This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

6V System w/4 position switch w/cutout and Delco Remy Regulator

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
1sgWillys
Zip Code: 62565
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub

6V System w/4 position switch w/cutout and Delco Remy Regulator

Postby 1sgWillys » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:18 pm

Received my Brillman harness for the 6V system with 4 way switch and cutout today and the instructions do not mention the regulator. My Current regulator is a Delco Remy (two tabs on the roght an one in the left). There is one tab on the right (nearest to the starter) that does not have wire on it. Wondering what is supposed to connect there? I don't know if the four way switch work for the low and high charge but does work for the lights. Looking for a solid diagram for this setup. The operator manual shows a different style regulator.
1950 Farmall Cub :tractor:

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 6V System w/4 position switch w/cutout and Delco Remy Regulator

Postby tst » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:06 pm

try this
Attachments
cut out charging.jpg

1sgWillys

Postby 1sgWillys » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:05 pm

Thank you for the diagram. This helps a lot. So then with the setup in the diagram (which matches my setup) the third tab on the regulator remains open?

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:46 pm

1sgWillys wrote:Thank you for the diagram. This helps a lot. So then with the setup in the diagram (which matches my setup) the third tab on the regulator remains open?

If you have three terminals on the regulator, it is actually a cutout. In that case, the "F" terminal on the cutout should be left unconnected. As shown in the diagram, the "F" terminal on the generator is wired to the field resistor on the 4-position light switch to control the charging.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:25 am

Hi,
If the system is as it originally was, with the cutout, or Relay IH called it, on top of the generator, there is no voltage regulator. The Relay is not a voltage regulator.
The 4 position switch controls the charge rate, you have to choose the charge rate yourself, High or Low charge.
tst's wiring diagram above is the right one for a Relay system.

The voltage regulator came out at serial number 115403, which was during 1950.
Battery Ignition came out then also.

Below is a page from the 1950 Cub owner's manual showing the electrical system for Cubs before 115403.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2033.jpg

1sgWillys

Postby 1sgWillys » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:59 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
If the system is as it originally was, with the cutout, or Relay IH called it, on top of the generator, there is no voltage regulator. The Relay is not a voltage regulator.
The 4 position switch controls the charge rate, you have to choose the charge rate yourself, High or Low charge.
tst's wiring diagram above is the right one for a Relay system.

The voltage regulator came out at serial number 115403, which was during 1950.
Battery Ignition came out then also.

Below is a page from the 1950 Cub owner's manual showing the electrical system for Cubs before 115403.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2033.jpg

My serial is 113,000+ but under 113,200. Tractor is not in front of me. Thank you for clarifying the cutout vs regulator. Now it's making sense as to why that one lug is empty. So if the operator controls the battery charge rate with the dash control then how do you know when to use the low or high charge rate? Does the tractor only really put a draw on the battery when the lights are on? Sorry for the 20 questions. I am pretty new to this.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:19 pm

I generally leave mine in the low setting unless I flooded the engine and had to crank it a lot. If you're starting and stopping the engine often or are running the lights for long periods (both headlights and a rear work light will draw slightly more current than the generator puts out), you might want to bump it up to high. I would not leave it on high if I was running for more than a half hour at a time with the lights off unless the battery was nearly dead when I started.
Jim

Circle of Safety

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631

Postby MiCarl » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:40 pm

If your Cub is magneto ignition the only electricity used (other than when cranking) is for the lights. That 4 position switch grounds the field terminal at the high charge setting or the lights on settings. The owners manual says to leave it in the low setting unless you have reason to believe the battery is somewhat discharged.

When I got my '44 H the generator field terminal had a jumper to ground. Some checking revealed that the wire to the 4 position switch has an open in it and the electrical system was running at more than 8 volts, which concerned me for battery life. I happened to notice in the manual a description of the 4 position switch and the low charge resistor and there was an off hand mention that tractors without lights don't have the 4 position switch and instead have the resistor in the field circuit all the time. That caused the old noggin' to have a thought and I checked the "F" terminal at the cut out relay. It turns out that's got the resistor for tractors without lights.

The tractor has LED lights so doesn't really need the high charge from the 4 position switch and it's a community use thing so don't really need someone cranking it up and ruining the battery. So I connected the "F" terminal on the cut out to the "F" terminal on the generator and all is good.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:40 pm

Hi,
The Cub owner's manual has info about the electrical system, and will help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1950 Cub owner's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it.
The lube section begins on page 14. Changing the trans and final drive oils are on pages 20 and 21.

