This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Back on the Lo-Boy Again

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ruralguy57
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 43506
Tractors Owned: International Harvester International Cub Lo Boy & C3 Rotary Mower
Case 60 XT Skid Steer

Back on the Lo-Boy Again

Postby Ruralguy57 » Tue May 05, 2020 6:30 pm

I have had the `68 IH Low-Boy out about 5 times this year. I mowed for the first time 2 days ago. Sunday I got into the lot in front of the house that I have posted in my other link. I have to agree with everyone who posted about the "C3" mower can't handle long grass. The grass in that lot was about calf level and I had to go over it several times. However for the first time mowing the Lo-Boy managed well. A month ago I was trying to roll a wet area of the property and almost got the tractor stuck. I will say one thing dealing with the Lo-Boy vs/ a mid size John Deer lawn tractor. The Lo-Boy will out work the John Deer hands down.

I have noticed the carb has seemed to become a bit touchy. I am not sure if there is any reason for it or that it sat over the winter season. When I started this year, I just put the cable back on the battery and added gas and cranked it a few times and it rolled over very easy. I did notice the pull choke if I recall last year would be pushed in all the way to run smoothly. Now it seems the choke pull has to be backed off a bit. If it is all the way in, the tractor runs uneven. I am not sure if it was because it was cool and not hot. We are barely over 50 here today and was in the mid 60's when I mowed.

I have pulled a lot of wood around the property with the tractor and have rolled the ground. All seems to work well. I have noticed a bit of drainage around the touch control pump nut and the normal leak out of the steering box.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Back on the Lo-Boy Again

Postby Dale Finch » Tue May 05, 2020 7:13 pm

Someone more knowledgeable will be along about the choke, but it is my understanding that you may have a slight blockage in the fuel system.

Not sure how you know you have a "drainage around the touch control pump". Are you losing fluid from the TC block leaking past the pump shaft seal into the engine oil pan? If you are using HyTran (or similar), be careful to not run the engine with an empty TC reservoir, as the pump is lubricated by this fluid, and is always turning when the engine is running. Also, it will dilute the engine oil, to some extent. It is a fairly easy fix. See the HOW TO section.

As for the steering gear housing leak, if it is around the steering shaft, make sure the fill plug, which is also a vent, is clear. You need to remove it and poke a wire up from the bottom, and then in from one of the flats. There is a "tunnel" that makes a 90 degree turn that vents the housing as the heat causes expansion. If it is plugged, about the only relief it can find is either the seal at the base of the steering shaft, or the worm gear shaft seal on the bottom.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Tue May 05, 2020 7:19 pm

Ruralguy57 wrote:
I have noticed the carb has seemed to become a bit touchy. I am not sure if there is any reason for it or that it sat over the winter season. When I started this year, I just put the cable back on the battery and added gas and cranked it a few times and it rolled over very easy. I did notice the pull choke if I recall last year would be pushed in all the way to run smoothly. Now it seems the choke pull has to be backed off a bit. If it is all the way in, the tractor runs uneven. I am not sure if it was because it was cool and not hot. We are barely over 50 here today and was in the mid 60's when I mowed.

If it runs better with a little choke, it sounds like you have just a wee bit of rust or other debris causing a slight fuel restriction.
I’d bet if you cleaned out the fuel line, sediment bowl and any filters and screens and of course the carb itself, you probably wouldn’t come across anything obvious to make you say “ah ha!”, but I bet it would run better.

Ruralguy57
Cub Star
Cub Star
Tractors Owned: International Harvester International Cub Lo Boy & C3 Rotary Mower
Case 60 XT Skid Steer

Postby Ruralguy57 » Tue May 05, 2020 7:31 pm

Just went back out ...and checked the TC...

It has a large bolt at the top of the left side of the unit. Just below the bolt is a series of 3 letters and then below that a series of numbers. From that bolt, there is a small trail of probably fluid that percolated out for some reason. I do not know if there is a seal under that bolt or not. I just happened to see it after using the tractor a lot on Sunday and up and down the hills and then mowing heavy grass. I had the mower raised up and down and mowed one direction then cross hatched it 90 degrees. The TC unit got used more than it normally does.

