This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carb Fuel Inlet stripped out.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Nolan
Zip Code: 49460
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Carb Fuel Inlet stripped out.

Postby Nolan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:38 am

The carb fuel inlet on my 1948 farmall cub is stripped as it has been for years. I managed to get it working last year with multiple different things including taps, hoses, steel tubing and glue. I would like to Either get a new Body (part # 351 874 R91) and rebuild the whole carb, or just buy a new carburetor. I know a new carburetor is not cheap so I was hoping to find a body and just rebuild the current carb. but i cant find that part anywhere. My only other fear is that the air filter hose was not attached to the carb in any way shape or form and i know it has sucked in dust and other things at this point is it something that is worth rebuilding? Any suggestions?
Thanks In advance.
Attachments
IMG_20190808_063920_01.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Re: Carb Fuel Inlet stripped out.

Postby tst » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:56 am

the inlet can be helicoiled as long as it has not been drilled out to much by the other repair fittings in it now

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:00 pm

If you want to switch back to an all steel line, you have several options:
1) Have the inlet helicoiled with a 1/2-20 helicoil. Lots of us have an alignment jig in order to drill straight.
2) Lurker Carl did a "how to" on using JB Weld to make new threads that you can find in that subforum
3) If the inlet is stripped so badly that a helicoil won't work, I JB Weld in an Edelmann 168540 brass fitting with a result similar to what you have now.
You could switch to an all steel line out of the compression fitting if you wanted.
4) You probably won't find just a used carb top, but the Chinese repros on eBay for less than $30 are okay if you check the float settings.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Nolan

Postby Nolan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:02 pm

tst wrote:the inlet can be helicoiled as long as it has not been drilled out to much by the other repair fittings in it now

I did see that on the other forms that were around for the same issue. We did attempt to do that before the current "setup" was made it still leaked it is currently glued in with some gas tank epoxy. it works fine right now but i don't think it will hold up for very long.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:05 pm

JB Weld is not gas soluble, so If you're unsure about what you have now, you could switch next time.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Nelson 634
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22958
Tractors Owned: 5 Cubs
1952 100
1960 460 Utility

Postby Nelson 634 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:20 pm

The short piece of "rubber" hose may be causing you problems. I could see that letting the rest of the line towards the gas tank bounce up and down and slowly work your repair efforts to the point it leaks again. Better option would be all rubber or all steel. Quick option push the tubing ends together, touching, inside the hose you have. A lot less vibration or bouncing on your repair. This probably will not solve your problem permanently just slow it down. The final solution will be repair of the threads by one of the methods mentioned previously and replacement of the gas line. My preference is a steel line, having said that I have cubs with rubber lines with a barb and the proper threads to match the original threads of the carburetor and it works fine. I just prefer the steel looks nicer and that's how it was built. I like original as much as I can within reason, which means my pocket book. Good luck. Stay safe everyone. Walter
Walter

Nolan

Postby Nolan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:52 pm

Thank you for all of your helpful hints and ways of fixing this. I believe we did this repair on a holiday weekend were nothing was open that being said it was done with what we had, I will get a new steel gas line as the one that is on it is to short and hopefully get it looking good as new,
Thanks again!!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:19 am

Hi,
Below is a listing at TM Tractor for a new Cub gas line. You can look at the pics of how they were originally routed.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/864fp.htm

I don't know if you have bent small tubing before. It can kink or collapse if bent too sharp in one place.
If it needs bending, find something solid with a curve similar to the curves in the gas line, and with the line off the Cub, gently bend it around the curved object. Work slowly, and try to avoid kinking or collapsing the new line.

I guess you meant you wondered if the cylinders are worn from running the engine with the air cleaner hose disconnected, with dust in the air.
If the engine runs quiet at low speeds, or any speed, there is probably not much cylinder wear.
If it makes clattering sounds, then the pistons could be loose because of cylinder wear.
I heard a Cub engine run in the past that had lots of cylinder wear, it was noisy, it made a clattering sound, I think.
But there can be tapping sounds because of the valve adjustment too.

I noticed in your pic the choke rod could use improving. Rubbing on the Touch Control tubes, the engine vibration can make it can wear into the tubes over time.
Below is a pic of how they originally are. It goes slightly above the tubes.
You will need to change the bends so it fits better. There is one bend visible in my pic. If yours needs to be higher to clear the tubes, increase the bend behind the carburetor.
There is another bend, in from the dash slightly, so the loop end of the rod is level with the ground, and pulls straight out of the dash. :)
Attachments
Cub.jpg

Nolan

Postby Nolan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:28 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
Below is a listing at TM Tractor for a new Cub gas line. You can look at the pics of how they were originally routed.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/864fp.htm

I don't know if you have bent small tubing before. It can kink or collapse if bent too sharp in one place.
If it needs bending, find something solid with a curve similar to the curves in the gas line, and with the line off the Cub, gently bend it around the curved object. Work slowly, and try to avoid kinking or collapsing the new line.

I guess you meant you wondered if the cylinders are worn from running the engine with the air cleaner hose disconnected, with dust in the air.
If the engine runs quiet at low speeds, or any speed, there is probably not much cylinder wear.
If it makes clattering sounds, then the pistons could be loose because of cylinder wear.
I heard a Cub engine run in the past that had lots of cylinder wear, it was noisy, it made a clattering sound, I think.
But there can be tapping sounds because of the valve adjustment too.

I noticed in your pic the choke rod could use improving. Rubbing on the Touch Control tubes, the engine vibration can make it can wear into the tubes over time.
Below is a pic of how they originally are. It goes slightly above the tubes.
You will need to change the bends so it fits better. There is one bend visible in my pic. If yours needs to be higher to clear the tubes, increase the bend behind the carburetor.
There is another bend, in from the dash slightly, so the loop end of the rod is level with the ground, and pulls straight out of the dash. :)

Thank you for letting me know I currently have it apart to restore it I will for sure fix that when I put it back together

Cubfriend
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 68803
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub, Kittie; 1948 Cub, Harold; 1949 Cub, 49er; 1951 Cub, Tucker; 1951 Cub, Homely; 1956 Cub High Crop; 1957 Cub Loboy; 57 Cub Loboy w/fasthitch + 194 plow; 1958 Cub LoBoy w/FH, Popeye; 1961 Cub, Beater; #1-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot Throttle; #2-1962 Cub Loboy Dually (Originally Orange) w/Foot throttle; Yellow 1963 Cub Loboy and blade; 1970 Cub, Cubbie; and 5 other Cubs in various stages of disaasembly and disrepair; 1962 Cub Cadet Original; 2 other Cub Cadet Originals; Cub Cadet 100; Cub Cadet 124 w/Creeper; Cub Cadet 147; 2 Cub Cadet 129's; Cub Cadet 149; 1948 Allis Chalmers C w/single frontwheel; 1944 Farmall H w/Tokhiem Cab; 2 One Point Fasthitch Carriers; 2-#100 Fasthitch Rear Blade; 2 Sets Cub 144 Cultivators; 2 Sets Cub #252 Cultivators; 3 Cub #193 Mouldboard Plows; 1 Cub #193 Slatted Plow; 1 1948 Cub-54 Snow Plow; 3 Cub-54 49-5 Snow Plows; Cub #6 Tool Bar w/Disc Blades & Middlebuster. 2-#105 sickle mowers, #152 disc plow

Postby Cubfriend » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:34 pm

A word of caution. When you do get it fixed don’t seat the ferule in the Carburetor. Use a steel or brass fitting to seat the ferule and then install it in the carburetor so as not to mess up the threads right away.
Frank

Return to “Farmall Cub”