This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fan shaft help...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cub67
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44601
Tractors Owned: 55 Cub
67 Cub
45 JD A
Circle of Safety: Y

Fan shaft help...

Postby cub67 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:33 pm

I am trying to get my 67 back together. Working on the engine right now. I am having trouble with the order of the hardware for the fan shaft. When I took it apart (8 years ago) There was a washer with flats on it and a large hex nut behind the fork. It sure seems that there should be something in front of the fork though as the hex from the fan shaft almost goes through it. Does the washer with the flats on it go in front of the fork or has the po done something else? Here is a pic of what I have. Thanks for all of your help. (ignore the countershaft shims!)
20191018_183503_HDR.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Re: Fan shaft help...

Postby Glen » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:55 am

Hi,
The fan assembly originally has a thick flat washer on the shaft, in front of the slot in the engine front cover.
No washer goes behind the slot, just the nut, the nut should fit well in the slot, to hold it from turning.

Below are pics from TM Tractor showing it. The washer is a little easier to see in the lower pic.
The lower pic is the older fan hub, with the smaller generator pulley. :)
Attachments
Cub fan 3.jpg
Cub fan .jpg

cub67
5+ Years
5+ Years
67 Cub
45 JD A

Postby cub67 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:49 am

Hi Glen,
Thank you very much for straightening things out. That is exactly what I needed to know! I pulled the old cub apart 8 years ago because the engine was really tired. I thought since I had this much apart I might as well make it pretty. I found a lot wrong on the trans and differential. Hit some hard times for a while but now I'm trying to remember all the details of getting it back together! Hard to remember what I did 2 days ago let alone 8 years!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:59 pm

If you had the fan completely apart, be certain you have the oil slinger (actually a scoop) installed in the correct direction, some of the manuals show it reversed, which will result in failure of the fan.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

cub67
5+ Years
5+ Years
67 Cub
45 JD A

Postby cub67 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:02 am

Hi John,
Thanks for the tip. I was a bit confused about it but I was able to see the mark left by the hex nut on the slinger it should be right.

Return to “Farmall Cub”