Changing out oil pan

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JimCub48
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 56377

Changing out oil pan

Postby JimCub48 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:28 pm

I plan on changing out my oil pan this winter, I just changed oil and filter with only a few hours of run time ,so I don't plan on draining oil filter housing and changing oil filter. Question is, can the oil pan be changed out without priming the oil pump. Thanks

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Changing out oil pan

Postby Clemsonfor » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:40 pm

I would say yes, do you prime the oil pulp each time you change the oil? It's really no different.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:47 pm

Why are you changing the oil pan, is it damaged, or just leaking around the bolts?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:51 pm

I would say yes to priming. Per the engine lubrication manual priming of the oil pump should only be necessary when the pump has been assembled dry or after long periods of storage, where the pump may have drained completely. By removing the oil pan, I think there is a good chance the pump will drain through the intake line into the screen. Also the connection between the oil intake pipe and the crankcase must be air tight.
Bill VanHooser
Circle of Safety

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:20 pm

Bill V in Md wrote:I would say yes to priming. Per the engine lubrication manual priming of the oil pump should only be necessary when the pump has been assembled dry or after long periods of storage, where the pump may have drained completely. By removing the oil pan, I think there is a good chance the pump will drain through the intake line into the screen. Also the connection between the oil intake pipe and the crankcase must be air tight.

Do you prime after every oil change? Not trying to be difficult but I am just wondering if I should change the way I go about it.

Removing an oil pan is no different in the end result than pulling a drain plug for oil change. Now if it takes him a week to put the pan back up and refill with oil I would agree the two are different.

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:40 pm

I do not prime the oil pump after changing engine oil. There is nothing wrong with doing that, but I do not think it is necessary because with a short period of time between draining and adding new oil, I believe the surfaces of the oil pump intake and supply pipe, as well as the pump gears are still somewhat lubricated, so the pump should develop pressure quickly. Now if the duration between draining the oil pan and adding new oil is several days, I would recommend priming the pump.
Bill VanHooser
Circle of Safety

JimCub48
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 56377

Postby JimCub48 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:48 pm

Finally got my oil pan changed out, really went smooth . Finally had a chance to fire it up to check oil pump prime and check for leaks.We are finally out of the deep freeze. Tractor fired right up ,oil pressure came up and no leaks.( Sucess) Bought a 1/4 inch drive 1/2 inch shallow swivel socket with a 4 inch extension ,worked great, for those 3 bolts tucked up by the bell housing. Thanks Dale for the tool tip. Used aviation gasket sealer between the pan and cork gasket no sealer between gasket and block.only tightened bolts 1 turn after finger tight. Ran for a good 30 minutes. No leaks , couple days later no leaks. Thanks for the tips on this site.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:26 pm

I did mine. The outer 2 bolts I could use a wrench to easily get it done. The back one I used a u joint 1/2" socket. It was frozen and seized up. Freed it up a bit, I think it was 3/8" drive though. I used it to get the back center bolt tight.