This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lawn Roller for Gravel Driveway

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44236
Tractors Owned: 48 FCub
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Lawn Roller for Gravel Driveway

Postby lyle11 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:08 am

I read the past topic on lawn rollers, but my intended use is not for rolling over grass. I need a roller for a 1/4 mile long driveway. I plan to pull it with a Cub so I put this on the Cub forum. This is at my place in Wisconsin which I have closed up until next spring, but I want to get a roller by next April and might find an end of the season sale so I figured I’d start looking now.

What I have is a neglected driveway that hadn’t had gravel added for almost 20 years. This fall I had 5 loads of gravel spread which covered about 1/2 of the length of the driveway. It is the type of gravel that consists of small rocks, sand and some clay and is supposed to repel and shed rain once it is compressed.

Unless it can be fabricated very easily I’m probably looking at buying the roller. I have found there are basically 2 types of rollers that you fill with water. Poly and steel. Poly costs about 60% of the cost of a steel roller. They weigh in the 500-1000 LB range full of water depending on the size. I read the reviews and it’s sounds like most function fine but may have some fixable design flaws.

I have found at least 2 that are manufactured in USA which are Brinly and Ohio Steel. Other brands are Fimco and Agri-Fab but I haven’t researched them. They are typically special order items at places like Home Depot or Menards and not in the store to look at.

Ideally I would like a 5’ wide roller that I could take up and down one time to roll 1/2 of the width of the gravel on the way down and 1/2 on the way back up.

I realize I can call the manufacturers and ask questions but mainly I wanted to ask if anyone has used one of these store bought rollers to compress gravel. My concern is whether the poly is will hold up on gravel. I read it is about the thickness of a 5 gallon pail. The steel rollers are more durable but eventually rust out because it’s impossible to drain 100% of the water. For one I read the steel is 14 gauge.

Also, other than volume to add water for weight, I’m not sure if a 5’ wide X 24” diameter would be better than an 5’ wide X 18” diameter roller.

From what I have read the Cub should be able to handle a 1000 LB roller. The driveway has a steady (guessing 20 degree) incline.

I’m just looking for any comments or opinions on what might work for this application, whether you have owned one or not.

Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Lawn Roller for Gravel Driveway

Postby Eugene » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:03 pm

Own a 30 gallon poly lawn roller. Works well for lawns, not so sure about a gravel drive. The poly gets significant cuts/dings from parking area gravel that creeps into the lawn.

Might try the equipment rental locations to see if they have one and cost.

Have a gravel drive on the acreage. Compacting is not a problem. Lots of traffic; large trucks, tractors with trailers, and cars compact fresh gravel.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Ky Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 41094

Postby Ky Cub » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:25 pm

Buy a steel and fill it with sand, works good.

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:34 pm

Thanks Eugene. I could probably drive my Cub, or heavier but unreliable Allis Chalmers B, up and down the driveway to pack it down. I only go there 6 times per year, about a week at a time, so it doesn’t get regular traffic. There are some big ruts under the gravel I had spread. Some places the new gravel is at least 8” deep and other places 4” deep. So I’m trying to find a way to smash it down more uniformly so the surface is flatter. It was way too wet when I was there last week to do anything.

I’ll see what other opinions I get but a $200 poly roller wouldn’t be that big of any expense if it only held up for a few years until I get it back into reasonable shape.

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:37 pm

I was just walking my dogs and saw this at the local park. I’ve walked here almost every day for years and never saw it before. Maybe it’s an omen telling me to get a steel roller.

C6F3A5DA-0239-45A6-9415-88591D6C03D3.jpeg
C6F3A5DA-0239-45A6-9415-88591D6C03D3.jpeg (44.58 KiB) Viewed 7407 times

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:37 pm

I definitely think you would be disappointed with a plastic roller, for the task you want to accomplish.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:08 pm

I bought a used 4' plastic roller (I am cheap), it appeared to be well built and in good shape. I filled it with water and used it to pack down the crushed limestone I spread in part of my driveway. I watered it after I spread it and it packed down real nice. I used it to roll a lot of places in my yard, pulling it with a 4-wheeler and my RTV. It developed a crack in the plastic near the axle. So much for it!
I picked up a metal one, Ohio Steel, looks similar to the one you posted, for $50 at a garage sale (I am cheap). It has bearings in the center for the axle and is built much better than the plastic one.
So, based on my experience, if you intend to use it a lot, spring for the metal one and I don't think you will be sorry.
Good luck,
David

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:02 pm

Thanks very much for the replies. I’m going with steel. I’ll probably start with enough sand to get it up to about 500 LBs and see if it’s heavy enough to do the job. Wish I could find a used one but I’d have to haul it 700 miles.

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:36 am

Keep an eye out on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. I have seen several steel ones in the past cheap.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:45 am

Definitely fill it with something other than water. Cement or Sand. I have a 1000 lb steel roller and it doesn't do much on my driveway. The weight is spread out over 5 feet.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:51 am

Of the three, concrete has the highest specific weight at 148 pounds per cubic foot. A little hard to get in that little fill hole, though. :lol:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:24 am

Keep in mind that dry material, like sand, will be very hard to pull unless you completely fill the roller.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:04 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_pressure

Above link has a chart of the approximate ground pressure per vehicle or animal.

Suggest figuring out the approximate ground pressure of the filled roller, then compare to the chart.

My thought is that it would be faster, cheaper, and do a better job, to drive your vehicles over the gravel several times to pack it down.
I have an excuse. CRS.

wrink3
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65622
Tractors Owned: 1977 New IH Cub
1977 IH 184

Postby wrink3 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:36 pm

I use the Ohio Steel one that has a 24x48 steel roller and is supposed to weigh ~920 lbs when full of water. The 184 pulls it easily but it is better to go slow when trying to compress material. It does pretty with crushed base limestone mix with a couple of passes.

I can easily pick up one end and dump the water out of it for winter. Water is also cheap. The roller is probably thin enough to knock a hole into it if you go too fast when it's empty and hit a sharp rock. I also like that it is easily transportable(loaded with water) on the tractor trailer on so I can use it at another place I have that doesn't have water.

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:20 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I have my sister who is local to the Wisconsin place keeping an eye out for a used one on Craigslist, etc. It costs me nothing to follow Eugene’s advise. Worst case is I don’t like the result and buy a roller to smooth it out.

I’m hindered by the fact that the place is 700 miles from where I live. We had 4 1/2” of rain in the gauge when I arrived there last week and my new gravel was like freshly mixed cement. My foot would sink in several inches. I drove my car up and down with the tires on one side in the new gravel and it picked up enough gravel in the wheel that it threw the balance of the wheel off and I had to stop and clean it out at a rest stop the next time I drove the car over 60 MPH. It’s been such a wet year there that it actually took several weeks to get dry enough conditions so the dump truck could spread it.

So, even though tractor tires or car tires will compress it better, it’s a mess of ruts underneath the new gravel and my hope was that as the Cub wheels compress the gravel, the roller behind it smooths it out so my surface doesn’t mirror the ruts underneath the gravel. The gravel was spread heavy in the rutted areas and about 4” in the smoother areas.

At this point I’ve got 5-6 months to decide what to do and see if a used roller becomes available.

Return to “Farmall Cub”