Fuel filter for sediment bowl.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fuel filter for sediment bowl.

Postby inairam » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:51 am

Clemsonfor wrote: you can drain it and let it dry and suck it out with a flexible tube for your shop vac. May have to reduce it down to 3/8 fuel line or 3/4 heater hose but is doable.

Like I said easy to clean the sediment bowl harder to vacuum out the tank.

I really do not think there is too much of a loss of capacity It is more the issue of stuff staying in the tank. But any increase in the "empty" level could trap water in the bottom of the tank and not get to the sediment bowl.

There are a bunch of posts on tank cleaning. so a clean tank, clean gas storage, and the fine mesh filter on the sediment bowl you are protecting your carb.

There are also many posts about restricted fuel flow issues. If the in-tank filter clogs or is restricting flow in some way how do you know? drain the tank and take out the sediment bowl to inspect the filter? a lot of work vs tunr off the gas, take out and dump the sediment bowl and clean or replace the filter.

I see the in-tank filter has the possibility of causing more problems then it solves. Maybe I an wrong - probably am. It is just one more thing in the fuel system. That makes the fuel system more complicated. The in-tank filter is hard to inspect and clean. It clouds troubleshooting efforts because it is one more thing that should be checked when running down a problem.

I bought 3 of these and was going to do it. Just the more I thought about it the less I liked it. Just my opinion. The original poster was asking for opinions.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:17 am

(Don't NEVER NEVER EVER use a shop vac to suck out a gas tank. Utube has videos of this procedure (and the impending explosion)!
FYI. the Cub fuel bowl is too shallow to accommodate the paper filter in the first link. If a guy really wanted to use one, he could install the bowl and bail from the bigger tractors. I looked in my cabinet and found 7 of those filters, under two part #'s, The filter was the same, different gasket. These would have been intended for certain cars (trucks) from the 50's and 60's. They have been in my cabinet nearly 40 years.

radioguy41
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 18235
Tractors Owned: -
1948 Farmall Cub (Cyrus)
1980 Red IH Cub Cadet 782
1993 Craftsman LT4000
Cub-22 Sickle Mower
Planet Jr/Cole 300A Seeder
IH 59P Shredder

Postby radioguy41 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:56 am

Gary Dotson wrote:If a guy really wanted to use one, he could install the bowl and bail from the bigger tractors.

I'm not sure there's enough room between the tank and the bellhousing to accomodate the longer bowl. I would think IH would have used one, if it had been practical, rather than create a new product code. I'd make sure before ordering one.
Circle of Safety Image ImageImage
KB3WBB

Frozenstate
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 14414
Tractors Owned: F- CUB Fast hitch 1955 #191991J
Snow plow
Super Chief moldboard plow
Spring tooth harrow
Disc
York rake
Carry all
Fast hitch Mott flail mower

Ferris IS 100 61" zero turn

Postby Frozenstate » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:51 pm

I always did what it said on the tractor, "use clean fuel, keep it clean. No need to reinvent something thats works as it should.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:31 pm

Frozenstate wrote:I always did what it said on the tractor, "use clean fuel, keep it clean. No need to reinvent something thats works as it should.

I think most folks use clean fuel. This is probably easier than ever with today's stations and they filter before it goes in your can. And very few people use metal gas tanks to transport these days so it's in a plastic can. Not many people have bulk gas tanks like the farm did 50 years ago that may be sitting around again in a metal tank with water in it.

The problem comes from the metal tank in the tractor and if there is moisture in it, that creates rust and the rust then gets into the fuel system.

I have a 40 year old truck. It has a quadrajet which has the tiny filter in the carb. I have dual metal tanks which have rust in then, cause there metal. I run an online filter before the pump to catch most of the trash before it gets to the pump and then to my carb. I drive the truck 1000 to 2000 miles a year and after a few years I end up with a pinch of rust in that filter, not to mention what was trapped in the paper element. That's just the life with metal tanks, I also only put clean fuel in my truck. It comes right out of a gas pump which filters right before that fuel hits the fuel hose into my tanks.