Ruralguy57
Cub Star
Cub Star
Case 60 XT Skid Steer

Postby Ruralguy57 » Tue May 05, 2020 7:38 pm

I know about the weep hole on the steering gear nut. However, I did not check it to see if it was plugged. Last year it was not plugged. I had recut a seal and when I opened the steering gear out last year, I put a new seal between the steering gear box and the plate. I see the dribbles are there under the steering gear as it was last year. I am thinking I had mixed various greases and other fluids when I repacked it last year. I knew the box had some residual diesel fuel in it after I tried to clean it out, pictured in the other link. I am just guessing some of that just leaked again as it did last year because I ran the tractor over a multiple hour period.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Tue May 05, 2020 9:09 pm

Ruralguy57 wrote:Just went back out ...and checked the TC...

It has a large bolt at the top of the left side of the unit. Just below the bolt is a series of 3 letters and then below that a series of numbers. From that bolt, there is a small trail of probably fluid that percolated out for some reason. I do not know if there is a seal under that bolt or not. I just happened to see it after using the tractor a lot on Sunday and up and down the hills and then mowing heavy grass. I had the mower raised up and down and mowed one direction then cross hatched it 90 degrees. The TC unit got used more than it normally does.

There is a copper crush washer (same as the oil drain plug) under that large plug. (Older units had a pipe plug)
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/844fp.htm
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Ruralguy57
Cub Star
Cub Star
Case 60 XT Skid Steer

Postby Ruralguy57 » Tue May 05, 2020 9:42 pm

Yes that is it. I have never really paid any attention to it. As you get into these older loveable toys, you see things you never bothered to check. That is the PLUG...I am sorry I called it a bolt. To me I just looked at it as a bolt. I get it that it should have a washer as if it was a plug on an oil pan. I am guessing if it percolated some oil out, maybe there is no washer. The oil tank that holds the filter element did NOT have the rubber washer on the lid when I changed oil last year. IT could possibly be the same thing here. So should this be totally drained and then refilled? I have never done anything with this unit yet? I have changed oils in the main oil pan, the transmission oil, the oil in the air breather and flushed the radiator. I am not sure how to flush the TC unit? That reminds me I should recheck the air breather oil.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale Finch » Wed May 06, 2020 9:22 am

Don't forget to oil the fan hub...there is a specific procedure for that in the Owner's Manual.

The oil filter housing has that gasket under the cover, as well as a crush washer under the head of the bolt:
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/en/287fp.htm

If you haven't serviced the Touch Control block recently, it certainly wouldn't hurt to drain and refill it. Drain it into a clean container (preferably clear) so you can see just how bad it is.
WARNING: Remove the fill plug BEFORE you remove the drain plug to relieve any built-up pressure, or you might have a geyser shoot out at you! :shock:

Check the manual for refill and bleed procedure.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Ruralguy57
Cub Star
Cub Star
Case 60 XT Skid Steer

Postby Ruralguy57 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:06 am

As for the fan it is sealed. There is no access to oil the fan that I have ever found. Back in the other link I asked about this exact thing, since I was told to change the oil in the fan hub. However, I found out later tractors came with a sealed fan unit or so I was told. I do know that I had to un wrench the thing to get one of the belts on, the one to the alternator. That was when I had to grind a wrench head down to get it into the slot because it was very narrow.

As for the Oil filter housing: I put the rubber gasket on the lid, and I did not find a gasket under the lid when I changed oil. I am not sure if I ever found a washer under the bolt head.

I understand about opening the large plug, and to check for a washer there. I will have to fiddle around and try and find the place where all the fluid drains out. I have never seen or paid attention to a lower plug.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed May 06, 2020 1:11 pm

Ruralguy57 wrote:. . . I have never seen or paid attention to a lower plug.

The drain plug is a small one on the other side from the filler.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed May 06, 2020 6:25 pm

Hi,
The plug at the upper left of the Touch Control is the filler plug for the system. The system is filled to the level of the plug hole, when the Touch Control arms are in the rear or down position.
The drain plug is on the right side of the unit, it is a small plug with usually a square head.

Below is a post I made about checking and changing the Touch Control fluid.
The page in the 1st operator's manual link in the post shows the parts of the system.
The 3rd page shows the drain plug.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106664

Part of the info is in the 1957 LoBoy operator's manual also. :)

Ruralguy57
Cub Star
Cub Star
Case 60 XT Skid Steer

Postby Ruralguy57 » Fri May 08, 2020 5:21 pm

Thank you for the info. I had to sell a 57 chevy to pay for my father in a home. It was mom and dad's car. She has dementia and is not able to understand any more. I am here 24/7 caregiver. So I will be back in the barn again cleaning up from that. An end of an era. They used to enjoy going to cruise in's etc. Amazing how much these homes rape from the living to pay for your family being there.

Again I thank you for helping. I will have to get the fluid when I change this over too. I want to have all the ducks in a row before I start.