cub transmission oops?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
36farmallf20
Zip Code: 00000

cub transmission oops?

Postby 36farmallf20 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:59 pm

I was replacing the transmission input shaft along with all of the other pto components due to wear. when I removed the input shaft i noticed the front bearing was sealed on 1 side and the sealed side was facing the transmission. To me this seemed backwards one would think the open side would face the oil so I reversed the bearing on the new shaft pointing the open side to the trans with the seal up against the retainer. I assumed this was the correct way and considering the other creative repairs I have found it would not of surprised me if it was installed wrong by a previous owner. After doing some reading it sounded like I made the mistake by installing the bearing like I have. My question is will the bearing still get enough lube or do I need to re-split the tractor and reverse the bearing?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: cub transmission oops?

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:29 pm

Originally that bearing was a shielded bearing, not sealed, but yes, the seal should be next to the gears. Oil is slung off the transmission gears and lands in a pocket on the front of the transmission. There is a hole (frequently plugged with sludge) that takes the oil down into a space between the bearing and the outer seal, which keeps the bearing lubricated. With the seal next to the outside it blocks oil from the bearing, resulting in a life of only a few hour of the bearing. I learned to pay attention to that when I bought a used shaft with the bearing installed, and put it in without checking. In about 10 hours or so of run time I was splitting it again to replace the noisy bearing and discovered the sealed side of the bearing on the side away from the gears rather than next to it.

Also, don't forget the seal retainer on that shaft should be turned so the flat side of the retainer is out.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!