This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Restoration opinions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dmpetersjr
Zip Code: 98390
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub

Restoration opinions

Postby dmpetersjr » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:22 pm

I’m new to the forum and am starting a mild restoration of a 1950 cub. It runs very good. It will be a parade tractor and something to help teach my grandsons how to turn wrenches and how things mechanical work.
It has all its hydraulics but it leaks at main housing. Seems to be a seal. I am considering eliminating hydraulics all together. In other words taking it all off the tractor. Reason being it leaks pretty bad and I really don’t want to spend money or time rebuilding it at this point. I do not have any aspirations of doing a complete restoration and or having it in any shows to win awards. I am about the history of the tractor and originality, but, I won’t be using any hydraulic implements. I am torn on what to do.

I don’t usually post on any forum and especially don’t ask for opinions. But I think this is a safe place to ask for yours.

Thanks for taking the time.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Restoration opinions

Postby indy61 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:40 pm

It's totally up to you. It may de-value the tractor a little but they aren't worth much anyways.
You will need to block off the pump.

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/ghy ... er_001.htm

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:54 pm

Welcome to the Forum! We're glad that you feel comfortable enough to ask for an opinion. I'd agree with Indy61--up to you. Since you believe it's a 1950, you might double-check to see if it falls into the Demonstrator range. There should be a serial number plate, located on the front, right side of the tractor where the steering rod connects to the front end. That number may be entered in the "What Year is My Cub?" category located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/app.php/page/cub-information

There are also casting dates on your cast iron pieces that you may cross reference here: http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_001.htm

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

Don't know if you have any of the manuals to your Cub, but after your 2nd post on the Forum, you'll have access to the all the PDF Manuals on this site. There’s a few ways to do that:
  • From a desktop or laptop, go to "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals".
  • You can also go to “Cub Info” in the upper toolbar, then hit “Rudi’s Manuals”. From there, you can access a variety of information.
  • If you're using a phone, go to the "Links Directory" (second category down the main page). Once in "Links Directory" , scroll down to the second section "Tractor Parts & Manuals" and you'll find them there.

You'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. Implement Manuals are also available.

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

Might also enjoy reading through this thread (even though it’s for a Cub, much can be applied to any tractor just brought home): What to do with a Cub you just brought home

There are a lot of good threads dealing with Cub repair and maintenance in the How To Forum. Located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

Take some pictures of your tractor and post them, we’d like to see them.

Remember:
• When you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.
• Before posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like, including pictures.
• When adding your comments to a thread, be sure to look at the date of the last poster. If it’s more than a 6 months old, the posters are probably not going to see it. Consider starting a new thread.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Mht
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27606
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub(building from parts) 1950 farmall cub
1971 David Brown 880 selectamatic

Postby Mht » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:08 pm

It’s certainly up to you but if it were mine I’d repair the hydraulic system. It’s not real difficult or expensive to do. It was probably on the tractor originally and it might be a good learning experience to repair it. If you ever change your mind and decide to get any implements you would be glad you have it. Time spent with your grandkids wrenching on the tractor and teaching them things about the tractor and it’s systems is priceless and a cub is the perfect project to work on. Good luck and don’t hesitate to ask questions. Even though I’m an accomplished mechanic this forum is a great resource that I use regularly

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:12 pm

Can you be specific about exactly where the Touch Control is leaking? Maybe a couple of photos. It may not require a complete rebuild to correct.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:20 pm

Welcome to the greatest Cub website on the planet!! :{_}: Like Indy said, it's completely up to you. It's your tractor. One thing to consider though is do you want to show them how to do a good job and have pride in what they do or show them how to just get by and say that's good enough?
I had a neighbor do the later to a John Deere H with his grandson. He kept just getting by and kept telling me that his grandson was going to be proud to own the "restored" tractor once he (the grandpa) passes away. He painted over dents without any attempt at fixing them. I patched up his rear rims that had rusted out but I don't know if he fixed any mechanical issues or not. I think he replaced some gaskets but I'm not aware if any worn items were repaired or replaced. It was green and yellow when they were done with it but that's about it. With a little more effort they could have ended up with a really nice restored tractor that his grandson would be proud to parade or show anywhere once the tractor is his. By doing a quality job I feel his grandson would have learned a lot more about how to do a job and the pride associated with a job well done. That's just my two cents but only you know your situation and abilities.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:03 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Let us know if we can be of any help.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:07 pm

If you have any property with yard or pastures, these cubs do a pretty good mowing job. Certainly nothing like a zero turn mower, but the price is right! So if you ever wanted to install a mower, like a Woods 42 which is inexpensive and does a good job, you might want the hydraulics...without it, you would need to find a manual lift assembly, which can be difficult to find.

