My first international cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Snuffdipper
Zip Code: 78621
Tractors Owned: 1979 Ih cub

My first international cub

Postby Snuffdipper » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:44 pm

Runs and drives, hydraulics don’t work needs new carb and new tires needs seat cushions and needs new paint job real bad
Not sure how to post pictures on here. This is my first post. Ughhh life of a rookie!

tomcat
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71836
Tractors Owned: 49 cub buttercup 49 cub cheesehead 51 cub jim
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My first international cub

Postby tomcat » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:36 pm

Welcome Snuffdipper I have been a member for several years and I still can’t post pictures :big give up:

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:43 pm

Welcome Dipper!
Congrats on your Cub.

Paint is just a cosmetic thing.
Runner is good.
Hang on to your carb even if you score a replacement.
Much can be done with many of the originals.
There is a skinny tube that sticks up inside , so don't break it if you take the carb apart.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:45 pm

Hi,
The International Cubs began during 1964, before that there were Farmall Cubs, I'm not sure which you have. The model is shown on the serial number plate, if it can be read, sometimes the words fade away, or people paint over the plate.
The year can be figured out using the serial number.

The Cub operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1965 Cub and LoBoy operator's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
The index begins on page 75.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 59.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that International Cubs originally had, up into the 1970's.
Cubs made up until mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.
Then IH changed Cubs to 12 volt, negative ground systems.
The manual has info for 6 and 12 volt systems.

The Touch Control has to have fluid to work, the fluid may be low.
I would check the fluid and fill it if it is low, and see if it works right.
If the system is empty, don't run the engine, it can damage the pump to run it with no fluid, the pump has to have fluid for lubrication.
The Touch Control uses Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying it.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

Below is a post I made about checking and changing the Touch Control fluid, and removing the air from the system, if you need it. :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106664

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:18 am

Hi,
I thought I'd try to explain how to post pics on here.
When you go to the area to post a topic, below the box to type in is the buttons for posting pics with the message you type. Push "Attachments", then "Add Files", then the pics stored in your computer will come on. Choose the pic you want to post, click on it, then your computer pics will go off. Wait for it to load in, you can see the progress on the right side.

If you want to post 2 pics, then push "Add Files" again, and do the same things over again that I wrote. If your pic or pics are too big a size, it will say I think, and won't work. Then you need to resize the pic, or pics.
Then when you are done with your message, push "Submit" and it's posted. You can write down the words in the italics so you can find them on the post page, it's helpful probably. Hope that helps. :)

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:51 am

This site makes posting pictures very hard because they have to be so low quality. Most of us have taking pics from a phone and posting from the same phone. Posting pics should be easy but when most phones are taking pics in the 9mb range the site only takes a pic like 600kb max. So you have to have some photo editing/reducing app to save a reduced size. A way I have gotten around this on other sites where I bump the upper limit I just screenshot my own pic and then post but even those are 3 to 4 mb. Way to big still.

The other downside to this size cap is that we do not get very detailed or clear pics here to look at. When you zoom in there really blurry due to file size.

Angelofbrz
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 13865
Tractors Owned: (2) 1952 Farmall Cubs

Postby Angelofbrz » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:58 am

I was brand new a very short time ago new to here and my Cub. The people in this forum are full of great advice and tips to help you get things done. Anything I’ve asked has gotten tons of Responses, advice, and tips. From what I hear anything original like carb that can be rebuilt is far better than much of the new replacement parts. My hydraulics weren’t working either when I got mine home. I flushed it out with the proper stuff and filled it full, and worked the lever back and forth 10-12 times to get out any air and it’s worked great ever since.
Angelo Fabrizi

(2) 1952 Farmall Cubs

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:39 am

This is the app I use on my Samsung phone if I don't resize them on my computer. It's quick and easy!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobilephotoresizer
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:14 am

Glen wrote:If you want to post 2 pics, then push "Add Files" again, and do the same things over again that I wrote.

Actually, if you want to add two files or more, you can hold down the ctrl button and click on each file you want so you can add them all at the same time. That way you don't have to repeat the process for each photo. That can save you some time if you are adding several photos.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:18 am

Dale Finch wrote:This is the app I use on my Samsung phone if I don't resize them on my computer. It's quick and easy!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobilephotoresizer

On my Apple phone, I just email them to myself and the phone will ask if I want to resize them. I select medium and send. When I open my email I just save them again and they are sized just right for the forum.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:33 am

FECFDCF1-6F46-41C0-8E9A-86EF58C1C6A2.jpeg
My sunflower

When I post a pic with my iphone, when I go to photos, it asks what size. I choose medium. I have XR phone.

You can name it too. My sunflower
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B
'42 Allis B
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:59 pm

I still resize in paint!--if it works use it! lol!! ---everybody has their pref. and you have to try several ways to see what you want.

Plywud
Zip Code: 98042

Postby Plywud » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:37 pm

There is just so much information available on the internet. Got my cub, carb was leaking like it wasn't there. Bought a carb kit from Steiner, they have a video on how to rebuild it, google "utube steiner farmall cub carb rebuild"l and follow the directions. I sat the old carb on a towel on my desk in front of my lap top and just hit pause after each step. I've never rebuilt a carb in my life, took it out and plugged it back in and works like a champ. Did the same thing, just not on my desk, with the clutch and both final drives, and now working on the touch control. I paint as i fix stuff and the area around it that's accessable. I buy new bolts and nuts to replace the old ones, mine is a 1948, so I can see what I have done if i have painted something I haven't or didn't need repair.

RJ

Snuffdipper
Zip Code: 78621
Tractors Owned: 1979 Ih cub

Postby Snuffdipper » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:21 pm

Ordered new carb, steel fuel line sediment bowl inlet screen hydraulic pump rebuild kit and the big hydraulic box rebuild kit also new seat cushions and oil pressure gauge hope that will get her going better. She runs and drives but have to keep playing with the choke to keep her going. It quit charging so guess I’ll need a new alternator too. Ain’t one thing it’s a dozen
“The worst was the best at the time”

Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:18 am

Welcome to the Forum!

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

Don't know if you have any of the manuals to your Cub, but now that you’ve logged your 2nd post, you'll have access to the all the PDF Manuals on this site. There’s a few ways to do that:
  • From a desktop or laptop, go to "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals".
  • You can also go to “Cub Info” in the upper toolbar, then hit “Rudi’s Manuals”. From there, you can access a variety of information.
  • If you're using a phone, go to the "Links Directory" (second category down the main page). Once in "Links Directory" , scroll down to the second section "Tractor Parts & Manuals" and you'll find them there.

You'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. Implement Manuals are also available.

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

There are a lot of good threads dealing with Cub repair and maintenance in the How To Forum. Located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

Take some pictures of your tractor and post them, we’d like to see them.

Remember:
• When you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.
• Before posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like, including pictures.
• When adding your comments to a thread, be sure to look at the date of the last poster. If it’s more than a 6 months old, the posters are probably not going to see it. Consider starting a new thread.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety