This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need some advice on tank coating

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jose Wales
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 59 Cub
Ford 8n
Kobota

Need some advice on tank coating

Postby Jose Wales » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:47 pm

Bought the Van Sickle 3 part tank liner kit from YT but before I used it I cleaned the tank with washing soda and rinsed, then I put in vinegar and bolts, rotated and turned for a week. Dumped the vinegar and rinsed several times . The tank looked clean and free of rust at this time. Then I used the VS wash, rinsed several times, let dry and then used the MEK. Put in the VS coating and rotated as directed then dumped the excess. When dry it looked very thin almost no color but it did use about of a third of the can. Let dry and the put in the second coat and drained the excess, used about 3/4s of a can total. It still looks thin with very little color and there is a few thick drops on the bottom probably from dripping from the top as I had it upside down letting the excess drain from the filler.
It is dry and still looks thin, almost like there is none on it, but the adhesion of what is there is good at least will not tear with a screwdriver.
Anyone that has used the VS that can tell me if looking thin is normal? The last bit that drained was red, thick and how I thought is was supposed to look in the tank ???

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ddlebail
Zip Code: E1N6B5
Tractors Owned: :
1960 Farmall Cub
1979 Ford 1700 4X4

Re: Need some advice on tank coating

Postby ddlebail » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:00 pm

While I have not used that particular brand, the product i used appeared to be really thin as well. I purchased quart, and used less than 1/4 of it.
I did not do a second coat, as i did not see that mentioned in the application instructions on my product.
It has only been 8 months since applied, and appears to be no issues.
I believe the older products were thick at one time, almost like a thin ceramic look, but with advances the newer products are thinner in nature.

sevy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12853

Postby sevy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:40 am

I have used the Caswell tank sealer on two of my motorcycle fuel tanks, one steel and one nylon. Both have been doing great for many years.
Pre-cleaning is not as demanding with the Caswell product, and it actually sticks well to a rough rusty surface.

bofahs
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 31522
Tractors Owned: 1965 IH Cub Lo-Boy

Postby bofahs » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:08 pm

Sounds like you did everything right - I'd run it. I have no experience with that brand, but, if a problem is going to develop, it'll probably be first at the screen at the carb inlet. Unless that happens, or unless you had actual holes in the tank you were patching, I'd give it a shot. Use a fiber camera next spring to look for rusting, but I'll bet it's fine.

OTOH, once I found POR 15 tank sealer, that was it for me. Never going back. Hard as glass!

Return to “Farmall Cub”