This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wood 42 PTO Guard Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44236
Tractors Owned: 48 FCub
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Wood 42 PTO Guard Question

Postby lyle11 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:19 pm

I have had an ongoing Woods 42CL6 fix-up and install on as 55 Lowboy. I didn’t see anything in the documentation but I was curious if anyone knows why the upper corner of the PTO guard is notched our. Parts diagrams shows it like this. Being a safety conscious person, I could see someone removing their long sleeve shirt or coat while mowing and it going right into that opening.

I suspect it’s for clearance for some other option I don’t have and I realize I can bend some metal and cover it up. The manual instructions are to notch the over-running clutch guard if clearance is needed so it seems like this one should be the same way. It just seems like a bad place to not cover the pulley completely.

589D6F18-09B1-45C1-BB7C-06678E042916.jpeg
589D6F18-09B1-45C1-BB7C-06678E042916.jpeg (40.53 KiB) Viewed 408 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: Wood 42 PTO Guard Question

Postby Scrivet » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:57 am

I think that notch is for the rear lift arm coming from the touch control. Take a look at this picture from the TM Implement Hookup Gallery.
193_plow001003.jpg

Personally operating a Cub alone has some danger to it. Operating one with a rotary mower is a step up the danger scale. Of course everything we do, like getting out of bed, walking across the floor, walking up or down steps, driving a car, eating (you could choke) has an element of danger to it. Many more Cubs have that shield sitting in a corner of the barn, than have it installed, and people aren't sticking their hands on a moving pulley. At least if they're dumb enough to, they're smart enough not to tell anyone. Since you don't have a rear lift on that Cub, if you're concerned about the notch, make a cover for the cover and that's one less thing you have to worry about. Just be carefull getting out of bed tomorrow. :D

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:06 am

I’m obviously well aware that Cubs, power equipment, and many activities in life can be dangerous and most accidents happen when someone gets in a hurry or forgets just that one time. I’ve made it 60+ years without hiding under the covers all day. I have a Woods 59 and the PTO guard completely covers the top of the pulley. Having just installed this Wood 42, I was surprised how open the pulley is from the top even without the notch and, although unlikely, I could see an accident happening from loose clothing when someone gets absent minded and sheds his coat as the day mowing warms up. Like I said in my original post, I realize I can make a shield to cover the pulley better and and thats probably what I’ll do. Might be overkill but can’t hurt. Where I grew up within 1/2 mile 2 of our neighbors were killed in separate tractor accidents.

Your comments reminded me of that country song that went “It was a different world when we were boys and girls”. On the one hand I totally see the point of the song and that is how people my age lived as kids and we weren’t sitting inside all day. On the other hand, the song says “Rode bikes without helmets” and 99% of the time you won’t need it but helmets, even on a bike, have saved lives. Another line is “born to mothers who smoked and drank”. The song is catchy and it implies it all worked out fine, but in reality today we know it is not good for a baby. So, you can be overly cautious to the point of silliness for sure, but many times being cautious makes sense.

Well, time to walk across the street and get the mail. I wonder where I left my helmet and flack jacket?

The notch may very well be for the rear lift. Thanks.
Last edited by lyle11 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:21 am

I’ve never seen a notch in a woods 42 cover.

Edit: Then again, I’ve never owned a Loboy. So I cannot speak intelligently on the subject. Lol
Last edited by tmays on Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Crimson Tim » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:27 am

Maybe for access to the PTO zerk fitting? But with thumb screws being the only barrier to removing the shield, that doesn’t seem like a reasonable trade off.

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:32 am

You can access the zerk even if the notch wasn’t cut out.

Return to “Farmall Cub”