This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How to tell 6V from 12V system

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: How to tell 6V from 12V system

Postby Eugene » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:46 am

calebpalmer86 wrote:One problem is that (In true Paw Paw fashion) the hand crank is missing, so attempting to free the motor that way isn’t an option. I may have to take the head off and tap the pistons.
Remove spark plugs. Soak piston heads with solvent. Tractor in 3rd gear. Rock the tractor using a rear tire.
Shane N, is there a mounting bracket that fits with that alternator you’d recommend?
Grandpa probably used a Delco 10SI alternator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:58 am

Not sure if he still is making them, but Bill (aka Barnyard) had some nice handcranks for sale. You might send him a PM, if you want to make things easier on yourself.

Also, if you do a search, you will find postings with several different ways to use your existing bracket for an alternator. Or you can post on the VINE a request for one...there are forum members who make brackets for alternators.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:36 am

I'd encourage you to fully utilize the Search box in the upper right of each screen. By typing in a word or phase, you can get quite a listing. But each set of returned results has its own Search box above it on the left side, where you can search that listing for more specific terms.

For example, I typed in "hand crank" in the Search box (upper right corner of screen). That resulted in 2153 matches on the forum. By the way, if you use quotations marks, it will hit all the posts that have the two words "hand" and "crank" together, as well as individually. If you leave out the quotation marks, then it will only return those two words wherever they alone show up. In this case, hand crank returned a list of 2758 matches. Moving on from there, once you have the first batch of matches to the phrase "hand crank", then go over to the left side of the screen above the listing and you will see another Search box. In that I typed "dimensions" (I didn't use quotes in that box since it was only one word). That search returned 34 matches containing the words dimensions, hand, crank. I went to the 2nd posting by Don McCombs and there was a PDF dimensioned drawing of a Cub hand crank. Here it is:
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102682&p=812240&hilit=hand+crank+dimensions#p812240

Here's a thread in the How To Forum on properly hand cranking a Cub: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=46811&p=386701&hilit=hand+crank#p386701

Earlier, I also gave you a link to a posting back in your first thread "Confusion about year of my cub" on What to do with a Cub you just brought home. In it are many, many good tips on what to do in your situation.

You mentioned that this Cub was inherited. I would also suggest that you go back to wherever this Cub originally rested and ask or search for the hand crank and any other Cub-related items. Unless the property was sold, you should have family access and rights to look around for it. Now that you can have a dimensioned drawing, you'll know what to look for.

You're doing good by asking questions. Members here are anxious to help.

I know it would be a 5 hour drive from the beautiful hills of Blue Ridge, Georgia, but if you could make the time to travel to Sneads, FL on Feb 14th and 15th, you'd have such a great time and learn so much from fellow Forum members. They'd welcome you greatly! Here's the links to the CubFest calendar and Deep South CubFest.
CubFest Calendar
Deep South CubFest
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:58 am

Without going back and reading all the posts has anyone thought that this is a 6v tractor that used a 12v coil with a resistor because a 6v coil was not available?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:29 pm

Gary S. wrote:Without going back and reading all the posts has anyone thought that this is a 6v tractor that used a 12v coil with a resistor because a 6v coil was not available?
The ballast resistor is used to drop the voltage through the coil and to the points by about 50%. Using the resistor on a tractor with a 6 volt electrical system would drop the voltage to somewhere around 3 volts.

The points need to operate in the 4.5 to 9 volt range.

A 12 volt coil will work ok on a 6 volt electrical system.
I have an excuse. CRS.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:44 am

Eugene wrote:
calebpalmer86 wrote:One problem is that (In true Paw Paw fashion) the hand crank is missing, so attempting to free the motor that way isn’t an option. I may have to take the head off and tap the pistons.
Remove spark plugs. Soak piston heads with solvent. Tractor in 3rd gear. Rock the tractor using a rear tire.
Shane N, is there a mounting bracket that fits with that alternator you’d recommend?
Grandpa probably used a Delco 10SI alternator.

Agree with Eugene, remove the plugs and soak the cylinders with your favorite penetrating oil/witches brew. You can't do any harm and it will lubricate the cylinders, maybe free the rings. I would not remove the head unless there is no other choice. The head bolts are notorious for breaking if not been removed in a long time. They penetrate into the water jacket and the threads are usually rusted making them difficult to remove. If you remove the starter you can try moving the crank with a pry motion on the teeth of the ring gear. Try to move it in both directions. While the starter is off you can test it for operation by connecting it to a battery with jumper cables. 12v won't damage the starter as long as you run it briefly. A family tractor is worth a lot of effort to save it, IMHO. Don't give up :surrender: and Good luck, wish I were closer to your location. :hattip:
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Return to “Farmall Cub”