Pulloff: Cub vs Modern subcompact

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ntrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Pulloff: Cub vs Modern subcompact

Postby ntrenn » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:54 pm

Gary S. wrote:I'd be real surprised if you could buy a used 11 year old compact tractor complete with mower and snow plow for 5K and have it do it's job for 60 years with minimal maintenance. But that's what our Cub has done. Couple of front tires,brakes,some spark plugs,oil,antifreeze,batteries,a mag replaced with a distributor,clutch and now ready for some rears. Dad's 600 dollar investment is still paying off even out lasting him,I'm sure it will become his grandson's "problem"

Only 51 years here on a 6 year old tractor...same kind of maintenance record.

Waif
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Waif » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:36 pm

Not sure what is being compared here...
Get the new compact down to 9 H.P. for starters.
Then rear wheel drive. Then compare.

But if the test includes operators holding lances.....That would be more on the operators. L.o.l..

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:09 pm

I pull out big rocks out of holes with my fcub? My int154 with a sub soiler on the 3 pt hitch loosened the soil around the rocks. Then with chains the fcub pulled them out. I had duallies on the fcub. I’d like to see that pull with a locking diff in the fcub?

Facts.
I found out logging firewood you can have all the hp in the world if you can’t put it to the ground it’s wasted. I built a c30 2wd wrecker framed truck into 4 wheel drive with 4:10 gears and locking diff’s. Inbetween logging permits I had one week to do it. Started at 10am by 2 am I had the front axle bolted in. You couldn’t stop that truck off road, I had a 400 th tranny when it went the second time I put in a four speed with granny gear, the 400 th tranny pulled harder. It had a 3 k stall speed torque converter. I rebuilt it my self. It lasted till I picked up a 4 speed. I stripped four Chevy 4wd trucks for parts.

The 400th tranny failed because I trusted a auto tranny shop to rebuild it for me. They stole my heavy duty one way clutch that had more rollers for lock up. When I took it apart it had a standard clutch pack.

I trust no one working on my stuff now.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.