This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub steering

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Whitecub50
Zip Code: 46360

Cub steering

Postby Whitecub50 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:12 pm

Hey guys, is there anything I can do to take some of the slop out of my steering without replacing anything? Not sure if there is any adjustments? I’ve looked In my shop manual and all it says as far as I can tell is if things ain’t right replace?? That’s great but like I was wandering before I spend a fortune in steering parts and intense labor can I adjust steering?? Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub steering

Postby tst » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:50 pm

the steering arm is adjustable, loosen pinch bolt, remove cotter pin from the large nut and tighten the nut to reduce the play in the steering column, also the tie rods and ends are adjustable if needed

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub steering

Postby Crimson Tim » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:33 pm

Also, early cubs had set screws at the top of the spindles that often come loose or break, and the number and thickness of shims where the steering arm holds the ball end of the tie rods can be adjusted.
Jack up the front end to get the wheels off the ground, and turn the wheels back and forth manually while standing in front of the tractor. It will become clear which of these locations need attention.

Return to “Farmall Cub”