This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IH carb for a 1960 lo boy

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tnsheepdog
Zip Code: 37716

IH carb for a 1960 lo boy

Postby tnsheepdog » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:20 pm

Hello Again!
Thanks for all the help I have received on these forums!! Once again I am needing assistance. Our 1960 Lo Boy had a Zenith carb on it when we got it. It wasn't running but after some work ,we have gotten it to start with spray and it will run for a few minutes and then quit. I have adjusted the timing and its getting fresh gas. My question is I believe part of my problem might be the carb and/or governor. Anyone have a part number or any comments on what I can do will be greatly appreciated. I did take the carb off, opened it up and made sure the jet was clear, looked fairly clean but I am not a carb person. I would like to know which carb I should be looking for or anything else that I need to be looking at. I am very new to the IH lob boy group and admittedly know very little about them or working on them other than just old man mechanics that I have learned. I'm not real sure what the motor is, (told you I wasn't very knowledgeable) and any info will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully after this virus is over with, I can hook up with a local group to meet some other owners and learn some more about these great machines. THANKS AGAIN!!!
Attachments
Cub lo boy b.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: IH carb for a 1960 lo boy

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:27 pm

The first thing I would suggest that you do is remove the inline fuel filter that you installed. Let us know if that improves things.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

tnsheepdog

Postby tnsheepdog » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:35 pm

Thanks, I will try that!!

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:08 pm

Looking back at your prior posts, I noticed that your loboy is a 1960 Offset IH (instead of a number series), all use the same IH C60 engine. Yours would have originally had an IH carb but the later Cubs models were equipped with the Zenith carb. I also noticed that you have previously had it running so what changed? Timing is best set with a timing light and the gravity flow fuel system needs to be very clean. No start situations will result in fuel leaking from the bottom of the carb since the updraft system cannot pull the liquid fuel into the cylinders. Fuel in the right amount delivered to the cylinders, spark delivered at the right time, and properly adjusted air flow will result in a running engine in a perfect world. Take these three systems and trouble shoot them one at a time and you should learn where the problem(s) lie. Have you accessed the manuals section yet? Lots of useful information to be found there. Good luck and keep posting on the progress. We all learn from each other.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:27 am

Hi,
I would try what Don said above first.
The gas strainer under the gas tank needs cleaning every 250 hours of use, the LoBoy operator's manual that I posted in one of your posts says.
Below is the page.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2032.jpg

It is easier to get to the strainer if you move the Touch Control arms to the rear or down position first.

The gasket might not seal well if it is old and you try to reuse it.
The strainer above the gasket can be replaced if it is bad.
Below are listings from TM Tractor for a new gasket and strainer.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/426fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/235fp.htm

If you are wanting to change it to the IH carburetor, below are listings from TM Tractor for a new IH style carb, gas line, and air intake hose for use with it. You can look at the pics.
It looks like yours has the right air intake pipe and hose, the Zenith carb used a different hose, but they didn't put it on yours evidently.
It might need a new short piece of hose at the carb, the Zenith has a bigger diameter intake, so the hose may be stretched and not fit on the smaller IH carb. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/125fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/373fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hc/865fp.htm

tnsheepdog

Postby tnsheepdog » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:08 pm

Thanks all!
I did have it running, and still can but I have to use spray to get it started and it will just run a few minutes at the most and then die or if I try to change the engine speed it will usually die. I thought I saw some gas coming out of the air intake of the carb after it had sat awhile. Set the timing yesterday. Does the hook up for the Zenith require any changes as far as hooking up the governor? I know the strainer is clean but I think I will replace it and the gasket anyway. When it quits raining, (outside covered with tarp right now) I will take out the inline filter and am going to order new screen, gasket and fuel line. Also the air filter was very dirty, with water mixed with the oil, had apparently not been serviced in a long time. Have it apart and going to clean with kerosene, per operators manual, and put new hose on it before I put it back on. Looks like it doesn't come apart other than the bottom coming off. I will keep you updated on what happens.
Thanks to all, you are a GREAT help!!!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:33 pm

