This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Is my rear seal going bad?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Is my rear seal going bad?

Postby Glen » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:27 pm

Hi,
People have said on here that when trying to put a new oil seal in a rear seal retainer used on the first years of Cubs, the seal fits too loose in the retainer.

Your Cub is a 1975, I guess, which is one of the newer Cubs.
I think they have said the seals fit better in those retainers.

You could try a new oil seal in your retainer, and see if it fits tight. It has to fit tight to not leak around the OD of the seal, and so it doesn't fall out of the retainer. Which means it has to be hammered into the retainer.
Below is a new seal at TM Tractor, you can look at the pics. It says it is a Case IH part.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/en/365fp.htm

If it doesn't fit tight, then I would buy a used retainer with new seal from tst, here on this website. He repairs used retainers, and bores them out so a new slightly bigger OD seal fits in the retainer.
You can send him a PM.

Tighten the 3 bolts at the rear of the oil pan gently, they thread into the rear seal retainer. The retainer is soft metal, and threads can strip.

If you have an original clutch in a Cub, and it is still good, people on here have said to not replace it.
They have said the original clutches are better quality than some of the new clutches available today.
I remember reading someone put in a new pressure plate, and probably other clutch parts, he used the Cub only a short time, and had clutch problems.
He looked, and one of the clutch fingers had bent down. He thought the metal used in the finger was too soft.
He had to split the Cub again, and replace the clutch again.

You could check the ignition timing with a timing light, and see if it is set right.
It should be set to the TDC mark when the engine is running at slow idle speed, which is about 500 RPM.
It should be set right so it will start and run good. :)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:44 pm

Don’t park anything close to Harley’s they pick up bad habits.

My old boss the head mechanic called a cj5 soaked underneath with oil running seepage, I call it rust proofing. Any leak to me is unacceptable.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Clemsonfor » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:54 pm

My old k10 leaks out of a bunch of places. Kind of bothers me. But not really. It seriously is rustproofing for the bottom of the bed and the cab.

Return to “Farmall Cub”