oil leaking out of clutch housing handhole cover

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LittleJohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17815
Tractors Owned: 1962 Cub

oil leaking out of clutch housing handhole cover

Postby LittleJohn » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:44 pm

Took my cub out . tried out the shifter rod for the belt pully (with no belt connected yet) oil came streaming out the clutch housing HANDHOLE COVER. THE wingnut was not very tight. I tightened nut . Not sure what caused the problem. Where is the oil coming from ? How to I refill it ? Could there be another problem ?
Cub Leak.jpg

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: oil leaking out of clutch housing handhole cover

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:04 pm

You either have engine oil leaking from the rear engine seal, or transmission (gear) oil leaking from the front seal of the transmission. Depending on the slope of the ground the Cub is parked on, it could be coming from either end. If you can differentiate between the two oils, that will narrow it down. Also check the dipstick to see if the engine oil is low. I'd remove the hand hole cover and see how much oil drains out.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:05 pm

Is it motor oil or gear oil :?: If it's motor oil, it's likely coming from the rear engine oil seal. If it's gear oil, it's coming from the transmission input shaft seal. Did or does the oil leak only when the PTO lever is engaged :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:08 pm

If it's motor oil, most likely the rear seal is shot. Contact Tim (tst) and he will set you up with a reasonably priced replacement. He usually has an Ad in The Vine, but they time out after a period of time.
Farmall Cub Cut Away View.JPG
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

LittleJohn
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby LittleJohn » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:03 pm

Thanks, Guys. It was Tranny Fluid . I filled fluid until it was clear. It was milky white. Now it sound ok. tighten wingnut. Checked belt drive. works ok. I think IM ok. Let you know if I have anymore problems once I install the belly mower.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:16 pm

The cover plate underneath will not keep the oil in. If you are leaking trans fluid you will need to split the Cub and replace the front trans seal.

If the oil was milky did you drain the trans and flush it? You would then only add 3 1/2 pints of gear oil. Anymore than that and it will leak from the rear axle seals.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:57 pm

Hi,
There should be no oil where the hand hole cover is.
The cover is not there to keep oil in the housing, just to keep dirt out of the housing.
The whole clutch housing is an area between the engine and transmission.

The trans front oil seal is back near the shifter, at the front of the trans.
The Cub has to be split to get to it to replace it.
The clutch housing has to be removed from the trans to get to it.

Below are listings from TM Tractor for the seal, and gasket.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/tr/431fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/tr/673fp.htm

Below are pics of where it is.
You can see the trans oil level plug in the pic, it is low on the left side of the trans.
That is the level to fill it to. :)
Attachments
Cub trans seal 2.jpg
Cub trans seal 2.jpg (24.59 KiB) Viewed 437 times

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:00 pm

Hi,
The wing nut on the clutch housing hand hole cover should be tight enough so the cover is snug, but don't over tighten it, you can bend the bar that the bolt in attached to.
Below is a page from the 1965 Cub operator's manual, showing the clutch, and the cover in place.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-52.jpg

Below is a listing for a new cover at TM Tractor, showing the bar that goes inside the clutch housing, it is not heavy metal, and can bend if tightened too much. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/cl/475fp.htm

LittleJohn
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby LittleJohn » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:21 pm

Emptied fluid from transmission drain plug. Filled with kerosene until it came out the oil lvl plug. Question: How long do I keep it in before draining and refilling AND do I put it in gear and/or operate the PTO?

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Glen » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:04 pm

Hi,
Good that you are changing the transmission oil.

They say on here after putting in the kerosene in the transmission, to drive the Cub for 5 minutes or so, this throws the kerosene around in the housing.
I would run it in 3rd gear some, the speed of 3rd gear throws it more than slow speeds.
You don't need to run the PTO, it wouldn't do anything needed for cleaning the housing.

Then drain the kerosene out, and see how it looks.
If it is really dirty, you could put in new kerosene and drive it another 5 minutes.

Put in the 90 wt., or 80W-90 wt. gear oil after all the kerosene is drained out. :)