This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall cub loader

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rhowes
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14305
Tractors Owned: 2 vintage cub cadets

Farmall cub loader

Postby rhowes » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:54 pm

Hello everyone I have decided to put a loader on my cub. Would love to hear feed back on pros and cons. If anyone knows of a loader or if they have a complete loader they could part with that would be appreciated thanks Richard

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall cub loader

Postby Slim140 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:59 pm

Three cons, steering gets hard to turn, limited capacity on a Cub, can't use the Cub for much else with a loader on it.
One pro, it beats a wheelbarrow.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

rhowes
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby rhowes » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:25 pm

I can see the steering problem and a cub has limited power but the cool factor of rebuilding one and seeing it on a cub is pretty high. I’m retired and would like to do some more with my cub. It has a single plow a sickle mower a belly blade. I would love to add a Wagner or 1000 loader to the mix lol. Thanks for your input. Richard

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:44 pm

This really bears repeating.
Shane N. wrote:. . . can't use the Cub for much else with a loader on it. . . .

Having either a Wagner or IH loader on the tractor severely limits what can be installed at the same time. A few strictly rear mounted implements can be used. If you have a Fast-Hitch, there are a few more options but still very limited choices. All three that you mention are on the not-going-to-happen list. The loaders are enough work to install/remove that you are not going to want to remove it so you can do a little mowing or grading. In all likelihood, you would mount the loader once and never remove it. Or you will remove it once and never mount it again.

There are a few brands of loaders that do not connect directly to the final drive housings. They give you a little more flexibility on using rear mount implements at the same time.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:50 pm

You could always do a loader/backhoe combo: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106189&p=841542&hilit=loader#p841542

I could see a dedicated Cub with any kind of loader on it, opposed to a single, multi-use Cub.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:43 pm

They don't dig tight soil at all.

A couple of years ago I stripped top soil so I could widen my drive. I used the three point tiller on my Kubota to loosen the soil then I put the 1000 to work moving the dirt. It was a lot cheaper than renting a bobcat and I wasn't rushed with having to return a rental. It didn't take much longer this way either.

It also came in handy when it was time to put the ties in place.

The reality is, you will be good to go if you have a second Cub to do your other work.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

rhowes
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby rhowes » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:04 pm

I will not be stopping with one cub. I have had the fever since I was a kid on my fathers knee steering the little tractor with years of growing to do Before ever being able to reach the clutch and being able to drive by myself. In time I’ll add a tractor or maybe two and have a great time rebuilding and painting them. If all I ever do is use the bucket to carry soil to the garden and maybe move some to fill a low spot in the yard. Maybe a Christmas parade. The satisfaction I get from working on old tractors and a money hungry MGB roadster is something I enjoy to no end. Thanks for the pictures they r great Richard

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:06 pm

I like your attitude. :D
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

rhowes
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby rhowes » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:30 pm

Now I need a loader so will be looking for one maybe already on a cub. Thanks to all the comments they are appreciated

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:35 pm

Rhowes, I sent you a personnel message

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:12 pm

I run a Wagner with trip bucket on the 53.
Drawbar is still available for use.
The 48 has the brushhog on it .

Steering is better than anticipated when using the bucket. Moving before steering helps of course.
The bucket has limitations. Staying within them only make sense.
Weighted tires and weights help counterbalance.
My biggest concern is taking it easy on the front tires,wheels and axle. And with a narrow bucket between the wheels , it's easy to bonk a spindle or wheel.

It's my way to carry stuff. That alone makes it worthwhile.
Moved the generator from shed to another shelter earlier this winter real nice.
Lately I've moved snow banks with it ,(easy does it ,watch the tires ect.) , and I enjoyed the seat time.
I dump leaves over the fence opposite the side the dogs run , and when they get deep the Wagner moves them . An annual to semi annual event.

Mounting the tractor I do from the drawbar. Then to dismount hop over the frame on the side ahead of the rear tire while using the frame for a handle on the way down. Interesting with only one leg ,but doable.

And the loader frame puts some distance between me and the tractor more. But it's nothing I have not overcome.

Used within it's limitations it can lift and carry far more than I can. And is a neat addition to a Cub.
It's no modern hustle , and that is part of the appeal.

rhowes
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby rhowes » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:24 pm

Sounds like you have a good time with your cub. My wife says I’m getting smile lines on my face from driving my cub. Not sure where the wrinkles have come from over the years but if it’s the cubs fault I’m good with it. If I was interested in moving a bunch of dirt I’d use something else. I have slowed down a little and enjoy the relaxed time I spend on the tractor. Looking forward to the task of finding rebuilding and mounting a loader thanks for your input it’s appreciated Richard

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:35 pm

I have an IH1000 on a cub. The steering does get hard but in my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons. It is the best wheelbarrow you will ever own! You will not be digging a basement or putting in septic systems with it but it will help you move stuff around.

I would consider reinforcing the front spindles with a gusset or a brace of some sort.
two sets of wheel weights on the back if you put any weight at all in the bucket the back gets light fast.
I would also consider making some forks not added to the bucket but to connect to the frame like the buckt. I use the forks more than the bucket
Lots of arm work at the gym.
If you trim some brackets the drawbar can go on the back with the IH1000.

I picked up a 130 and am moving the IH1000 to the 130. I think it will help get more out of the loader.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Mac AR
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72561
Tractors Owned: 51 Farmall Cub "The little 'un"
55 Farmall 300 "The Big 'Un"
60 IH 340U "The middle 'un"

Postby Mac AR » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:10 pm

We used to have a loader like that, on a Super A instead of a Cub though. Loaded lots of manure with it, cattle and chicken. It wasn't too bad if it was dry, but you could overload it fast in wet stuff. The guy pa got it from had a small broiler house and used it to clean out between batches of birds. It was decent for that, and it sure beat loading the spreader by hand. Like someone else said, best wheelbarrow ever!

Mac
"Go get me a crescent wrench... git the biggest SOB you can find 'cause I'm gonna use it fer a hammer ennyway" - Words of Wisdom from Dad.

Circle of Safety

rhowes
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby rhowes » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:26 pm

Hi thanks for your input. I have located A loader in ny state, The loader is a twin-draulic. I've never heard of it before. Going next week to look and hopefully will b able to bring it home. This loader will allow me to use the regular hydraulics as well as the loader I’m looking to put on a underslung mower with a external engine to run the mower, won’t know if possible until I see the loader and mower together but I cannot wait to find out.

Return to “Farmall Cub”