Any time you remove the carburetor, you need to check/set the governor to carburetor linkage. If the tractor will run by spraying ether or carb cleaner into the intake, the issue is not likely the carburetor. I’d check the entire fuel delivery system for a partial blockage. Start at the fuel cap and work your way down. The fuel cap has a vent in it. Make sure that is open. Check the fuel tank for debris. If you find any, remove it. Especially check the inlet to the fuel strainer. Replace the fuel strainer screen and gasket as you planned. The Zenith carburetor has an L shaped brass fitting where the fuel line connects to the carb. Inside that fitting is a cylindrical screen filter. Remove the fitting and check for debris in both sides of the screen. Inside and out. Complete these things, attempt a start without fluid and report back.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:46 pm

One thing I forgot to mention...
Unless those pieces of rubber fuel line are brand new, check them for debris and/or deterioration. Ethanol fuel can play havoc with old rubber fuel lines.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

A. K. Trenfor

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:26 pm

The C60 engine will run on a Zenith carb (the ones intended for the New International Cubs and Numbered Series tractors).
It may run a little rich at higher RPM's, but should run well.
This definitely sounds like a fuel blockage or a stuck float - float may be stuck in a high position, keeping the needle closed. Engine runs a bit emptying the bowl and the closed needle is not refilling the bowl quickly enough to keep it running.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

tnsheepdog

Postby tnsheepdog » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:01 pm

I've ordered the screen, gasket and new fuel line. The rubber fuel line is brand new and "seems" to be getting gas to the carb. I gained the gas tank and put in new gas and what came out seemed clear. The stuck float may be a good possibility but was loose when I opened the carb. I know I am getting spark to plugs and timing seems to be very close. I will check the fuel cap, it's probably original. Also, I may have missed it in all the replies but how do you set the governor? Noticed it has a lot of "tension" on the rod when I unhooked it from the carb. Not sure how long order will take but will be working on other possibilities in the meantime and report back. Also, with me seeing what appears to be gas in the air inlet, is it like older cars and the float is sinking and flooding the carb, just a thought. THANKS ALL!!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:57 pm

Carburetor Linkage Adjustment.jpg

Did you visually look into the fuel tank, with a light, and check for debris around the fuel outlet?

The Cub carburetor (both types) are an updraft style carb. In a "no start" situation, the fuel drains back down the throat and out the drain and air intake. Perfectly normal.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

A. K. Trenfor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:04 pm

Hi,
The IH carburetor and the Zenith carb use the same throttle rod with the yoke, ahead of the carb. :)
Last edited by Glen on Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:41 am

The number 1 thing I would check is fuel flow. Remove the hex plug from the lower, rear of the carb. Place a clean container under the carb. and turn on the fuel valve. If you get a good steady stream of fuel, the flow is good. A drip or dribble, not so much. That little 5 min. test will point you either to the tank / line system or the carb.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:14 pm

Hi,
You haven't said if the choke is connected so you can use it when sitting on the seat.

Cubs and LoBoys have a manual choke, used to enrich the gas mixture when starting the cold engine, and until the engine warms up.
The engine should start when cold using the choke, and not need spray in the intake.
You have to adjust the choke position as the engine warms up, too little choke and the engine may stop.
Also if you put a load on the engine when it's not warmed up, and have too little choke on, the engine may stop.

Different Cubs and LoBoys need different amounts of choke, some may need little, some may need more.

I think there is a choke rod in your pic, but not sure, the pic is sort of small.
Below is a listing at TM Tractor showing the arm for the choke rod to connect to on the carburetor.
The original IH one had a different look.
You can see where it goes on the pic of the Zenith carb below.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/522fp.htm

The engine can stop at low speed if the low idle speed adjustment screw is backed out too far.
The low idle speed adjustment screw needs to be set right.
The low idle speed is supposed to be 500 RPM.
The adjustment screw is on the engine side of the carburetor, on the linkage near the top of the carb.
Below is a pic from TM Tractor.
Attachments
Cub carb Z 4.jpg

Return to “Farmall Cub”