Installing new valve guides

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Condre'
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39401

Installing new valve guides

Postby Condre' » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:29 pm

I was attempting to install new valve guides. I put them in the freezer over night and drove a couple in with a 1/2 inch brass punch. No difficulties.
Fortunately I looked at them before I installed any more. It looked like the opening had been deformed by the brass punch, which had apparently happened since when I tried to insert a valve into the guide it would not go in. Gee, I thought you used a brass punch because it wouldn't deform steel. Should I pull them out and get new ones and that tool for inserting them that I've seen for sale on line?

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Installing new valve guides

Postby tst » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:40 pm

I use a brass punch that has the end cut to the valve size so when you drive it in it does not damage the guide, do a pile of these, also many need to be honed to the correct size as they are to tight, a ball hone for that is cheap and will fix you damaged guide also

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Re: Installing new valve guides

Postby Gary S. » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:10 pm

Years ago I was heavy into aircooled VW's. I realize aluminum is different than cast iron but for the tool used to push the guide in you would find a rod or use a cut off non threaded bolt that would fit snugly into the guide. Then you would find a nut driver that is hollow that the bolt or rod fits into. You'd then push the phosphor-bronze guide on to the rod section and put it into dry ice. Then the head would go into a oven. When you were ready the guide would push in by hand. That way you would not beat up the guide either
100_2434.JPG
On a side note there was no way mom would let you use her oven- knew enough to not even ask. But grandma didn't mind :)