This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

touch control getting hot and whining

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bobburke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07419

touch control getting hot and whining

Postby bobburke » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:21 pm

My 74 cub touch control block is making a whining noise that stops when the levers is moved. Also the lines and block get hot very quickly. I searched the issue and comments were made about a clogged filter orifice. I pulled the tank and dashboard to look for a screwdriver plug but mine has all hex head bolts and a 1/4" square plug. I know I should just rebuild tc block but what to get it working to see what else needs repair and tackle it this winter.
I rebuilt hydro pump and bled the system already

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cubbrian
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47631
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub w/9 different 1 point implements
1948 Cub
1948 McCormick W-6
1949 H
1949 M
1961 560 w/ 412 fast hitch plow
1966 140
1973 666
Allis Chalmers C w/sickle mower
Case 400
Economy 14 hp tractor

Re: touch control getting hot and whining

Postby cubbrian » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:34 pm

Access to the orifice is behind the "head" of the touch control. I believe it is a slotted fitting about 1/8" in diameter.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dale Finch » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:09 pm

The screen is behind a plug on the rear of the block. You do not have to remove the head to access it.
Depending on which TC block you have (by block part #), these rebuild HOW TO's should help you identify it.
New style:
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=42857
Old style:
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=89514

You didn't change any of the limits where the touch control rod attaches, did you?
And did you make sure the block is full, and with the fill plug out, you have run the TC lever back and forth multiple times to bleed the system?
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

bobburke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bobburke » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:39 pm

Funny you should mention the rod. The rod when I bought it was all bent and looked to be welded . It would only allow the lever to move half swing and hit the bell housing . I replaced it with a spare I had and seems to run the whole length of travel but still whines like it did before. Didn't seem like there were any sort of limits and the noise is the same at any point I stop the lever. I will look at the links and just order rebuild kit

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:30 pm

Hi,
You have to remove a plug on the Touch Control head to get to the orifice, the orifice is behind the plug.
The plug might have an allen or square head.
Below is a pic from TM Tractor showing the plug, it is less than half way up the head, and on the left some.
The 2nd pic shows where the orifice is, the head is off the Touch Control in that pic.
Use a screwdriver that fits the slot in the orifice well, grind a screwdriver to fit, if needed.

A 1974 Cub would have originally had the newer part number Touch Control, 360719R1.
The block part number may be inside the front of the block, near the piston.
Many years of Touch Controls had the number on the left side, but IH changed the number location in the later years of Cubs.
The 3rd pic shows it, you can see part of the number in the pic. Use a light to find the number, if you need it.

The strainer might be dirty, if the unit is getting too hot, slowing the fluid flow, just a guess.
You can see the end of the strainer in the 2nd pic, it is in the lower right hole.
You have to remove the head to pull the strainer out.
It can be cleaned by removing the bottom cover from the unit, but not replaced from the bottom.

Below is a listing at TM Tractor for a new strainer, you can look at the pic to see what it is.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/918fp.htm

Sometimes the screen breaks on the strainer from being old, then there is little or no filtering.
The strainer in yours might be good, and just need cleaning.
But, if you rebuild the unit, it would be good to put in a new strainer.

The Cub operator's manual says fill the unit the last time with the arms in the rear or down position, after removing the air from the system.
The fluid rises in the system as the arms go to the rear position, so it will be overfilled if you fill it with the arms ahead.

Below is TM Tractor's page of Touch Control parts.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/hy_001newparts.htm
Attachments
Cub T C.jpg
Cub T C 3.jpg
Cub touch control.JPG
Last edited by Glen on Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bobburke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bobburke » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:47 pm

Thanks Mine was a 1/4" square plug. I was able to get the small strainer out but was fairly clean. I cleaned it and replaced it but the noises and vibration remain. So will wait until I get rebuild kit. All that heat seems bad to me, after 10 minutes you can't put your hand on it.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:00 pm

Hi,
It is common for Touch Controls to make whining sounds.
I don't know how long you have had the Cub, or if the Touch Control is doing anything different than in the past.
If it is hot weather where you are, 90 degrees or more, the Touch Control is going to get hot eventually during use.

There may be nothing wrong with it, if it works normally.
But, I don't know without being there to see it. :)
Last edited by Glen on Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:08 pm

The important question is whether the pressure is unloading when it is idle. With nothing attached to the system, you should notice a relatively large load on it when it is moving down (back) that is not there when it is moving up. When it is idle, it should not sound like it is loaded, but should sound similar to the way it sounds when going up. If it acts loaded when idle, the pressure valve is not unloading. Maybe it is stuck. (The orifice/screen you cleaned earlier is part of what controls the pressure relief valve.)

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:14 am

I am usually whinny when I am hot.

I have a 74 that is hot. I can feel it through my boot if my foot is forward on the platform. I also have a 74 that I got late last year that I did not work on yet that the PO said it would stall if the TC was used and suspected something in the TC causing a problem. Was there something with 1974 TC units? I quote frankly have never had to go into a TC. They have just been reliable from my experience.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

bobburke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bobburke » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:31 pm

It will heat up faster than the engine without moving the lever..when I bought it all the hytran was in the crankcase so it was quiet but didn't move. Rebuit pump to stop the leak and noticed the noise in the tc block. I think the filters are clogged and any small ports. Its bled correctly, filled to where it just comes up to the fill and fluid seems bubble free. Might have been empty and sitting to cause rust or dirt to clog it up. will see what rebuild and cleaning does. Thanks

Shadow_storm56
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: B4V6X7

Postby Shadow_storm56 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:02 pm

Mine runs at around 60c and stays there, I wonder if you are overloading it? I know mine makes a whine when it reaches max pressure and still wants to push further. Considering the small resivoir I would not be surprised if this made it get hot fast. I never had it ger as hot as some others here said so they must tolerate lots of heat

bobburke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bobburke » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:03 pm

So today I tore into my touch control block. Turns out one of the relief valve cylinders was put in backwards by a former owner. The offending part was about the size of a .22 shell and caused all the trouble. Now the tractor is quiet and runs so much better.
So the moral of the story is not to put everything back together as it came out but to follow the repair manual to the letter.

Return to “Farmall Cub”