Oversized final drive mounting holes

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mht
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 27606
Tractors Owned: 1949 farmall cub(building from parts) 1950 farmall cub
1971 David Brown 880 selectamatic
Circle of Safety: Y

Oversized final drive mounting holes

Postby Mht » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:36 pm

I’m replacing the final drives on my current cub project due to broken implement mounting holes. The left side final has several holes that have been tapped oversized to 7/16 bolts. I really hate to drill the mounting holes oversize in the replacement final. Should I repair the oversized holes with a helicoil to restore the holes to the original 3/8-16 thread or just stay with the 7/16 size and drill out the replacement final. I plan on working the tractor so I’m not really concerned with it being original but want it to hold up long term. The 7/16 bolts are a little bit of a pain as there is not enough clearance with the final drive housing to get a socket on them. Does anyone know off the top of their head if the proper drill size for a 3/8 helicoil will remove the threads from the 7/16 hole so I can get full threads for the helicoil to thread into.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Oversized final drive mounting holes

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:26 pm

A 3/8" helicoil takes an X drill bit (.3970). A 7/16" bit is .4375. I think you'd need to use a solid insert like an EZ-Lok or similar, the regular size takes a 1/2" drill size. The thin wall locking takes a 29/64' (.45) drill size which would remove minimal extra material. The non-locking version takes a 31/64" drill (.48). McMaster-Carr has different sizes in different materials, you might want to confirm what I've listed.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Re: Oversized final drive mounting holes

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:51 am

Another option, for you, 7/16" bolts are available with a flanged head with an undersized hex. I see them with 7/16" hex, from McMaster, but other sources may have other sizes. There are also 12 point heads and socket head bolts. I would generally prefer to restore to the original size but when someone has already messed with them, it may not always be the best way.