronger than Grade 8. I got to about 28 foot-lbs on the 5/16” bottom plate bolts after gradually ramping up the torque and stopped there. I think the 35 foot-lbs has to be a mistake and it felt like I better stop.

Following advise from previous threads on this topic, I used Indianhead gasket shellac on the bottom plate gasket only. Nothing on the other gaskets. I did not use sealer on any threads. My understanding is it acts as a lube and you have to adjust the torque down if you use it. I’ve broken bolts before using the silvery colored stuff in the gray can (drawing a blank on the name right now). With this being a protected unit under the hood, I just ran a clean out die over the bolt threads. There was no rust on the head bolt threads. They looked real clean.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: touch control rebuild help

Postby Glen » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:57 pm

Hi,
You could use a thin film of sealer on the bottom cover gasket, it might help to keep it from seeping over time.
Permatex Aviation Form A Gasket is good for that, it is a non hardening liquid. They sell it at NAPA here in the west. If you buy one, stir it well before using, it can settle in the bottom of the can sitting.

It is used on engine head bolt threads to seal them also. Below is a pic. :)
Attachments
Cub Permatex.jpg
Cub Permatex.jpg (8.51 KiB) Viewed 47 times