This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch Problems Again

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Clutch Problems Again

Postby DonMountain » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:52 pm

A couple of years ago I started having progressively more problems with my clutch not completely releasing, so that the gears would grind when pushing down and holding the clutch down for awhile before trying to put it in gear. After adjusting everything including the clutch pedal and the clutch fingers to the recommended 1-1/4" a couple of times, I finally gave up and replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and the supporting linkage. The clutch seemed to work ok for awhile, but wasn't quite right. Now its going down the same declining path as the old clutch, grinding the gears after holding the clutch down for awhile. I noticed that when I purchased the new clutch pressure plate that the fingers where adjusted way different than the recommended 1-1/4". It seems that they were way less, like maybe 7/8" or so, but I don't really remember clearly. So, since I had the same grinding gear problems with the old clutch that I had adjusted to the 1-1/4" setting, and the new clutch with the same adjustment, I am now starting to think this new clutch should be readjusted back to its factory setting of 7/8" to make this work. Its in a 1959 International Cub Lo-Boy. Anybody know what could be wrong with this clutch? :lost:
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Clutch Problems Again

Postby Eugene » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:07 pm

Pilot shaft bushing lubricated?
I have an excuse. CRS.

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DonMountain » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:26 pm

The pilot bearing was just on the large size of the allowable dimension as I recall. There was like an extra thousandth of an inch bigger than the shaft pilot allowable gap. And it was lubricated when put back together.
1950 Farmall M

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:16 pm

Hi,
They have said on here that the finger height on a new pressure plate needs setting to the 1 1/4" height, that they are usually too low the way they come, when the pressure plate is installed on the flywheel.

The throwout bearing and holder can only move a certain distance ahead before they hit the turning pressure plate. The bearing has to push the fingers far enough ahead to release the clutch before it hits the turning pressure plate.
If the fingers are too low, the bearing runs out of movement before the clutch releases.

They have said on here that the finger height of 7/8" when the pressure plate is assembled on the flywheel is too low. :)

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DonMountain » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:54 pm

So, what can be wrong with my clutch then? When I push the pedal down the shaft to the transmission stays turning and grinds the gears. This same thing occurred with my original clutch with the fingers adjusted to the 1-1/4" spacing, and now the new clutch is doing the exact same thing. With all new parts in the linkage so there is no looseness or play anywhere. And my pedal play is set to the 1" also. I have to do something as the tractor with new clutch is unusable.
1950 Farmall M

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DonMountain » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:09 pm

The next question I might ask is, are there any "Factory" specifications for the setting of the clutch finger height published anywhere? Is it 7/8" or 1-1/4"? I have seen specifications listed for dimensions when the clutch pressure plate is assembled in the "Factory" support tool. And I would assume when a new clutch is put together and shipped out as being "adjusted" to the "Factory" specifications on the "Factory" assembly tool that it would be correct in adjustment when I bolted it on the flywheel? So, what did I do to it to make it not work correctly now? The only adjustments that can be made in the system is the clutch pedal clearance of 1", and the clutch finger height adjustments. So, which one of these did I adjust wrongly?
1950 Farmall M

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:33 pm

mountain4don wrote:I would assume when a new clutch is put together and shipped out as being "adjusted" to the "Factory" specifications on the "Factory" assembly tool that it would be correct in adjustment when I bolted it on the flywheel?
Not my experience. They all need to be checked and adjusted for finger height.

Might read the last 3 or 4 posts in the following topic.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105970
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:35 pm

mountain4don wrote:The next question I might ask is, are there any "Factory" specifications for the setting of the clutch finger height published anywhere? . . .

Yes. It is 2-7/32 measured from the flywheel surface the pressure plate is bolted to. The problem is it isn't an easy measurement to take. I've never tried.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:00 pm

Hi,
I sent you a PM.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:41 am

mountain4don wrote:So, what can be wrong with my clutch then? When I push the pedal down the shaft to the transmission stays turning and grinds the gears. This same thing occurred with my original clutch with the fingers adjusted to the 1-1/4" spacing, and now the new clutch is doing the exact same thing. With all new parts in the linkage so there is no looseness or play anywhere. And my pedal play is set to the 1" also. I have to do something as the tractor with new clutch is unusable.

How ,long does it take for movement of your transmission to stop?

One of mine it is a substantial wait , if you're in a hurry.. More it seems when under load with the mower. I get a breather and look around while the deck pulley winds down. And that's fine . Beats slamming to a stop , and at start up.

The other Cub needs things to stop too before shifting. It's not instant , and it's not always a brief pause. I'm pleased with the clutch in it though.

My only interest is knowing when movement has stopped before shifting. Clutch still ain't right/perfect (if perfect exists) on the 48 , but much is worn holding it too. I suspect hanger bracket holes are egged out. Not bad enough to tear down again though. Yet.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:39 pm

Sounds to me like the transmission never stops turning.
So either something with the clutch is not releasing or the PTO pilot bushing is binding.
Get underneath and observe the clutch disengagement through the hand hole while someone actuated the clutch.

If everything is good there, then it must be the pilot bushing. Someone (Dale?) had some success lubricating the pilot bushing without splitting the tractor a couple years ago.

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DonMountain » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:16 pm

So, as a test, if I take the belt off the mounted mower deck and put the PTO in gear, and the transmission in neutral and have someone hold the clutch pedal down, how much resistance should be there in rotating the pulley on the PTO? This would be done with the engine off course. And could this give me an indication of whether the clutch itself is not disengaging? When I put the new clutch in I placed a dab of high temperature grease on the shaft that fits into the pilot bushing as suggested here. And I plan to dismount the mower deck and bring it up to the shop to see what I can see up though the clutch inspection cover as soon as we get all of these deer hanging in there out of the way.
1950 Farmall M

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:22 pm

I did have some success on one cub I no longer own, per a post made a while back using two "straws" taped together so lubricant could be sprayed into the pilot bushing. I don't remember the poster, but a search should find it, or maybe someone else (Glen?!) might locate it.

I must say that I currently own a cub that I was unsuccessful using that procedure, and at the Bash this year, actually split it twice before I was able to improve it enough to use without gritting my teeth! It still requires a count to 10 after pressing down the clutch peddle and shifting from neutral into any gear.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:45 pm

While you're looking through the clutch inspection hole, take a good look at the TOB yoke and linkage. Check for any breaks, bending or wear.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DonMountain » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:37 pm

I replaced all of the throw out bearing yoke, pins and linkage when I recently replaced the clutch disk, pressure plate and throw out bearing. The clutch has never really worked correctly since I replaced all of this. Right from the beginning it was hard to shift unless I had the mower deck attached and the PTO turned on. But the PTO right from the beginning with the new clutch would grind the gears and was hard to put in gear after pushing in the clutch and waiting for things to spin down.
1950 Farmall M