This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub hydraulic help

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Blue6004
Zip Code: 34491

Cub hydraulic help

Postby Blue6004 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:40 pm

I need a little help. I have a 1948 cub that I parked about 3 years ago. When I parked it the hydraulics (touch control) worked but it drained fluid into the oil pan. Since I’m staying home lately I decided to get it going again. I knew the hyd pump was draining into the oil pan so I ordered a kit from Steiner. I first cleaned the hyd pump and installed the kit. I put the pump on and got the tractor running again. When I did, the hydraulic system wouldn’t move at all. It had plenty of clean fluid and there were zero leaks. I bled any air in the lines and still got nothing. I figured the seals in the block must have gone bad after sitting so long. I ordered the block rebuild kit from Steiner and commenced the rebuild. I took my time. I spent a full day just cleaning everything. I prepared a very clean work area and took my time. I watched all the videos on line and put her back together. I was surprised how clean it was inside and I didn’t find any o rings missing during the tear down .
I started the tractor and still it doesn’t work. I have spent 2 full days in the barn trying to get the hydraulics to move and I can’t make it work. This is what I’ve done so far.
-I bled the air out of the lines and put a pressure gauge on it. My rigged up gauge had a small leak but the system showed about 25 psi or so at the mid range rpms. The book says 30 psi is normal. Minus the leak I could have got the 30 psi.
-I ran the tractor for at least an hour. The pump is moving oil, the oil is getting warm and there is zero leaks. Not one drop of hyd oil is coming from anywhere.
- I’ve cycled the control about a thousand times. I did it slow, fast, medium. Half up, half down, quarter ways etc. There are no implements on it so I lift it by hand. Still nothing. The rock arm doesn’t do anything. Not once has it moved on its own. No chatter, no vibration, no “kinda moved”, no nothing.
-everything moves freely. The fluid is full. There are no leaks.

This is my first touch control project. I’m pretty good with tools and I have experience fixing my equipment. I do not consider myself an expert, but I’m above average on most stuff. Am I missing something? I triple checked all my work when I rebuilt the block. There were no parts left over. I’m stumped. If someone can offer some advice I would greatly appreciate it. Heck, I’ll even mail you a roll of toilet paper if I can get the hydraulics to move. Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub hydraulic help

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:18 pm

I can't answer your question as to why it's not working, but here is the Touch Control Manual, and in the front is a Troubleshooting Guide. According to the manual, you need to follow it step-by-step.
Hope this helps. Good luck!
http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%20Ribbon%20Service%20Manuals/GSS-1024%20Touch%20Control/GSS-1024%20Touch%20Control.htm

There are also 2 different HOW TO's that do a super job of showing how to rebuild the blocks, depending on which part number you have. You might review the one that applies to your TC Block, to make sure you did everything right.

Finally, are you SURE the pump is putting out the correct pressure? I think that may come up in the troubleshooting...not sure...didn't reread it this time and can't remember!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:39 pm

Remove the orifice and orifice screen and carefully/thoroughly clean them. You get at them through the pipe plug in the Touch-Control head.

Blue6004

Postby Blue6004 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:24 pm

Thanks for the help. The troubleshooting guide is my next step. Looks like I’m taking it apart again. Oh well. At least I’m in the barn listening to the radio.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:37 pm

On the block that attaches the oil lines to the TC block, remove the top plug and see if you have oil flow there. Warning, do not stand in front of the hole when you test it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Blue6004

Postby Blue6004 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:45 pm

I took it off again and double checked everything. I used the troubleshooting guide and a link from another post. Both were excellent resources. I put it back together and it’s still not working. The rock shaft doesn’t move at all. Not even a bit. Does it matter the orientation of the control valve? I didn’t notice how it came out. There are 2 wholes on the side of the control valve. Does it matter which way they are faced? Should they face inboard or outboard in relation to the centerline of the tractor? I’ve run out of ideas.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:28 pm

The problem showed up after you worked on the pump and before you worked on the block. So if you did something wrong that is causing the problem, it is probably something you did in the pump. How about the bearing cover spring (thin sheet metal part) in the pump? Are you absolutely sure you put it back the way you found it? It can be installed wrong side up and the pump will not work.

Blue6004

Postby Blue6004 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:58 pm

I installed the thin spring with the tabs down. Away from the 2 gears. I am not sure how it was when I disassembled it. The parts diagram showed it that way I believe. I will switch it out tomorrow and see if it works. Thanks for the help.

Blue6004

Postby Blue6004 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:21 pm

Thanks Jim. You were spot on. I did install the metal spring incorrectly. The picture I used was confusing. Your photos were much better. I installed the pump and she works like a champ. I greatly appreciate the help.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:34 pm

I'm glad you found the problem. But any photos you looked at were probably by somebody else.

Return to “Farmall Cub”