This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Anyone ever killed their cub?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: B4V6X7

Anyone ever killed their cub?

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:23 pm

So no I haven't damaged any of my cubs, I am just curious if anyone here has blown an engine or wrecked a transmission or had any other catastrophic failures? Intentionally killing one that's beyond repair dosen't count. I am just curious how tough these things are? How far have people pushed them and if they killed them what did it? I have no intention of overloading or running my cub too hard but I am sure some have before. I have strange curiosities I guess, these things seem tough as nails honestly.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Anyone ever killed their cub?

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:33 pm

The two most common failures due to owner neglect or abuse are probably:
- Plain water or inadequate antifreeze allowed to freeze damaging the front bolster, cylinder head or engine block.
- Chaining to the front axle to tow it and breaking the engine block and/or front bolster.

Next on the list would probably be letting it roll downhill with no driver. Most other failures are probably due to bad luck or things that just wear out.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:25 pm

I had an engine throw a connecting rod out the side of the block. With a 2-3" hole in the side of the block, the only option was engine replacement.

The only warning I had was a squeaking that started while mowing with a Woods 42 mower. Though I regularly grease the mower zerk fitting, I suspected the mower was the source of the noise. The engine was still producing the same amount of power. I decided to head back to the "barn", but before I got more than about 100', the engine went "bang" and stopped. :shock: It wasn't until I was tearing the engine down, removing the distributor, that I actually saw the hole near the lower water inlet. That is what convinced me that a rebuild was out of question!! :?
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:41 pm

Jim Becker wrote:The two most common failures due to owner neglect or abuse are probably:
- Plain water or inadequate antifreeze allowed to freeze damaging the front bolster, cylinder head or engine block.
- Chaining to the front axle to tow it and breaking the engine block and/or front bolster.

Next on the list would probably be letting it roll downhill with no driver. Most other failures are probably due to bad luck or things that just wear out.

Omg I have seen videos of people chaining these in the wrong spot and ripping them in half.....bad times. I tow started one that way before so thanks for the info! Most tractors you can tow from the front so I can see why this could happen. Also yes, not doing regular maintenance is an easy way to kill any engine.

Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:42 pm

Dale Finch wrote:I had an engine throw a connecting rod out the side of the block. With a 2-3" hole in the side of the block, the only option was engine replacement.

The only warning I had was a squeaking that started while mowing with a Woods 42 mower. Though I regularly grease the mower zerk fitting, I suspected the mower was the source of the noise. The engine was still producing the same amount of power. I decided to head back to the "barn", but before I got more than about 100', the engine went "bang" and stopped. :shock: It wasn't until I was tearing the engine down, removing the distributor, that I actually saw the hole near the lower water inlet. That is what convinced me that a rebuild was out of question!! :?

Wait what caused it? Like did it just wear out or what?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:37 pm

I have a 48 cub that the owner fell apart on if that counts.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

clintmo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 26033
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:15 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Next on the list would probably be letting it roll downhill with no driver.

I'm feeling a little targeted there, Jim. :wink:

Clint

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:17 pm

Shadow_storm56 wrote:Wait what caused it? Like did it just wear out or what?

Not sure...the rod was bent and after knocking the hole in the block jammed into the cam shaft (which is what stopped the engine darn fast!). It looked like a nut may have come off and allowed the rod cap on, I think, #2 cylinder to partially fall off.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:27 pm

clintmo wrote:
Jim Becker wrote:Next on the list would probably be letting it roll downhill with no driver.

Clint

That means he likes you. :D
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:11 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I have a 48 cub that the owner fell apart on if that counts.

Lack of maintenance or just worn out?

clintmo wrote:

Clint

I'm not naming names. Over the years, we've had multiple examples. I probably should have grouped in all the tractors that didn't stay on their wheels. I've come close myself.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:51 am

The PO of mine was mowing next to a pond. He was backing toward it, coasting downhill, with the clutch disengaged. He started rolling too fast and the brakes didn't work too well, so he dumped the clutch at the last second and broke the crankshaft.
Jim

Circle of Safety

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:35 am

I got stuck - really wedged - in a draniage ditch that I though I could open up with the grader blade.

Crack the trans and right rear final housing both at the flange getting it out. Had the loader cub and other cub and a winch to get it out.

Did not notice the cracks for a few weeks.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:17 pm

Dale Finch wrote:I had an engine throw a connecting rod out the side of the block. With a 2-3" hole in the side of the block, the only option was engine replacement.

You know it's funny.... I wonder if anyone ever put like a 20hp kubota diesel or somthing like that in one of these that had a dead engine. Like I know theres lots of hot rod engine swaps but what have people done for actually useful engine swaps Haha.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:33 pm

Shadow_storm56 wrote:You know it's funny.... I wonder if anyone ever put like a 20hp kubota diesel or somthing like that in one of these that had a dead engine. Like I know theres lots of hot rod engine swaps but what have people done for actually useful engine swaps Haha.

This is about what you can expect from a dead Cub.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:31 am

I saw one in a repair shop one time that the owner had been using for mowing (belly mower) and drove down in a ditch and struck the front end on a stump. It broke the entire front of the block away from the rest of the engine.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Farmall Cub”