This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mag Cap Replacement

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CubRepairMan
Zip Code: L6Y1S5
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1947 Farmall A
Culitvator Set for Both
194 Plow
53A Blade
Sickle Mower 5'

Mag Cap Replacement

Postby CubRepairMan » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:31 pm

Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with a replacemnt cap from Steiner Tractor for a J4, Part number IHS 1492. Caps nice and the new gasket but to short in height to make over the coil. Are the new J4 coils shorter in height. Next is I don't remember springs on the inside, Removed the old cap and the two springs came out. Manual doesn't show springs in there over the screws. Anyone come across this before on the forum.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

CubRepairMan
Zip Code: L6Y1S5
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1947 Farmall A
Culitvator Set for Both
194 Plow
53A Blade
Sickle Mower 5'

Re: Mag Cap Replacement

Postby CubRepairMan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:55 pm

Update on this problem,This pertains only to J4 Magneto's. I phoned Steiner Tractor and this cap Replacement has been a problem only twice in a year. Lucky me and another Cub owner in the US.
They are shorter in height come from Taiwan. They know there is a problem, but had no answers for me today. They are meeting about this issue next week and should get back to me with a update.
Almost the same problem with the distribtor cap from IH Dealer. The ones made in China, come in a white box, Part Number 351693R92 DO NOT FIT. So, buy original IH caps. Not sure on other year of tractors but my 1948 Cub is as original as it gets except the carb.
I hope this helps someone else on the forum.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Mag Cap Replacement

Postby tst » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:39 pm

Check with Brillman for a cap

Return to “Farmall Cub”