56 Lo-Boy questions: deluxe seat and fuel shut off.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
790rivers
Zip Code: 12764
eBay ID: Jsimon1
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub fast hitch, Woods RM59 Fast Hitch, Mott 48" flail fast hitch, 153 Disc plow

56 Lo-Boy questions: deluxe seat and fuel shut off.

Postby 790rivers » Mon May 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Hi All,
I've been working on a 1956 International Lo-Boy this Spring and it is going well. I updated the harness, changed all the fluids, lubed all the zerks, and checked the brakes and they are solid, despite some noise on the right side that I posted about before. It has a Woods 59CL and thanks to the lessons here, I got the blades off with pipe extensions and sharpened with a grinder and it is now mowing very well. Compression is good, 110-120 on all cylinders, but with the low-traction turf tires and my very soft, wet and hilly, uneven fields, most of the mowing happens in 1st gear and power feels low. But so far so good.
Two items have me stumped that I'm hoping to get help with:
1. The original fuel shut off on the sediment bowl is so stiff that I cannot open, adjust or close it without pliers. Is there a trick to loosening it up without causing leaks?
2. I have the old deluxe seat, and a local upholsterer is doing the bottom with red marine vinyl on new wood. But he won't deal with the back unless I let him drill new holes and add wood to it. I wanted to use the original rivet pattern only. Has anyone had any luck riveting on a new cushion to an old seat back, using the original holes? My hand pop riveter could never get the same result as an industrial blind rivet machine. With thanks as always, Photos below.
seat 2.jpg
seat 1.jpg

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 56 Lo-Boy questions: deluxe seat and fuel shut off.

Postby Dale Finch » Mon May 11, 2020 8:50 pm

The sediment bowl shutoff valve was probably leaking around the stem, so someone tightened down the packing nut. If too tight, you get the problem you have...you can't turn the valve. You can try backing the nut off a bit until it turns more easily, but it might start leaking. If it does, you can repack the valve stem... There are some posts for fixing a leaking sediment bowl.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety