This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New to the forum

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Windmill
Zip Code: 68360

New to the forum

Postby Windmill » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:35 am

I am restoring a 1948 Cub. It came with a sickle mower, and I have a blade, but not sure if I have all the hardware to attach it. I'm anxious to see what I can learn from this forum.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New to the forum

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:39 am

You have come to the right place!! Many knowledgeable folks are here to help. Once you have a another post, you will have access to the manuals, for the cub as well as implements, including the sickle mower.

Welcome! :hattip:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:06 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Let us know if we can be of any help.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:02 pm

Welcome to the Forum! Nice to see another heartland Midwesterner on here!

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

Don't know if you have any of the manuals to your Cub, but after your 2nd post on the Forum, you'll have access to the all the PDF Manuals on this site. There’s a few ways to do that:
  • From a desktop or laptop, go to "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals".
  • You can also go to “Cub Info” in the upper toolbar, then hit “Rudi’s Manuals”. From there, you can access a variety of information.
  • If you're using a phone, go to the "Links Directory" (second category down the main page). Once in "Links Directory" , scroll down to the second section "Tractor Parts & Manuals" and you'll find them there.

You'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. Implement Manuals are also available.

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

Might also enjoy reading through this thread (even though it’s for a Cub, much can be applied to any tractor just brought home): What to do with a Cub you just brought home

There are a lot of good threads dealing with Cub repair and maintenance in the How To Forum. Located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

Take some pictures of your tractor and post them, we’d like to see them.

Remember:
• When you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.
• Before posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like, including pictures.
• When adding your comments to a thread, be sure to look at the date of the last poster. If it’s more than a 6 months old, the posters are probably not going to see it. Consider starting a new thread.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:05 pm

I'm 3ight there with this guy. I believe besides the pitman arm I need what attaches it to the blade. I also need a pulley. But I think this item will be the last to try and get going

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:04 pm

Hi,
The Cub operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1949 Cub operator's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that a 1948 Cub originally had.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.

The 10W oil mentioned in the manual for the Touch Control, was changed later to use Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

Below is the Cub 22 Mower owner's manual from 1952, it has lots of info.
Pages 10, 11, 12, and 13 show the parts of the mower, and putting it on the Cub.
You don't use the manual lift lever shown in the manual, if the Cub has Touch Control.

http://www.farmallcub.info/galleries/ci ... _Mower.asp

Below are pics from TM Tractor of a Cub 22 mower on a Cub.
They don't all have the same guard at the rear, over the belt. Newer mowers have a different guard.

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gim/cub22_001.htm

Many of the Cub 22 mowers use 2 of the special IH tapered head bolts to hold it onto the clutch housing, and 1 at the rear, to hold it onto the left final drive.
Look at the mounting brackets, if the area around the 3 holes are tapered, it should have the tapered head bolts.
The upper hole at the rear uses a regular bolt, and lockwasher. I think the length is shown in the manual. The drawbar should be on the Cub before putting the mower on, it says.
The tapered head bolts help keep the mower from vibrating loose.
The mounting bolts have to be tight, and checked some, and tightened if loose. They can vibrate loose.

Below are listings at TM Tractor for the bolts.
The 1" long bolts can be used to hold the mower onto the clutch housing.
The 1 1/4" long bolt is used at the rear, if you have the drawbar on the Cub.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/gb/324fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/sp/445fp.htm

Below is the Cub 54 Blade operator's manual.
It is for the blade with the spring on the lift, at the front. Older blades had no spring there.
Good luck. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html
Last edited by Glen on Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:11 pm

Wow! Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Robert Cool
Zip Code: 28645
Tractors Owned: 1971International Cub

Postby Robert Cool » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:31 am

Welcome aboard....this forum is fantastic!

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:25 pm

Couldn't find any pics from when we bought the Cub, but here is one with it stripped down, and after I painted it.
1-P4151263.jpg

1-PA150334.jpg

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:07 pm

Hi,
The Cub looks really good in your pic. :)

I noticed that maybe it has rubber or something at the radiator filler neck.

Sometimes people use rubber on top of the radiator because the hood support brackets are broken off the hood, and gone.
There were originally brackets welded to the hood on both sides at the front. They are bolted to the radiator side supports with 5/16" x 1/2" long bolts, and a lock washer on each bolt.
The bolts have to be short, the radiator is there at the holes. The holes have nuts welded on the supports.
Below is a listing at TM Tractor for new brackets, there are pics of where they go on the hood.
I don't know if yours are gone, but someone might need the info. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/827fp.htm

Cubfriend
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 68803
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub, Kittie; 1948 Cub, Harold; 1949 Cub, 49er; 1951 Cub, Tucker; 1951 Cub, Homely; 1956 Cub High Crop; 1957 Cub Loboy; 57 Cub Loboy w/fasthitch + 194 plow; 1958 Cub LoBoy w/FH, Popeye; 1961 Cub, Beater; #1-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot Throttle; #2-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot throttle; Yellow 1963 Cub Loboy and blade; 1970 Cub, Cubbie; and 5 other Cubs in various stages of disaasembly and disrepair; 1962 Cub Cadet Original; 2 other Cub Cadet Originals; Cub Cadet 100; Cub Cadet 124 w/Creeper; Cub Cadet 147; 2 Cub Cadet 129's; Cub Cadet 149; 1948 Allis Chalmers C w/single frontwheel; 1944 Farmall H w/Tokhiem Cab; 2 One Point Fasthitch Carriers; 2-#100 Fasthitch Rear Blade; 2 Sets Cub 144 Cultivators; 2 Sets Cub #252 Cultivators; 3 Cub #193 Mouldboard Plows; 1 Cub #193 Slatted Plow; 1 1948 Cub-54 Snow Plow; 3 Cub-54 49-5 Snow Plows; Cub #6 Tool Bar w/Disc Blades & Middlebuster. 2-#105 sickle mowers, #152 disc plow

Postby Cubfriend » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:10 pm

Welcome to the Forum! I’m just down the road in Grand Island. Lots of help in this forum if you are ever in need.
Frank

Return to “Farmall Cub”