This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Member, Old Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jose Wales
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 59 Cub
Ford 8n
Kobota

New Member, Old Cub

Postby Jose Wales » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:34 pm

Saw this Cub and had to buy it, I think it is a 1959 model, serial no. 213710. Runs great and looks good but when you shut it off it floods and will not start until the bowl is drained and left to dry a bit. The previous owner put on a $30 dollar Amazon carb. What carb would be the best to replace it with that is a decent price? I grew up with Farmalls in the 50s M,MTA, A so it is great to have another.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Member, Old Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:59 pm

The previous owner didn't happen to save the original carb and pass it along to you did he? If so, fix it. If not, first thing I would try is to open up the one you have and adjust the float level and float drop.

radioguy41
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18235
Tractors Owned: -
1957 Red IH Lo-Boy
1980 Red IH Cub Cadet 782
1993 Craftsman LT4000

Postby radioguy41 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:07 am

Take the carb off and set the float. Those carbs usually work well but they all need to have the float set correctly as they are not set correctly from the factory. That's the first thing I did with mine.
Circle of Safety Image ImageImage
KB3WBB

Jose Wales
Ford 8n
Kobota

Postby Jose Wales » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:12 am

The former owner adjusted the carb several times and then took it to a repair shop and had it rebuilt and it still floods so I thought I would replace it. What carb would you recommend for a replacement?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:16 am

I would recommend you adjust the float, as advised, before you spend the money to replace it.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jose Wales
Ford 8n
Kobota

Postby Jose Wales » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:08 am

Thanks Don, I will take your advice, I had it running this morning and it just runs great, did have trouble starting it at first. I think alot of it is you just need to take time to understand the tractor and what it wants ????

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:55 pm

Everyone mentions the float which is good as l've suffered that problem as well. If you're taking it apart check the needle valve. After all that's what the float operates. Maybe think about changing it out before scrapping the whole carb.

By the way, welcome to the forum. As you can see, lot's of advice here for your problems.

If you're dead set on a new or rebuilt carb, put a WTB in the vine. There are members that rebuild and sell carbs.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:17 pm

Welcome to the Forum! Congrats on the new-to-you Cub.

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

Don't know if you have any of the manuals to your Cub, but now that you’ve logged your 2nd post, you'll have access to the all the PDF Manuals on this site. There’s a few ways to do that:
  • From a desktop or laptop, go to "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals".
  • You can also go to “Cub Info” in the upper toolbar, then hit “Rudi’s Manuals”. From there, you can access a variety of information.
  • If you're using a phone, go to the "Links Directory" (second category down the main page). Once in "Links Directory" , scroll down to the second section "Tractor Parts & Manuals" and you'll find them there.

You'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. Implement Manuals are also available.

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

Might also enjoy reading through this thread, you may have overlooked some maintenance items on your new Cub: What to do with a Cub you just brought home

There are a lot of good threads dealing with Cub repair (especially fuel-related) and maintenance in the How To Forum. Located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

Take some pictures of your tractors and post them, we’d like to see them.

Remember:
• When you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.
• Before posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like, including pictures.
• When adding your comments to a thread, be sure to look at the date of the last poster. If it’s more than a 6 months old, the posters are probably not going to see it. Consider starting a new thread.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:25 pm

You say when you turn it off it floods. The above advise is good but in the meantime shut off the gas valve at the sediment bowl when you turn it off until you get it adjusted properly.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:15 pm

Hi,
People have said on here that their carburetor didn't work right until they set the float level exactly.

Here is info for setting the float level and float drop for the IH carb.
Below is a page from the Cub service manual showing setting the float height.
The IH carburetor is in the upper pics on the page, the Zenith carb in the lower pics.
You have to take the carb apart to set the float height, and float drop.
When taking it apart, pull the 2 halves of the carb straight apart several inches, there is a small idle tube that screws into the top half of the carb, it can break if you twist it, or don't pull the 2 halves straight apart.
I guess your carb is nearly new, but all the passages need to be open and clean.
Blow them out with compressed air, and be sure they are open. Use your safety goggles when using the air.
The needle and seat could have dirt in it, making it not seal. Remove the float and the needle and check for dirt, clean the needle and seat.
Assemble the needle and float again.
To set the float level, turn the top half of the carb upside down, like the pic of the Zenith carb, in the lower right of the page.
The gasket between the halves has to be off, when measuring the float level of the IH carb.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 002-09.jpg

Bob McCarty converted the measurements to use a dial caliper, it is easier.
The float level is 1.4"
The float drop is 1.6"

The stop on the float arm has to face up.
Sometimes the float is upside down.
Put it in the right way, if it is upside down.
Bend the float arm between the float and where the needle touches it, to change the float height.

Turn the top half right side up to set the float drop.
Bend the stop in or out to change the float drop.

The needle and seat could be defective, and don't seal, then the carb can drip on the ground when the Cub is sitting.
If it doesn't work right after setting the float height and drop, the needle and seat might need replacing, if it floods, or drips.
The IH carb has a small screen where the gas line attaches to the carb, be sure it is clean.
Tighten everything on the carb gently, the IH carb is soft metal, and threads can strip.
The carb top can warp if the screws are tightened too much.
TM Tractor, at the bottom of the page, has new carb parts.

Cubs have a manual choke, you have to use the right amount of choke when the engine is cold, until it warms up, so it runs good.

Below is a pic of an IH carb float from TM Tractor. :)
Attachments
Cub float.jpg
Cub float.jpg (13.96 KiB) Viewed 629 times
Last edited by Glen on Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jose Wales
Ford 8n
Kobota

Postby Jose Wales » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:52 pm

Thanks for all the help, you are a great bunch of guys. I will do my homework on your suggestions and post the results. It started a while ago after draining the bowl and letting it set for a while. I do shut off the fuel line when not running but it sure runs great when running. Can a short video be posted of it running? If so I made one to post.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:56 pm

Go ahead and post the video. Perfectly acceptable.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:34 pm

Hi,
The Cub operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1959 Cub and LoBoy operator's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 2.
The index begins on page 46.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 36.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that a 1959 Cub originally had.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.

The Hy-Tran fluid mentioned in the manual is Case IH Hy-Tran fluid nowadays. It is sold at Case IH dealers.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The 1955 Cub operator's manual below has more info in it than the 1959 manual above.
You can read it if you don't find what you need in the 1959 manual. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:56 am

In addition to the help already offered, if you’re a visual learner (like me) and need to see pictures, then go back up to my post and click on the link to the How To Forum. Go to the Fuel section and start going through Luke’s Carl’s posts at the top of the page.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Jose Wales
Ford 8n
Kobota

Postby Jose Wales » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:04 pm

Thanks for the help. I checked the gas tank and it is really rusted. I think the first thing I will do is clean and coat the tank,clean the bowl and new inline filter before trying to adjust the carb. Then follow the What to do when bringing a new cub home, that is a great thread.

Return to “Farmall Cub”