This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

touch control travel

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06482
Circle of Safety: Y

touch control travel

Postby halftonstude » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:04 pm

I find myself lost in reading some evenings, then realizing some of the posts are over 10 years old, but it's all great information! I didn't want to hijack a thread started by wrz in november of 2019, though it was pretty close to what i'm looking at. '52 cub with touch control i finished restoring. I was looking for information on the travel of the tc - wouldn't matter if it were the tc rock shaft, or the control lever. the travel of my actuating lever matches wrz's: it goes all the way back, and about 2/3 of the way forward. The rock shaft moves almost 90 degrees, but i didn't think it was enough (no implements mounted yet) so put masking tape on the hood and made some marks. When i disconnected the lever and rod and moved the yoke by hand, i got another inch of travel of the rock shaft - listening to hydraulic pressure by the load on the engine. The pressure is low at each end of the travel, high while traveling. The indicator stops are moved all the way out of the way, nothing binding but in one spot: where the control rod hits one of the bolts holding the control valve operating lever stop. I checked to make sure the bolts are correct, and they are. So I have two questions:

1) the movement of the lever is determined physically and geometrically by the touch control unit and its linkages. how could the lever possibly move more than approximately 2/3 of the way along the quadrant?
2) The control rod is installed correctly, no washers under the bolt heads for the control valve stop just the thin sheet metal to lock the bolts in place. nothing lifting up the steering shaft support arm higher than it should be (which would lift the control rod higher decreasing clearance at this bolt). and in order to get full travel of the rock shaft the adjusting nuts are way out at the very end of the control rod.

Any BTDT's? Thank you all in advance.
c

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

wrz
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 85233
Tractors Owned: 47 Fcub
51 Fcub
57 Lo Boy FH
59 Lo Boy FH 45 Loader

Re: touch control travel

Postby wrz » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:07 pm

Currently my touch control unit is off the tractor. The levers (front of the unit) that control the valve were very stiff which have been cleaned up. Purchased an overhaul kit from TM and as soon as the unit gets cleaned up will go through the touch control. I believe something is wrong internal. Looking at the rocker arm on the right side you can see where some one pounded on the arm to force it to push the piston back in. Bad O ring or broken spring?
wm

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:40 pm

Hi,
I would lube the linkage at the front of the Touch Control, and be sure it works freely.
I sent you a PM.

Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the front of a Touch Control. There are several pivot points.
I oil the pin at the front of the connecting rod also, where it connects to the rockshaft, it is part way out in the pic. :)
Attachments
Cub T C 4.jpg

halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06482

Postby halftonstude » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:13 pm

I rebuilt the tc. All new seals o rings etc. all points of contact on the linkages weren’t painted but buffed and properly lubricated. Travel of the pistons is good I moved them individually stop to stop while still on the bench. Clean new screens clean oil rebuilt pump also. New boots not binding. I think the travel restriction is merely where the control rod hits that bolt. I’ll pull it out of the shop and photo for this thread tomorrow. Thanks so far!
C

Return to “Farmall Cub”