This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear Seal Retainer, PP, and TOB Woes

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Rear Seal Retainer, PP, and TOB Woes

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:11 pm

I wanted to share what I have found in my last two Cub splits, (click on the pics to enlarge them):

A while back I removed this retainer and seal:
IMG_1304.jpg

This seal has a snap ring to secure in the retainer. I'm sorry that I do not remember the Cub I took it from. I suspect that this retainer may have been modified by Phil Lenke, however, I have no way to know for sure.

Labor Day Jim and Eva Hansen brought their Cub (purchased at auction) to the Cubhouse MiniFest to be split with the help of a couple of local friends. This one was very interesting with a few surprises:
IMG_1302.jpg

Most interesting was we know who modified this retainer:
IMG_1303.jpg

This is the pressure plate we found with the fingers adjusted to less than an inch and each nut safety wired.
IMG_1296 (1).jpg

It was obvious that the person doing the wiring was good at it:
IMG_1297.jpg

The TOB was a metal bearing mounted in a graphite TOB housing:
IMG_1298.jpg

More to pics to come in the next post. I've reached the limit of pic posting.

Bill
Last edited by Bill Hudson on Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Re: Rear Seal Retainer, PP, and TOB Woes

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:19 pm

More pics of TOB. (Click on the pics to enlarge them.)
The backside of the metal TOB in a graphite TOB holder. Notice that the TOB is missing some chunks of metal:
IMG_1300.jpg

Here is a shot of the two TOBs side-by-side:
IMG_1299.jpg

All in all we had a great day especially since Jim and Eva brought a new clutch, PP and TOB with them.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:03 am

I'm missing the "Woes" part. Sounds like you had a really great day!
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:11 am

spin the main shaft to make sure it is fairly straight, and not bent causing the uneven wear inside the bearing
safety wire not a bad idea, Loctite much easier to use, love the square nuts on there

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:13 am

This seal has a snap ring to secure in the retainer. I'm sorry that I do not remember the Cub I took it from. I suspect that this retainer may have been modified by Phil Lenke, however, I have no way to know for sure.

Bill. towards the end of me doing retainers, I located and bought 100 snaprings (minimum order) and started installing those on my last batch of retainers. When Phil too over the process, I sold him snaprings and he set up the CNC process with that groove. I'm not sure if Phil did every retainer that way or gave an option. All my retainers were etched with KubKraft on the backside along with the date of machining.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:21 am

Rick Prentice wrote:

Bill. towards the end of me doing retainers, I located and bought 100 snaprings (minimum order) and started installing those on my last batch of retainers. When Phil too over the process, I sold him snaprings and he set up the CNC process with that groove. I'm not sure if Phil did every retainer that way or gave an option. All my retainers were etched with KubKraft on the backside along with the date of machining.

Rick

Rick,
I just went to the Cubhouse to be check the retainer with the snap ring (turns out I had another one in my stash of used retainers), no etching on either of the retainers.

Bill
Bill

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:11 am

I like the snap ring. Wish I had that. After having my retainer machined, I really felt bad staking in the new seal.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43783

Postby 1541 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:42 am

Bill, did Jim & Eva bring Maddie along?
Buckeye Cub Tug
July 26 & 27, 2024
Somerset, Ohio

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:21 am

1541 wrote:Bill, did Jim & Eva bring Maddie along?

You betcha!! Jim's first trip to the Cubhouse, Eva and Maddie's second.

Bill
Bill

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:25 pm

Rick[/quote]

Rick,
I just went to the Cubhouse to be check the retainer with the snap ring (turns out I had another one in my stash of used retainers), no etching on either of the retainers.

Bill[/quote]

My retainer neither has the snap ring or the etching. Could mine be ultra valuable as a Rick Prentice pre production prototype ? :wink: :lol:

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:32 am

My retainer neither has the snap ring or the etching. Could mine be ultra valuable as a Rick Prentice pre production prototype ? :wink: :lol:

Sorry Gary, every snap ring retainer I did would've had KubKraft and the date etched into the left lower cavity on the back with my dremel and small rotary file. Tim probably uses on of mine as a paper weight to hold down all his receipts :{_}:
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"