This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydraulic Pump Gear and Key Fitment Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Hydraulic Pump Gear and Key Fitment Question

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:47 pm

Does anyone know if any Cub hydraulic pumps used a different size woodruff key on the pump shaft? This would in turn change the size/fitment of the gear also. I have a pump that was missing those 2 parts and I tried a key and gear from another Cub pump and can not for anything get the gear to fit. The key was pretty hard to fit too. If it helps, my pump is a lip seal type and the gear and woodruff key are from a pump with the shaft o-ring.
Attachments
80AEB3C6-D27D-4C60-BD33-2B06D18552A9.jpeg
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: Hydraulic Pump Gear and Key Fitment Question

Postby Barnyard » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:07 pm

Should all be the same.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:09 pm

If you found a lip seal in there, then someone has already altered at least that much. The pumps used o-rings from the factory throughout production.

So the key and the gear were matched together from a different Cub? Things should be a very precise fit. What prevents the gear from going on? The key or the shaft? The key can be a slippery bugger and shift around on you while you’re trying to slip the gear on. If it’s not lined up just right, it won’t go.
Also, if the keyway got messed up, someone could have welded it up and remachined the groove, so maybe the machining tolerances worked for the original gear, but not for your substitution.

Also also, did you fish around in the bottom of the engine for the missing gear? If the tabbed washer is omitted or fails, the pump nut and gear will come off into the bottom of the engine.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:17 pm

I thought they all were the same. It might work better if I replace the old key with a new one. Some of the older pumps did have a regular type oil seal in them. Thanks guys.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:27 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote:I thought they all were the same. It might work better if I replace the old key with a new one. Some of the older pumps did have a regular type oil seal in them. Thanks guys.

That’s right. The original pumps had thick a leather seal, if I recall. Not sure when they changed to the o-ring. But a lip seal is decidedly modern.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:32 pm

* NEWS FLASH *

I got it installed without any fuss. I replaced the Key with the correctly sized #3 that I found in my hardware drawer and that was the problem. Any kind of little burr will keep thinks frol working correctly. Can’t wait to get this on my Cubbwnd see how the rebuild went with the lip seal. Thanks for clarifying that the parts are the same, and giving me the little confidence to keep trying and not calling it a night!
Attachments
7AFDD751-B9BE-46C8-BA24-19B1DCB82F19.jpeg
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:00 pm

Crimson Tim wrote:
AL Farmall Boy wrote:I thought they all were the same. It might work better if I replace the old key with a new one. Some of the older pumps did have a regular type oil seal in them. Thanks guys.

That’s right. The original pumps had thick a leather seal, if I recall. Not sure when they changed to the o-ring. But a lip seal is decidedly modern.
I have one of the old pumps that came with a leather seal. Unfortunately it had worn a pretty bad groove on the shaft, but the new replacement seals are much thinner, so it was easy to seat the new seal in a different place to avoid the groove.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!