This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear axle Shims & Rear axle clearances

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Nolan
Zip Code: 49460
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Rear axle Shims & Rear axle clearances

Postby Nolan » Sat May 09, 2020 9:14 am

Good Morning, over the past week or so I took apart both of the final drives on my 1948 farmall cub. one of them is a replacement as my grandpa cracked it along time ago. I did all new seals gaskets and bearings. I put the old one back together and it seems great no slop at all and everything spins great (It had 3 shims). When I took apart the other one it only had one shim, at the time I thought okay well that is all it needed to be tight and didn't think anything of it. well I put it back together last night and it has some wobble in it. if you have it sitting with the spot it mounts to the trans down you can wobble the bull gear up and down ( around .033 ) well that is at the edge of the gear so it isn't in reality moving that much, probably around half of that so around .015.

I guess my question is what are the tolerances suppose to be? do you want it tight? or a little wiggle i am assuming that it is not suppose to wobble that much?
Is the new housing is two new? we got just the housing ( my dad did this like 10 years ago and i did not even help him do it, but he said he had to take the guts from the old one and put it in the new one) and it does not have ribs on it like the one from the tractor. the parts book i have list four different shims that are possible. Where can you get them. i was going to bring the one i have to a buddy and he works in a machine shop and he probably can find something that will work.
Thanks in advance!!
Nolan
Attachments
IMG_20200508_224350.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Farmall Cub”