Page 34 has info about using the charge and light switch, starting at the lower left of the page.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

The recommendation in the manual to use Touch Control fluid in the Touch Control was changed later to use Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using a Cub with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in it.
There are 3 separate gear housings at the rear area of a Cub, with 3 separate oil levels to check, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

Below is a page from the 1955 Cub operator's manual showing the electrical system, the voltage regulator is on a mounting plate, not on top of the generator.
This is the system used beginning at serial number 115403. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2050.jpg

Whitecub50
Zip Code: 46360

Postby Whitecub50 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:26 pm

Hey guys I have a 1950 cub that is 6 volt positive ground and I’m horrible with electrical, reading and understanding it anything to do with electrical I’m absolutely ignorant. I have a 3 brush delco remy generator and I’m trying to run it with a 6 volt positive ground voltage regulator, I’m sorry if this sounds dumb or guys are like why the hell would you do that, but like I said I’m terrible with this kinda stuff. Question is can I use this setup? And will it charge correctly? Do I need to break down and spend the money on a cutout/relay?? Need help please. The tractor was 12 volt negative ground with distributor and I bought brand new magneto and converted it back to 6 volt. I do have the 4 position light switch also, will this work with my setup??

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:01 pm

What you are saying/trying is reasonable in general. However, there are many detail variations of both generators and regulators. They were originally paired up in specific combinations and generally work best if properly matched.

What are the part numbers of your generator and regulator? Generators originally had a part number stamped into an oval shaped tag. Regulators often have at least a partial part number stamped into the base.

The 4-position switch (the generally rectangular shaped one) will work with about any version of charging system. The first two switch positions (low and high) only come into play if you have a cutout rather than a full voltage regulator. We can get into that detail as needed based on what you have for a regulator.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:16 pm

Hi,
Whitecub50, Welcome to the website.

It is not hard to understand the electrical system on a Cub. My posts above have info.

Read the electrical section in the Cub operator's manual.
You have to know the serial number of the Cub to know which manual to look at.
I posted the 1950 Cub operator's manual above.
The 1950 operator's manual only has info for the earlier system, with the cutout, or Relay, IH called it.
The 1955 operator's manual has info for the newer system, with voltage regulator, and the Battery Ignition unit.

Like I wrote above, The cutout or Relay, IH called it, was used up to serial number 115403, which was during 1950.
If your Cub is number 115403, or newer, it would have come with a voltage regulator, and could have come with a Battery Ignition unit.
If it is serial number 115403 or above, you didn't need to buy a magneto, if it came with a Battery Ignition unit.
IH sold a kit, beginning in the early 1950's, to convert older Cubs with magnetos to Battery Ignition.

3 brush generators were used on Cubs from 1947, up into the 1960's, so that is what it originally had.

The generator on Cubs with a voltage regulator up through the mid 1950's was Delco model number 1100501.
The generator used with a Relay was model number 1101355.
There was originally a plate on the generators with the model number, it is the number on the left side of the plate.
It would be helpful to write your tractor serial number, and generator model number on here, like Jim said above. :)

Whitecub50
Zip Code: 46360

Postby Whitecub50 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:05 am

Ok thanks guys, I will get the numbers off of the generator and regulator and post them ASAP and look into the Manual. The tractor serial# is 106505 so that’s before the 115403. Someone had already converted it from 6v to 12v and I converted it back. I wanted it to be as it came originally. I’ve already had buddies asking why the hell would I want that and my only answer Is that my 49 i had was 6v and I like the fact that if I was out in the field working and shut the tractor down for a few and went to start it back up and the battery for whatever reason was dead I could hand crank it and it would run unlike a distributor. The only thing I wouldn’t have would be lights.

tomcough
Zip Code: 01775
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall 130

Postby tomcough » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:58 am

I have a a '48 Cub with 4 position switch, cutout but with the "F" terminal on the cutout connected to the "F" on the generator. The generator is the earlier 1101355. This Cub has lights that I believe are factory. The wiring looks original. This tractor hasn't been started in 27 years (I'm slowly reviving it). When I last ran it, the generator was charging.

Here's a pic (sorry for the orientation).
Attachments
Generator and Cutout.jpg

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:25 am

tomcough wrote:. . . the "F" terminal on the cutout connected to the "F" on the generator. . . .

The wire from the generator "F" to the cut-out "FLD" has been added. Note that you also have a second wire from the generator "F" going somewhere into the harness. The other end of that wire should be on the light switch. The added wire would force the generator to charge at the "low" rate even if the light switch is defective or not properly connected. That is probably why the wire was added. If the switch is good and all connections (including grounds) are also good, the added wire would cause a slight increase in the charging rate when the light switch is on "low". Otherwise it would have no effect.