This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Head gasket?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Head gasket?

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:34 pm

I’ve been working my way to replacing the throwout bearing in my ‘58 Lo-Boy so today I slid under it to have a look thru the port to see just how bad it was, it didn’t disappoint.
I saw something else though, coolant dripping down the left side of the block. Following it up I found it around the two rear sparkplugs and it seems to be coming from around the head bolt that sits between them.
I haven’t done a compression check or messed with the bolt yet. Honestly I’m afraid too. Not wanting to deal with snapped head bolts.
The engine runs really well but does run hot at times.
It’s fires up readily and idles smooth.
Even so I’m thinking I might be dealing with a blown head gasket. Not sure though as there is no water in the oil or oil in the water. No white smoke thru the exhaust. It does have oil collecting on top of the oil filter housing. I attribute that to a leaking gasket which will be changed with the oil. Oil pressure isn’t abnormal.
I’m kinda thinking of just replacing the TO bearing, putting it back together and getting thru winter plow duty to worry about it in the spring.
What do you guys and gals think?
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Head gasket?

Postby Eugene » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:01 pm

Gently remove the head bolt and put sealants on the threads. Break the bolt, then pull the head.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:18 pm

Hi,
If the coolant is coming out through the bolt hole, it could simply be that the bolt threads need sealer put on them, and then torque the bolt.

You need to drain the coolant before removing the bolt.
I would wash the bolt with clean water, and wash down the bolt hole before putting the bolt in again.
Antifreeze leaves a sticky film on metal, and it should be washed off, before putting sealer on, so the sealer can stick.
To wash the bolt hole out, save the drained coolant if you are going to use it again, and leave the drain plug out, wash with a garden hose and nozzle down the bolt hole, then dry it some, using compressed air down the hole. Wear your safety goggles when using the water and air.
The water will run out the drain hole.
Permatex Aviation Form A Gasket works good for head bolts. They sell it at NAPA here in the west.
It comes in a small can, stir it well before using it, it settles some in the bottom of the can sitting.

It's hard to tell without being there to see it, but this is one thing it could be. :)

Jim in SC
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 29527
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall H - "Ray R." (SN FBH 366519)
1959 Farmall Cub - "Pea" (SN 211538 J)
1964 IH Cub Cadet 100 - (SN 92562)
1971 IH Cub Cadet 106 - (SN 380760)

2018 Husqvarna YTH18542

Tractor previously owned:
1951 Farmall Cub - "Johnny R."

Postby Jim in SC » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:07 pm

Sounds familiar, El Tee. I've got to wash out a head bolt hole or dozen this week too! Enjoy.
Circle of Safety
"That's the great thing about a tractor. You can't really hear the phone ring."
Jeff Foxworthy

1951 Farmall H
1959 Farmall Cub
1964 IH Cub Cadet 100
1971 IH Cub Cadet 106
2018 Husqvarna YTH18542

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:35 pm

Sounds like it could be a simple fix but only if I don’t break that bolt. Not feeling very lucky or brave with that right now so I might wait for spring and hopefully have some of my bigger projects in that long list of to do’s done and off my mind.
Maybe with less on my plate Murphy’s law will take pity on me and the bolt will come out in one piece.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:59 pm

If the head has been removed in the not too distant past, the chances are good the head bolts will come out with no trouble. It is a good idea to run a tap down through each hole to clean the threads before putting the head back on. If it still has the original head bolts, replacing them is a good idea. If you do break one or two, etc. they are not that difficult to put Heli coils in. I like to use a medium size impact, and if I get one that is stuck I rock it forward and backward quite a bit which frequently breaks it loose. When one breaks I take my angle grinder and touch it up so the top is straight across, then set the head back on and snug it with two or three bolts, and run a 3/8 drill down through the head to mark the center of the bolt, then remove the head and carefully drill it out keeping the drill vertical. You will need the correct drill and tap for the Helicoil, they are odd sizes on the outside.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:03 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:If the head has been removed in the not too distant past, the chances are good the head bolts will come out with no trouble. It is a good idea to run a tap down through each hole to clean the threads before putting the head back on. If it still has the original head bolts, replacing them is a good idea. If you do break one or two, etc. they are not that difficult to put Heli coils in. I like to use a medium size impact, and if I get one that is stuck I rock it forward and backward quite a bit which frequently breaks it loose. When one breaks I take my angle grinder and touch it up so the top is straight across, then set the head back on and snug it with two or three bolts, and run a 3/8 drill down through the head to mark the center of the bolt, then remove the head and carefully drill it out keeping the drill vertical. You will need the correct drill and tap for the Helicoil, they are odd sizes on the outside.

I don’t believe the head has ever been off the engine. Yes unless it’s through bolted with a nut I always use new bolts.
I’ve dealt with broken bolts before and with luck if it breaks it’ll break above the block so I can weld a nut onto what’s left. I like the tip on using the head as a drill guide.
May pull out every trick I know when I do decide to take the risk. Like giving the bolt head a sharp rap with a ball peen to possibly break its grip.
For now I’ll just keep adding coolant. ;)

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:24 pm

Lt
For what it's worth, my opinion is with you. If that is your snow plow tractor you don't want it incapacitated for a lengthy repair. Now replacing a head gasket isn't a long job even if you break one off and have to drill and tap. I would either not start unless you have all parts and supplies on hand to start, or wait until spring. Just check and keep your antifreeze topped off before each use.

JMO
Hutch
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Return to “Farmall Cub”