Any Tips On Mower Belt Tension?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Any Tips On Mower Belt Tension?

Postby ctltmp » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:08 pm

I have a Woods L59 mower under a 52 cub. When I watch the belt at the pto pulley it seems a little loose to me. The manual says to run it pretty tight.

You guys have little tricks for most anything so figured I'd ask. Anything better than pry bar and wrench?

Thanks
WV Mike

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Any Tips On Mower Belt Tension?

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:35 pm

I check belt tension, mower deck in mowing position, engine off, - - - about half way between the idlers and decks' main drive pulley.

Push in on the center of one side of the belt. Depending on belt length, should have perhaps 1 inch deflection. Shorter belts, a bit less deflection.
I have an excuse. CRS.

k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:16 pm

To tighten mine to operating tention l raise the deck as high as l can with the lift arm, loosen just the left pulley of the mule drive, push it down as far as l can by hand, then hold it in place while l tighten it down. When l drop the deck back down to operating level it tightens up perfectly.
FWIW that's my technique.
Good luck
Hutch
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Postby ctltmp » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:29 pm

k hutchins wrote:To tighten mine to operating tention l raise the deck as high as l can with the lift arm, loosen just the left pulley of the mule drive, push it down as far as l can by hand, then hold it in place while l tighten it down. When l drop the deck back down to operating level it tightens up perfectly.
Good luck
Hutch

Thanks, that sounds like a plan!
WV Mike

Crimson Tim
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:15 pm

k hutchins wrote:To tighten mine to operating tention l raise the deck as high as l can with the lift arm, loosen just the left pulley of the mule drive, push it down as far as l can by hand, then hold it in place while l tighten it down. When l drop the deck back down to operating level it tightens up perfectly.
Good luck
Hutch

:Dito:

This works for me. Basically, I get it as tight as I can without going to extreme measures, and it works out about right to avoid belt slippage. I use a prybar or screw driver or something to hold a little downward pressure on the pulley while I tighten it down, but I don’t need to really reef on it if I do this with the deck up.
The end result should be the deflection that Eugene mentioned when the deck is down in operating position.