This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends!

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:31 pm

The Cub I had recently bought was a non runner. This week I decided to get it in running condition. After putting a pony tank on it and a fresh 6v battery I was able to get it to fire, but it would run for about 15 seconds and stop. After doing this about four times I cleaned the metering jet. Once I did that it would not start with a 6v battery. I finally installed a 12v battery and it fired and ran good. Once I made sure it had oil pressure it stalled again. I went to the house for about a half hur and when I came back I decided to fire it up again and figure out why it was still stalling.

This time I found there was no spark. I check everything I could. While doing so I also wondered why the shop had a foul burnt smell. It took about five minutes before I saw the oil running out of the coil. Hmmm... 12v battery, 6v coil and ignition switch left on for half an hour. That was easy enough to figure out. After a trip to Rural King for a new coil and installing it I still had no spark. Looking at the points, I saw that I was successful in destroying those as well. I removed the generator and voltage regulator so I hand more room to get to the distributor bolts. I put the distributor in the vice and replaced the points and condenser. A special thanks to Gary Dotson for taking the time at an earlier CubFest to show me the steps involved. They are easy once you get used to it. Another thanks to Jeff Silvey, who I called while installing the points, for reminding me what the gap is for a distributer versus a mag.

After I put the distributor in I hooked up the new coil and the plug wires and I cranked it over. Still no spark, so I checked and rechecked the wires, the coil and anything else I could think of. No luck at all. I finally decided to give up for the night. After about half an hour I asked myself, "Self, did you put the rotor back in the distributor?" So I just had to go back out to ease my mind. As soon as I got to the shop I saw the rotor sitting on the floor pan. I put it back and tried again. I spent another hour looking for the problem. I finally gave up and really called it a night.

The next morning I sat and stared at the wiring diagram. For over an hour I couldn't see where my problem was (yes the switch was on). Wait, remember earlier in this post I said I removed the generator and voltage regulator? I had planned to put it all back after I was sure the distributor didn't have to come back off. Well, there is a wire that goes from from the starter to the ammeter, from the ammeter to the regulator, from the regulator to the switch and then from the switch to the coil. Any disconnect in this route means NO JUCE to the coil. Just to make sure I was thinking straight this time I placed a call to the forum wiring Guru, The Bigdog. Once Darrell confirmed my suspicion I reconnected the regulator. Voila, we have a running Cub.

So here is a tip to any newbie bringing home a non runner. Make sure your wires are clean and connected when you aren't getting spark. I should have known this, but it took awhile (a couple of days) to sink in. The regulator can be by-passed, but the two wires will need to be spliced together.

All in all, thanks to Gary, Jeff and Bigdog for sharing your knowledge when needed.

I know this is long, but I figured you all were looking for something to read on a cold (here) Sunday afternoon.

Here is the final result.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

rockfarmer
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 78633
Tractors Owned: 1947 Circle Cub
1948 Cub
1949 Cub (Rocky)
1950 Cub
1962 Cub

Re: I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends!

Postby rockfarmer » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:06 pm

Barnyard,

Thanks for the read. Good lesson too...engine sounds good!

Not cold down here but the cedar pollen is terrible. Only pollen in the country that effects me. Tried to do some discing yesterday and after 10-15 minutes nose was dripping like a leaky faucet and eyes were nearly shut. Every year, at this time while staying indoors as much as possible, I ask myself, why I'm living here? At least I have this forum to read.

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:08 pm

Nice snag Bill , she does sound good . gosh , how many times have we all gone through a similar experience . good to know i am not alone in that regard :wink: coppersmythe....................

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:39 pm

Sometimes it really pays to force yourself to stick with it...that, and some great, knowledgeable friends!!! Sounds WAY to good to be left in the Barnyard...and it's my favorite style cub! :wink:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:12 pm

I did close to the same about a year ago. I was plowing some snow and the tractor abruptly quit. I discovered no spark and traced my way back to the points. When I took the cover off, I found the spring on the ignition points had broken. I didn't like the idea of changing points out in the cold and quickly decided to wad up some of a not-too-dirty grease rag and stuff it in behind the points to push them closed. Maybe it would keep it running long enough to return to the barn. Tried to start it and again no spark.

At that point, I recruited my helper and we pushed it inside so I could figure out what was wrong. Of course, the electrical connection from the coil to the points goes through the spring. It didn't matter that the points closed as the broken spring left the circuit open.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:15 pm

rockfarmer wrote:. . . I ask myself, why I'm living here? . . .

A few years ago I asked myself the same question about living in Texas, couldn't come up with a good enough reason.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:00 pm

Reminds me of a time when my '53 fired up then quit running. I cranked and cranked and nothing. I pulled the distributor cap and readjusted the points. Still, nothing. Checked spark and had spark. Looked in the gas tank and yes, you guessed it. No fuel. :oops:
Oh well. I only spent about 45 minutes before checking fuel. I'll never get those 45 minutes back. :lol:
Your's sounds great Bill!!
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:42 am

Why is it called Somerville? Just curious!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:08 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Why is it called Somerville? Just curious!

I bought it in Somerville, Ohio.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:48 pm

Barnyard wrote:...So here is a tip to any newbie bringing home a non runner. Make sure your wires are clean and connected when you aren't getting spark. I should have known this, but it took awhile (a couple of days) to sink in. The regulator can be by-passed, but the two wires will need to be spliced together.

Glad to hear you got her back runnin', Bill.

Looks like this post could be trimmed down and copied into the How To Forum.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:19 pm

Stanton wrote:Looks like this post could be trimmed down and copied into the How To Forum.

I will try to get a good pic for a simple demonstration and put it in the electrical section.

Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:18 pm

Barnyard wrote:
Stanton wrote:Looks like this post could be trimmed down and copied into the How To Forum.

I will try to get a good pic for a simple demonstration and put it in the electrical section.

Good. Thought the positive feedback warrantied it.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06482

Postby halftonstude » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:10 pm

The only problems i've had with points ignition is when the condenser fails - and you said you changed that right in the beginning. I had a bunch of NOS condensers for my studebaker truck and i could only get a couple hours of running out of any of them. i had purchased about a dozen and thought I love using NOS stuff, it's authentic, but then the EE in me kicked in... a DC capacitor sitting on a shelf for almost 70 years... duh! I bought a box of new ones, and now question why i bought so many... one will last me for a long time and then i'll have a box of unused ones on the shelf that will fail and i'll go through it all over again!! glad you got it running, it sounds great!
c

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:43 pm

Thanks for the post Bill! W/remember that @ DSCF in Feb. !!!
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:42 am

Bill, there may be more than one Somerville, OH. but the one I know best is only about 15 miles East of my place. In fact, the day you were here, we passed through Somerville, coming home from the restaurant.

Return to “Farmall Cub”