Broken driveshaft at tranny bearing.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Broken driveshaft at tranny bearing.

Postby BigBill » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:13 am

A while back(years) my fcub broke the driveshaft at the tranny bearing. There was two different colors on the end of the shaft. This tells me it broke once then finally severed. There is a circle on the outside we’re it cracked first. This tells me the shaft can arc or bend under pressure. I been wondering if anyone has experienced this before?

I’m thinking the shaft needs a support bearing or a stiffener attached to the shaft? A stiffener can be made with collars and a piece of pipe that attaches to the shaft. A bearing support would have to come off the front of the tranny and support the shaft.

Any Thoughts?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

MiCarl
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Broken driveshaft at tranny bearing.

Postby MiCarl » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:31 pm

Unless everything is perfectly aligned (it never is) the shaft will flex. After enough cycles it'll strain harden and break. Any kind of surface imperfection will concentrate the stresses and it'll have a shorter life.

I recall in college (Engineering school) something about one of the auto makers doing a vehicle with a flexible drive shaft rather than universal joints. It worked great right up until a stone nicked it and then it was done for.

If you support it the flexing will be in a shorter section and it'll fail faster. A better option might be to pull it every 60 years or so and anneal it.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:52 pm

Luckily I purchased two like new drive shafts from Ralph who was here selling cub stuff. As far as this tear down I might as well go completely through the cub changing all the seals and put a clutch in it too. Heck new rings and bearings isn’t that far away. Can’t paint it till it’s done.

My two physical therapists are pushing me to exercise. I’m doing good now.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:36 am

Sounds like you have two halves of a driveshaft to carry while walking. One really short walking stick and some brass knuckles.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ricky racer » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:04 am

:weaping: :weaping:

MiCarl wrote: A better option might be to pull it every 60 years or so and anneal it.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:40 am

I don’t want to reassemble it with the same flaw where it will fracture again. That square cut for the oring infront of the input bearing is were she fractured. The drivevshaft has to whip in the tunnel and that square cut is the cause of the fracture.

A Walking stick from the old driveshaft I think not, im thinking a steel clutch aligning tool?
Cut it off shorter. The rest of the shaft I’ll save in my re bar pile I’ll intomb it in cement. I put engine blocks, heads ect. In cement pillars for my shed.