This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pto bushing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bamacub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Pto bushing

Postby Bamacub » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:20 pm

Split a 1950 cub today to check on a vibration, found crankshaft ploit bushing bad. Pulled clutch tube and clutch shaft. The main clutch shaft PTO bushing was gone. I have a new bushing 3/8 I'd 7/16 od 3/4 long, but it is a loose fit. The shaft can be worn so bad that it is a loose fit.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Stevetractor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: B0v1a0
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall Cub
1968 International Cub

Re: Pto bushing

Postby Stevetractor » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:04 pm

Yes. If the bushing gets worn out and not replaced it can beat the end out of the shaft. Will also wear the tip of the pto shaft itself. If the clutch shaft is worn there, it’s probably also worn where the transmission bearings run on it. I might suggest a new shaft and change the upper bearings and seal while your there. The tip on the pto shaft could be fixed easily by a machine shop, but with labor, is a new one cheaper? When there is nothing on the pto, I put the guard on mine and leave it in gear. That way bushing and shaft can’t wear. JMHO.

Bamacub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bamacub » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:37 pm

just a couple of questions, the rear main shaft bearing is pressed out to the rear and pressed in from the rear. the front counter shaft cover has a gasket, but should the inner oring be changed.

Stevetractor
5+ Years
5+ Years
1955 Farmall Cub
1968 International Cub

Postby Stevetractor » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:02 pm

My personal opinion is yes if your going to disassemble. When I take one apart I usually change all the bearings and seals/gaskets. Be careful not to mess up where the shim packs go and on what sides for the carrier. Sometimes you get lucky and the carrier bearings and countershaft bearings are ok. Also don’t overlook the reverse idler bushing. I usually install new bushing and get a machine shop to carefully ream it to fit shaft. I’ve found when it gets worn it gets noisy. I also mark the small shaft it rides on and turn it over 180 degrees on installation. Hope this helps. Permatex aircraft gasket sealant on both sides of cork and paper gaskets will be your friend.

Bamacub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bamacub » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:29 pm

I am not doing a complete tear down just pulling the main shaft. I am changing the main shaft front and rear bearing new PTO shaft seal and bearing, front shaft seal and retainer. Just don't know about counter shaft front cover gasket and oring. Plus first and rev and second and third slider gears are to be changed.

Bamacub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bamacub » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:31 pm

Any tips Will be welcome from the experts

Stevetractor
5+ Years
5+ Years
1955 Farmall Cub
1968 International Cub

Postby Stevetractor » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:38 pm

I wouldn’t bother the countershaft gasket and oring then. But definitely new bearings on clutch shaft. Why are you changing slider gears or did you just mean removing them. Be careful retighting forks. They are brittle and can break from too much torque. Also make sure you hold up on them slightly as you tighten so they don’t rub on the gear teeth.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:40 pm

Hi,
If the countershaft front cover doesn't leak, and everything looks good, it probably doesn't need to be taken apart, unless you want to replace the parts.
But I can't see the condition it is in either.
Check the bolt tightness.

Be sure to put the front transmission seal retainer on the clutch shaft on with the bulged side facing to the rear, or into the trans.
If it is put on backwards, the clutch shaft can slide ahead, then there is too big a gap between the rear of the clutch shaft, and the PTO shaft. Then the PTO can slip out of engaged during use.

Below is a pic from TM Tractor showing the bulge. :)
Attachments
Cub Trans seal.jpg

Bamacub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bamacub » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:53 pm

Slider gears have several chipped teeth and are worn bad. Might as well change them. Everything else looks good as and tight.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:24 pm

Changing one gear of a pair will often result in noisy gears. I wouldn't change one of a pair unless I really needed to.

Bamacub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bamacub » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:03 pm

The counter shaft gears look good, but the third and second slider has two broke teeth and the others are badly worn. First and rev is not as bad but worn. Thanks Jim for your answer something to think about

Return to “Farmall Cub”