This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Finding a mower for a Cub help

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cpy911
Zip Code: 97045
Circle of Safety: Y

Finding a mower for a Cub help

Postby cpy911 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:26 pm

Hi,

I am new to the forum here. Recently found out that I am inheriting a Farmall Cub (late 40's?) vintage from my late father-in law. We recently purchased a small hobby farm with 5 acres of pasture. One immediate need is to clip/mow the pastures and I have no equipment to do this with. Paid a guy this year to do it with a really nice fancy 30K tractor! Anyhow, I was thinking the Cub could do it, albeit slowly. I researched this website and think a 42" rotary belly mount mower by Woods or Danco would work. I went shopping around and here in the pacific northwest, did not have any luck finding anything. Went to eBay and closest areas are in the south eastern US, shipping costing 3X the mower itself!

Any advice on other places to look?

The more I learn about these old machines, the more impressed at the versatility and capabilities for an "old" antique that others may want to look over for the expensive fancy new compact diesel tractors out there where used ones are almost same price as new ones!

Picture of the little red...sitting at my in-laws in Idaho, waiting for shipment to me in Oregon.

Thank you kindly!
Regards,
Justin

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YODjxkoqZMtnNfcKK_lxrcVMOABWcjAL/view?usp=sharing

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Finding a mower for a Cub help

Postby indy61 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:40 pm

A good complete mower for a Cub may be hard to find, especially in your area.
It looks like the hydraulic touch control may have been altered on that tractor.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:58 pm

Did you check the price of a new Woods mower? It looks like there are dealers close to you.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

cpy911

Postby cpy911 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:21 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Did you check the price of a new Woods mower? It looks like there are dealers close to you.

They still make them? I called woods today and the tech guy said they don't make any belly mowers any more?! But, I can do more digging to find out.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:58 pm

I thought they did, but maybe I'm wrong.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:05 pm

If nothing else, a self-powered pull-behind is always an option. Craigslist and Facebook marketplace are other places to look for Cub stuff in addition to eBay.

Also, did you post a wanted ad here on the Vine (classified) part of this forum? Between that and the Cub Express, you might be able to work something out.

I find it takes a long time of lurking around different sites before you find what you’re looking for at a reasonable price. Cubs are pretty sparse in Florida, too, but with (a lot of) patience, I’ve been able to find most of what I’m looking for.

xbartx
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 97504
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub

Postby xbartx » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:52 pm

I’m down in Southern Oregon and recently went on a quest to find parts for my mower. I put a ad in Craigslist, got a few replies but nothing came through. But I’m out often cycling in the countyside and see cubs from time to time. Several weeks ago I spotted a cub with a mower and inquired about it. I ended up buying the mower and it is my winter project. They are out there!

cpy911

Postby cpy911 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:I thought they did, but maybe I'm wrong.

I may have gotten bad information...I am going to do more digging...

cpy911

Postby cpy911 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Crimson Tim wrote:If nothing else, a self-powered pull-behind is always an option. Craigslist and Facebook marketplace are other places to look for Cub stuff in addition to eBay.

Also, did you post a wanted ad here on the Vine (classified) part of this forum? Between that and the Cub Express, you might be able to work something out.

I find it takes a long time of lurking around different sites before you find what you’re looking for at a reasonable price. Cubs are pretty sparse in Florida, too, but with (a lot of) patience, I’ve been able to find most of what I’m looking for.

Great advice. I will think about these options....

cpy911

Postby cpy911 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:01 pm

indy61 wrote:A good complete mower for a Cub may be hard to find, especially in your area.
It looks like the hydraulic touch control may have been altered on that tractor.

I know he added a winch to raise that large drag up and down and you can see the control for that. Could this machine not have hydraulics? Can that be determined by the picture? I assume I would need hydraulics with a belly mower?

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby indy61 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:11 pm

I don't think that tractor had hydraulic lift. They had a hand lift for attachments but finding parts for that will be difficult also.

cpy911

Postby cpy911 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:26 pm

indy61 wrote:I don't think that tractor had hydraulic lift. They had a hand lift for attachments but finding parts for that will be difficult also.

It looks like there is a mid mount blade. Is that hydraulic operated or just manual? Could I still use a mid mount mower?

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby indy61 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:37 pm

I've really seen nothing like it. I think going to a belly mower will require custom craftsmanship.

cpy911

Postby cpy911 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:44 pm

indy61 wrote:I've really seen nothing like it. I think going to a belly mower will require custom craftsmanship.

I’m confused. Am I correct that a stock factory Cub will accept a belly mower?

I’ll need to figure out if this has been modified from stock.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:01 pm

Have you thought about purchasing a slightly more modern tractor than the Cub. One with standard PTO, hydraulics and more HP on the drawbar and PTO.

I own a standard Cub with 42" woods belly mower. Mow pasture, not really. Well I could, but it would take me a week to mow the 16/17 acres in 1st gear. WD Allis and 5 foot tow behind mower, $1000-, 2nd gear, about 6 or 7 hours.

Edit. More photos of the tractor from all sides and any attachments.
Last edited by Eugene on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”