My first oil change, on new to me cub.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

My first oil change, on new to me cub.

Postby Clemsonfor » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:27 pm

I just got my grand dad's old tractor. It's a 52. I got it from my second cousin who got it from my grandmother when my grand dad went to a nursing home. He died 20 years ago so it was prior to that he got it.

I primed the pump last week before I tried to start it. Got it started this last week. Runs great. I looked at the oil gauge and it was barely out of the red on the gauge. I know it still needs an oil change cause oil was BLACK and I knew it had been awhile. My cousin said he had a Case IH oil filter he would give me that he bought for it. Seeing that he never put it in and that the oil was so black, and I don't think he ever used it for gardening like he thought he would. I don't think he changed it. The pressure worried me. So I went ahead and dropped the oil while it was warm from tinkering with it. Dropped the plug and the black oil came out. Went to unscrew filter drain and the whole tube tried to unscrew. So go get vice grips to hold it and unscrewed wing nut, which was very tight. Nothing came out. I knew there was oil in there cause there was oil pressure. Look at the cap and it's got thick tar sludge in it. Poke a wire up the tube and it's thick sludge. When I poked it up about 3 inches it let a few drops come out. While I was messing with it as the last oil was running out some sludge came out of . I took a screw driver and ran up the tube and It came out covered in BLACK thick oil. That let it run out better, I put some mavel mystery oil in there to flush out some. Also put a bit to run out the pan. But figure I will just drop this oil in not many hours and run MMO in it just before I drop it.

New filter in 15w40 traveler oil in and crank at low idle pressure comes up to half and then almost all the way on the gauge and at high throttle I have all the oil pressure you could want. I can't believe the difference. Shows what fresh proper oil will do!!

CHANGE YOUR oil more often than every 30 years!
At least it had a wix filter

Stanton
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Re: My first oil change, on new to me cub.

Postby Stanton » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:19 am

Glad to hear a good outcome--was worried when I started reading. :shock:

Yes, these tractors need maintenance. A little procrastination along with good intentions doomed many a tractor. Good advice!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:44 am

I was using 10-30 oil but I have switched to the 15-40 too. I think it is a better choice for the older engines. It does help with oil pressure and starting and I think with blow by.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:56 am

I use it because it has a higher zinc content than most 10w30. If you got diesel rated 10w30 it will have a little more though. I use TSC brand zinc because it's still CJ (at least the jusgs I got last year)rated and not CK rated like all the big names and even Walmart. This rating usually has a higher zinc content than the newer spec that all the new modern diesels are rated for and don't need the zinc as high.

Those that don't know zinc is an anti wear additive and flat tappet can engines need it. All the new modern vehicles and oil rating have reduced the zinc rating tremendously over the years. If your into classic cars and or race engines you already know this.