This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Don't let your Cub sit too long!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Don't let your Cub sit too long!

Postby Barnyard » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:42 pm

Went to get one of the Cubs ready to hook up to the manure spreader and found that it had been claimed by somebody else. Oh well...I'm sure there's another around here I can use.

nest.JPG
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Re: Don't let your Cub sit too long!

Postby tinnerjohn » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:52 am

several years ago I started my wife's 8N after it had set all winter. Let it idle while I did something else. I smelled smoke, turned around and saw it was coming from under the hood. There was a nest on the head and manifolds starting to burn! No harm done to tractor and the nest was empty, but it could have been disaster. I've had one on the 8N toolbox twice, but I found them when I was checking the gas and battery. John

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:16 am

Last year, I decided to run my '48 Super A that I was selling, and same as above...after idling for a few minutes, I saw smoke coming from under the hood. I grabbed the fire extinguisher that I had mounted in the tractor shed. However, when I pulled the trigger, nothing happened!

I ran and grabbed another one in my storage shed, and it sputtered a bit, but not very effective. I then grabbed the 3rd one in the cabin, and this one finally worked, spitting that white mess everywhere. At least the fire was put out. But the truth is, it probably went out on its own!! After what ended up being a bird's nest was consumed, there was very little to burn. Fortunately, the tractor was exceptionally clean (since it was for sale) so not much else there...except, of course, for the gas tank!! :shock:

Three lessons were learned here:
1. Always check (more carefully!) for evidence of bird nests, and with the SA that is more difficult with the extended hood and less access visually than a cub.
2. Have more and larger fire extinguishers! The one that finally worked barely put out the fire, which had probably already burned itself out.
3. There had been a MASSIVE recall on certain fire extinguishers...Kidde and First Alert among them. Although ALL my fire extinguishers were in the green zone on the gauges, 2 of the 3 failed to function. Between my farm and home, I returned 5 fire extinguishers.

So check any fire extinguishers you have for being on the recall list...it's free, (goes back to the 70's I think) and they can even be discharged. They send you a new one, then you put your old one in the box and send it back pre-paid by them.

Also, replace them with more and larger extinguishers than you think you need! If this fire had involved oil or gas, or anything more flammable than that small bird's nest, it could have been disastrous! :(
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

RonT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 34448
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub - Whitington
1972 154 Cub Loboy
1989 Kubota L2050
1948 Willy's CJ-2A
1924 Model T Fordor

Postby RonT » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:43 am

20200407_130334 (1024x768).jpg

Same story here - I used my Kubota to mow for the first time and smelled a slight burning smell. Here is what I found. Note - the blue thing in the center is a valve cover bolt - no eggs or shells found.

Ron

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:58 am

Thanks for the reminder. I'm about ready to start up a couple tractors that have been sitting over the winter. I usually find mice nests.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:17 am

Dale Finch wrote:. . . However, when I pulled the trigger, nothing happened!

I ran and grabbed another one in my storage shed, and it sputtered a bit, but not very effective. I then grabbed the 3rd one in the cabin, and this one finally worked, spitting that white mess everywhere. . . .

Somebody, I think a traveling fire extinguisher salesman, described a fire extinguisher maintenance task to me. When you go around periodically to check them, don't just look at the gauge. The dry powder in the extinguisher settles down and gets tighter over time. So periodically invert the extinguisher and shake the powder loose. He suggested smacking the bottom like you would a bottle of catsup. I prefer smacking the extinguisher downward against the palm of my hand like a bottle of catsup. I've found that if I do it close to my ear I can hear it when the powder breaks loose.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:41 am

Every year, I find a bird's nest in the front of my B Farmall between the grille and radiator.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:41 pm

Dale Finch wrote:Last year, I decided to run my '48 Super A that I was selling, and same as above...after idling for a few minutes, I saw smoke coming from under the hood. I grabbed the fire extinguisher that I had mounted in the tractor shed. However, when I pulled the trigger, nothing happened!