WELCOME, and enjoy your "new" Cub!!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

dmpetersjr

Postby dmpetersjr » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:52 pm

Thanks Ricky Racer you make a good point about showing them how to do it right. My oldest grandson is just a year old and the other one in a newborn so I’m a little ahead of the game but I couldn’t pass this tractor up. Don, I haven’t broke into it yet but I think it’s an o ring. The previous owner said he thought it was a cracked case that had been previously fixed. But closer inspection, without having it off machine, looks to be something internal. I’ve been in hydraulics before. I operated a motor grader for 21 years I owned and operated one for 13 years of those and did a lot of work on it myself, but my no means am I an expert or even close. I do have 2 of the original manuals. As you guys know they don’t go into rebuilding the hydraulics but there is a good YouTube video on it.
I’m going to rebuild it and not cutting corners and respect the history of the tractor. Thanks guys for helping me work this out here. Thanks for all of your insights I appreciate it.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:58 pm

Now that you have two posts, you should have access to all the manuals on the site (upper right corner of the page under Quick Links).
Also check out the How-to section. There were two main versions of the hydraulic Touch Control. I believe there are How-tos specific for each one, if you want to get a more specific idea what to expect inside.

If you decide you don’t want to bother with the hydraulics, there are usually people looking to purchase the parts. You can post a for sale ad on the Vine (classified) section of the site. That can be used to finance other parts and repairs. You just need a cover to keep the engine oil in after you take the hydraulic pump off.

On the other hand, rebuilding/repairing the hydraulics are not that hard, either.
Last edited by Crimson Tim on Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:00 pm

Depending on your Touch Control Block#, here are two HOW TO's on rebuilding it:

The earlier block:
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=89514
And the later block:
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=42857
There is also one on rebuilding the pump:
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=44196
If you do a search, you will also find many posts on the subject.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

dmpetersjr

Postby dmpetersjr » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:04 pm

Thank you! I appreciate your help.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:22 pm

These are old tractors. I worry when they stop leaking.

If you spray the engine with citrus or a simple green degreaser, let it sit and do a presser wash it may help you trace the leaks. It may not be the hydraulic system at all.

The front and rear main seals leak. The finals leak. When the hydraulics leak it is usually the pump and the leak is into the oil pan. If you make a good effort to clean it may give you a better picture of the sources of the leaks.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:25 pm

Hi,
If the Touch Control leaks from the front of the unit, the Control Valve o ring could be wornout, and need replacing.
The Touch Control cylinder and piston could be leaking, that is higher up than the control valve.
Use a light, and try to see where it is leaking.

If the unit is leaking at the front, it is sort of common that the Control Valve o ring is leaking.
If the unit works normally when it has fluid in it, and you don't want to rebuild the whole unit, you could replace just the control valve o ring, if only it is leaking.

Below is a listing at TM Tractor showing a new Control Valve o ring, it is a Case IH part, it says. There is a pic there showing where it is.
The valve pulls out the front of the block. You don't need to remove the Touch Control head, on the rear of the block, by the dash, to replace the control valve o ring.
If the head end of the unit is not leaking, that end of the unit is not the problem.

You may need to remove the 4 bolts that hold the unit onto the clutch housing, the tubes, and the control lever rod, and turn it to the left to get the valve out. You have to lift it some, the bolt heads for the bottom cover would keep it from turning to the side. Or you can remove the unit and set it on your work bench.
You would probably need to remove the starter rod, and the choke rod to remove the unit.
Drain the system first, like the owner's manual says, remove the filler plug, then the drain plug.

Whenever disassembling a Touch Control, it should be clean. Don't allow any dirt or grit inside the unit.
If you need to replace the o ring, clean the area well, and use plenty of Hy-Tran fluid on the o ring and valve, when putting the o ring on the valve, and when putting the valve into the unit again.
Feel the area around the hole for the valve in the block, be sure it is smooth and clean.
Any roughness can cut the new o ring.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/674fp.htm

If you wanted, if you take the unit off the Cub, you could remove the bottom cover, and clean the strainer. The strainer is visible from the bottom of the unit, but can't be removed from the bottom.
It slides out the head end of the block, after removing the head.
Below is a listing for the strainer at TM Tractor, you can look at the pics and see what it looks like.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/918fp.htm

The bottom cover has many bolts, and a gasket, the gasket probably would need replacing if you took the cover off. TM Tractor has a new gasket. I would use some sealer on the gasket, it might help prevent seeping over time.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/471fp.htm

When you get it to work, remember to fill the unit the last time with the arms in the rear or down position, like the Cub operator's manual says.

Below is a post I made about checking and changing the Touch Control fluid.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106664

Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the front of a Touch Control, with the rockshaft off.
The Control Valve is at the lower right, right in the pic.
If the cylinder and piston are leaking, you do have to remove the head, to get the piston out, and replace the o rings for it. :)
Attachments
Cub T C 4.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmpetersjr

Postby dmpetersjr » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:12 pm

Thank you for the in-depth info gentlemen I appreciate it very much. I will definitely use every bit of all of your knowledge. Be well.

Return to “Farmall Cub”