This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Governor Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dave Irish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Governor Question

Postby Dave Irish » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:01 pm

Good day Gentlemen.

When re assembling the governor, how/ where should the bumper spring be set?
" Never play leapfrog with a unicorn"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Governor Question

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:10 pm

Leave it so it isn't really exerting any pressure. Then after you have the engine running turn it in just enough to stop the surging.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:15 pm

From the GSS-1411 Blue Ribbon Service Manual:

f. Bumper Spring Adjustment:
Screw in the bumper spring just enough to stop excessive surging. Test as in
operation (e) above after each slight adjustment. If screwed in too far, the
bumper spring will prevent the throttle from closing to low idle stop. After the
bumper spring has been adjusted properly,lock in place with a jam nut. Where such
extreme setting of the bumper spring is found necessary, it would indicate excessive friction or sticking is occurring
in the throttle assembly or the governor rockshaft assembly. This should be
corrected and the bumper spring readjusted. Where the use of the bumper springis not required to control surging, it
should be screwed in until it just touches at low idle speed, and then backed out
1/4 turn and locked.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Dave Irish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave Irish » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:37 pm

Thanks. What I think happened is that there was excessive play due to wear in the keyway/ yoke of the rocker shaft which caused the pin that holds the shafts together to no longer be there....lol I assume this caused the internal shaft with the fork on it to flail around in there breaking the tine that rests on the bumper spring. I cleaned up the play using the JB weld trick. Then got my master welder neighbor to braze the broken tine back on, I was going to buy a new one but you would think they are made of gold for the price they are charging for them.....lol But you can play with the linkage for an entire day and it will make no difference if that fork is broken. Had to wash my coveralls to get the stench of rich cub exhaust off them.......lol
" Never play leapfrog with a unicorn"

Return to “Farmall Cub”