I ran and grabbed another one in my storage shed, and it sputtered a bit, but not very effective. I then grabbed the 3rd one in the cabin, and this one finally worked, spitting that white mess everywhere. At least the fire was put out. But the truth is, it probably went out on its own!! After what ended up being a bird's nest was consumed, there was very little to burn. Fortunately, the tractor was exceptionally clean (since it was for sale) so not much else there...except, of course, for the gas tank!! :shock:

Three lessons were learned here:
1. Always check (more carefully!) for evidence of bird nests, and with the SA that is more difficult with the extended hood and less access visually than a cub.
2. Have more and larger fire extinguishers! The one that finally worked barely put out the fire, which had probably already burned itself out.
3. There had been a MASSIVE recall on certain fire extinguishers...Kidde and First Alert among them. Although ALL my fire extinguishers were in the green zone on the gauges, 2 of the 3 failed to function. Between my farm and home, I returned 5 fire extinguishers.

So check any fire extinguishers you have for being on the recall list...it's free, (goes back to the 70's I think) and they can even be discharged. They send you a new one, then you put your old one in the box and send it back pre-paid by them.

Also, replace them with more and larger extinguishers than you think you need! If this fire had involved oil or gas, or anything more flammable than that small bird's nest, it could have been disastrous! :(

I had been keeping a soap bottle with soap and water in the tool box. Yes , it freezes in winter.

My answer to "what do you want for Christmas?" was , fire extinguishers for the Cubs.

Ya , look em over good before firing one up.
Not a tractor , but the neighbors cat had a rough time when I started the truck midwinter one day.
Sounded like a busted belt so I shut it down.
Cat got lucky ,that time...

Nelson 634
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22958
Tractors Owned: 5 Cubs
1952 100
1960 460 Utility

Postby Nelson 634 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:23 am

Jim Becker wrote
Somebody, I think a traveling fire extinguisher salesman, described a fire extinguisher maintenance task to me. When you go around periodically to check them, don't just look at the gauge. The dry powder in the extinguisher settles down and gets tighter over time. So periodically invert the extinguisher and shake the powder loose. He suggested smacking the bottom like you would a bottle of catsup. I prefer smacking the extinguisher downward against the palm of my hand like a bottle of catsup. I've found that if I do it close to my ear I can hear it when the powder breaks loose.

Its called fluffing a fire extinguisher. I use to use a rubber mallet when I did biyearly inspection of the plant's fire extinguishers. Turn them upside down give'm a couple of smacks then shake vigorously. "Smacking the bottom like you would a bottle of catsup" was not an option, over 50 of them to do, my hand would have long since given out. And by the way fire extinguishers have an expiration date. Walter

Robins nest, haven't ever seen one that low before least not in Virginia. Nice picture of spring though. Thanks, Walter
Walter

fordhead1983
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 61061
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
Cub-172 Planter
Cub-101A Fertilizer Unit
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cub-23A disk
1940 Farmall H
1941 Farmall H "Doc"
1956 Farmall 300
IH #37 8' disk with 2 section IH drag harrow
IH #8 Little Genius 2 bottom 16" plow
McCormick 1 row ground drive corn binder
IH #5 end gate seeder
JI Case VTA running gear
Flareline flare box wagon
John Deere CC-147 8' field cultivator
1952 John Deere 290 Planter w/fertilizer and insecticide
John Deere 214 two row rotary hoe
New Holland 110 10' fertilizer drop spreader
Rosenthal Steel #4 Husker Shredder
John Deere #5 sickle mower (originally Grandpa's)
1957 IH #46 twine baler

Postby fordhead1983 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:53 am

Haven't had one on the tractors yet, but recently discovered the reason I get scolded out of the shed by a couple robins. The have made a nest on our hay rake, and there's 2 little eggs in there. Hope they hatch and fly away by first cutting time.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:47 pm

Happens in small engines as well :lol:
Attachments
E7ADEF2E-E0F4-421F-BF35-F0B8AA2EA3A7.jpeg
E7ADEF2E-E0F4-421F-BF35-F0B8AA2EA3A7.jpeg (37.92 KiB) Viewed 264 times
BA3F4758-D17F-43F8-949F-C31E46323902.jpeg
BA3F4758-D17F-43F8-949F-C31E46323902.jpeg (35.02 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:37 pm

We've chased robins out of the barn for years. They always win, though. Latest was a nest starting where not wanted and so I placed a rubber snake there. The robins built a new nest right on top of the "snake." Got rid of that nest ...and here's why they always win--they finally picked a place...a crotch of a brace to a column and built a nest there...Good To Go, Robins

Return to “Farmall Cub”