Front wheels and tires

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rhowes
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 14305
Tractors Owned: 2 vintage cub cadets

Front wheels and tires

Postby rhowes » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:30 pm

Hello everyone I have a question just want some ideas on what to do for a cub with a loader. I am going to gusset the front axle and think that my front tires/rims may not be up to the added weight. If anyone has any other ideas on what to do to the cub and maybe a different front wheel that would take the extra weight would be great thanks Richard

Crimson Tim
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Front wheels and tires

Postby Crimson Tim » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:46 pm

I haven’t heard of anybody feeling the need to upgrade the front wheels themselves (the loaders are only rated for a couple hundred pounds, after all), but people usually do use a wider tire to keep it sinking into the ground.
Of course, a wider tire also turns harder than a skinnier one with the same weight, so you don’t want to go too wide. it’s a bit of a balancing act to pick the right width for your soil and your expected activities. I’m thinking generally 4”-6” is the general range people use, but someone with firsthand experience will weigh in shortly, I expect. (I’m still fabricating mounting brackets for mine, so haven’t gotten to play with it yet.)

This has been discussed at least once in the last couple years. Did you try a search?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:23 pm

John Puckett added thrust washers to the tops of the spindles on his loader Cub. I don't think there is a "how to" on it, so you'd need to do some measuring and see what a supplier like McMaster-Carr has available.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:39 pm

Here is the axle that was on the front of my loader Cub when I got it.

39axle.JPG
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:13 pm

In addition to the thrust bearings, I also installed some wider wheels from The rear of a Cadet, and have car tires on it. the car tires run at higher pressure, and do not sink as bad if the ground is a little soft. Each item mentioned contributes to easier steering. I also added some braces and gussets to the front axles.
ready to bolt.jpg
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

rhowes
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby rhowes » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:23 pm

Barnyard wrote:Here is the axle that was on the front of my loader Cub when I got it.

39axle.JPG

That looks like the way to go. The only thing is it will take away from the originality of the tractor and can not be put to original again. I’m just wondering if I could fab this up from parts and just take my whole front end off and put away in case I want original again. Or maybe clamp on a brace or something. Any ideas?

rhowes
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby rhowes » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:25 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:In addition to the thrust bearings, I also installed some wider wheels from The rear of a Cadet, and have car tires on it. the car tires run at higher pressure, and do not sink as bad if the ground is a little soft. Each item mentioned contributes to easier steering. I also added some braces and gussets to the front axles.
ready to bolt.jpg

I’m not real sure what the thrust bearings do or how and where to install them. Can you give me some more to go on? Thanks

rhowes
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby rhowes » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:58 pm

Thanks for all the input you guys are a wealth of knowledge!! I’m not sure what to expect from the loader or it’s affects on the tractor. This is what I’m thinking. If I put wider tires on the front that can hold more tire pressure and “float” softer soil that will help, then add gussets to the front to bolster the front axle. Then maybe sling some weight to the back of the tractor as well as wheel weights I’m thinking that some of the loaders weight can be transferred to the drive wheels “ never a bad thing”. As long as the rear can take the extra weight? As it will be slung behind the seat and the rear tires. Maybe 100 to 200 pounds. Let me know your thoughts please thanks Richard

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:13 am

Here is a post I did 4 years ago. I use lawn tractor tires/wheels mostly because I have a lot of flood plain and the ground is soft and sandy. I need to spread the load. The normal tires would sink on the loader making it impossible to steer in a rut. So harder to steer vs impossible to steer.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94076&hilit=front+wheels
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:39 pm

Here are my thoughts on the subject. You may not like them, but here they are anyway. The Farmall Cub with the 1000 loader, or any loader for that matter, has limitations. If you operate within those limitations, you and the tractor will be fine. But, it sounds to me like you are not happy with those limitations and are looking for a way to exceed them. If you have a legitimate need for a loader tractor that can do more than the Cub is capable of, get a bigger tractor and loader. You’ll be happier in the long run.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39
Circle of Safety

rhowes
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby rhowes » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:46 pm

Not trying to exceed anything just don’t want to hurt my tractor

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:59 am

The loader will not hurt the tractor the operator will.

As Don said as long as you understand this cub loader has limits and try to operate the tractor within those limits you and the tractor will be ok.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

rhowes
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby rhowes » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:06 am

I was raised buy a man that would figure everything out before he picked up a tool. He over built everything from a hammer handle to the house we lived in . When possible I do the same. When Im building something I want people to look at it and say well that shouldn’t break. I don’t want them to look at something that broke and say he didn’t take the time to figure out the best way. I will try anything just won’t try anything if I do not have a chance to get it right. Thanks for time guys Richard

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:15 pm

I run 3 sets of wheel weights. With the wheels dished out one set of weights can go on the inside, and 2 on the outside. The main thing you need to worry about is dropping a front wheel into a small hole or hitting something with the front wheels when carrying a load.

At the bottom of each spindle is a pair of brass spacers that carry the weight of the tractor. As a minimum, jack the front up and pump grease into the spindles until it comes out the bottom and turn the wheels back and forth to lubricate those bushings good. to make steering still better get some thrust roller bearings from McMaster.com. I believe it takes 1 1/4 inch to fit over the shaft. You will need a spacer above and below to keep the little roller bearings from sinking into the brass. If you have the setscrew steering knuckles you may have to grind a little off the top of the spindle housing to get the set screws back in properly. If you have the knuckles that are clamps with woodruff keys you should be ok.

https://www.mcmaster.com/thrust-bearings
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

rhowes
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby rhowes » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:24 pm

Thanks I just couldn’t rap my head around the thrust roller bearings deal. Now I get it and it makes perfect sense. I was thinking of hanging weight behind the tires and maybe taking a little weight off the front end. now I think it would be better on the rear wheel like you said. Barnyard posted a picture of a front end that someone had put on his loader tractor and I might just fab something like that up and not take a chance on screwing my front end up. But I will still use the thrust bearings that’s a good idea thanks again