This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Time for TLC on Workhorse

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Time for TLC on Workhorse

Postby k hutchins » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:13 pm

As stated previously, the first rule in medicine is "do no harm".
I started this project to chase down and fix a serious oil lead that was coming from the bell housing. I assumed that it was the rear main seal. What l discovered was the rear of the oil pan was the main culprit. As long as l had it apart, l sent the seal off to tst to have it redone any way.
Some on here suggested l check the bearings whi.e it was torn down. I did and discovered l was outside of "acceptable" tolerances by .002. So l ordered and installed new std bearings on the journals and the piston arms. Back to specs.
I then reinstalled new gaskets (all on the block) and started putting it back together. Cleaning everything l touched as l went.
Today the hood went back on after installing a new wire harness l made. Hooked up the gas line, added a quart of fresh gas, fingers crossed, pulled the starter and away he went. Fired on the 4th try when l toggled the choke a little.
Let in run until it got up to temp. Checked all the guages and for leaks. Everything is good.

Thanks for the advice and info along the way. Hopefully my fumblings will help someone else in the future.

That's all for this thread, unless l post pics when it gets warmer and l paint the hood.

Thanks again
Hutch
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:37 pm

And another one resurrected!! :tractor:

Great feeling, isn't it. It really takes all my courage to pull the starter rod, after doing major work on one of mine!! Too many things I could have forgotten, or done wrong! I'm always ready for sparks, or smoke, or massive leaks...guess I'm a bit of a pessimist, or lack confidence!

Good job! :hattip:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:28 pm

Don't forget to re torque the head bolts.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:49 pm

Dale, believe me. I was so paranoid that l missed a step.
Had to resplit to adjust clutch (easier that way). Assemble, disassemble fan to get shroud on and belt adjusted. Started installing head bolts, forgot plug wire holder. Spent 20 min looking for a dogleg only to find it still attached to the grill. Ready to hook up the battery, almost hooked neg to ground. After all that, it still fired up. :{_}: Believe me, l had my fingers crossed.

Glen, yes l remembered the gold coat on the gasket, and doped the bolts. I even redoped #1 after taking it out to install the plug wire holder. I also primed the oil pump (it took a little more than 1/2 pint before it ran back out at me.)

Stan, l will, but l'll wait a bit. I only ran it for 5-10 min. I'd like to get a couple hours on it before retorque.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Return to “Farmall Cub”