This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Today’s edition of “Clint Does Something Stupid.”

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Today’s edition of “Clint Does Something Stupid.”

Postby Stanton » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:43 pm

What a “wake-up” call. Glad to hear you were not hurt, nor your Cub.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:07 pm

Clint,

As long as it's a lesson learned, you came out on top! Your pride will heal with time, but the lesson will hopefully stay with you.

I easily "one upped you".... One night I was loading my '51 Cub on the smaller 6'X10' trailer I used to have. I drove it on the trailer then decided to back the trailer up to take advantage of the garage lights to safely strap it down. Would have been a better plan if I would have set the brake, or even just left it in gear :shock: Yep, that became real evident as I was slowly backing the rig up and the Cub started to roll on the trailer. It's a bad feeling and there didn't seem to be a good solution, and it seemed like I had forever to think about it. I stopped as slow as I could and it bounced off the trailer, stopping at the fence at the end of my driveway (my "tree"). I had just put up the fence earlier that year, it's a steep 10' drop into the back yard. I did luck out, like you did, no one got hurt and no damages to the Cub.

I like to think I learned a life lesson, but the older I get, I wonder how many of my lessons I will retain!

Glad it worked out for you,
David

clintmo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 26033
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:01 pm

dgrapes59 wrote:It's a bad feeling and there didn't seem to be a good solution, and it seemed like I had forever to think about it.

I kept thinking today about how it seems like I thought a thousand thoughts from the instant I heard it rolling away behind me to when it stopped. Time seems to bend in these situations.

For the record: I was mowing when my girls came out to say goodnight. The Lo Boy seems to need a coil (hard to start after hot), so I didn't want to shut it off, and the brake doesn't want to hold (as seems to be the case with all my Cubs). So I got it leveled out, lowered the deck, put it in neutral and jumped off to do the bedtime spiel with the kids. That's when I heard it coasting down through the yard. I guess the vibration of the engine was enough to turn the front wheels downhill enough for it to take off. I think the worst part was how upset the girls were for me, knowing that I hadn't had the Lo Boy for long and that I liked it. Glad to know they have empathy, but hated having them so distraught. They didn't seem to believe me when I told them I thought it was fine. They got to watch the rescue and were very pleased.

So yeah, all's well that ends well. I am a lucky boy.

Clint

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:59 pm

One of these days you need to bring the family to the Bash.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:46 am

Phew, You got a lucky break. But nobody or nothing was hurt and all's well that ends well. :hattip:

halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06482

Postby halftonstude » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:46 am

I don't know Clint... but i want to meet him now. i love the title of this thread!
c
And... obviously it's good Clint didn't get hurt. these little machines aren't light and could probably put a hurt on someone really quickly.

KenBTexas
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 76661
eBay ID: kenbtexas
Tractors Owned: farmall 300.. and 2 CUBs !!

Postby KenBTexas » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:19 pm

halftonstude wrote:I don't know Clint... but i want to meet him now. i love the title of this thread!
c
And... obviously it's good Clint didn't get hurt. these little machines aren't light and could probably put a hurt on someone really quickly.

NOT light is an understatement. They can kill you. (how much does a cub weigh?? 1500 lbs-2800 lbs)

Long story short I rolled and H in the ditch. I managed to jump off but she still rolled (upside down) up on my ribs.
Drove myself to the emergency room.
First thing the Dr. asked was "how big was this tractor"
When I told him it was a 25 hp tractor he looked at my like I was crazy/wimpy getting run over by something the size of a lawn mower.
He had no idea...
Only 6 broke rips.
I was lucky.. the muffler was drove 12 inches into the ground.

KenBTexas
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 76661
eBay ID: kenbtexas
Tractors Owned: farmall 300.. and 2 CUBs !!

Postby KenBTexas » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:31 pm

same topic different subject.
caught myself a few days ago turning the cub key standing on the ground.
She was in gear, rolled forward a little, scared me as it should have. (happy she did not light off).
I know better that that.
As we get older and a few of us acquire that dunlap problem, it can be uncomfortable sitting in the cub seat, and bending over to reach the key.
I was thinking about this I realize I have gotten into a bad habit of doing this same thing with my MF.
The MF has safetys and will not start if 3 things are not in neutral..
The hi/lo, the shifter and the PTO lever.
My excuse is that the PTO switch leads are loose and occasionally fall off (can not be reached from the seat).

Easy fix .. but I am lazzy (and sometime think of that as an anti theft device).

I think I will go fix that NOW ... before it is to late.

clintmo
10+ Years
10+ Years
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:36 pm

I got some time to get the Lo Boy started and drive it back to the building for a once over. I hadn’t noticed until I got on it that the steering post was bent to the left. I ratchet strapped it to a utility pole and got it straightened up but went a little too far the other way. Question: How does the wheel line up with the seat on a Lo Boy? Is it like a standard Cub with the wheel slightly to the left of the seat?

Clint

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:39 pm

Try outs for an episode on SharkFarmer TV, RFD TV channel?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:03 pm

The steering wheel is in the same place whether it is a standard Cub or a Lo-Boy. However, the Lo-Boy seat is in a different position (more to the left). You might try unbolting the steering shaft support bearing from the steering post. Get the steering wheel positioned so the shaft is straight, then bend the post until it meets the shaft.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:18 pm

Yikes Clint!

If it helps , my last stupid was the wrong sized hitchball when driving a tractor onto the trailer last week....
I'd pulled up on the coupler after latching it to test it out of habit ,(it's a newer trailer with a strange coupler lever that's recessed in front. Gotta latch it just right at the right time). Should have caught it though. Tongue is too heavy , or I'm too weak to have popped it off when I pulled up on it.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:27 pm

Hi,
You can sit in the seat, and sight down the steering shaft and see if it is straight the full length of it.
It may not align with the seat, but the shaft should be straight. :)

clintmo
10+ Years
10+ Years
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:39 pm

Jim Becker wrote:The steering wheel is in the same place whether it is a standard Cub or a Lo-Boy. However, the Lo-Boy seat is in a different position (more to the left). You might try unbolting the steering shaft support bearing from the steering post. Get the steering wheel positioned so the shaft is straight, then bend the post until it meets the shaft.

Ok. I just got it to where the post looked straight and the steering shaft wasn't curving to the left. But the wheel is right of center of the seat now. I haven't had this thing long enough to recall where it should be, but I think it's further right than it was.

Clint

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:08 am

Clint, the vertical portion of the steering shaft support should be dead vertical. Eye balling it, you'll know when it's right.

Return to “Farmall Cub”