This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mott flail mower

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rusty red
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 63783
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1957? Cub
Farmall H (long term project)
1947 Plymouth (project)
1947 2N ford
Circle of Safety: Y

Mott flail mower

Postby Rusty red » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:53 pm

I finally got the chance to mow with my Mott flaip mower yesterday. I was very pleased with the results. It easily handled grass that was at least 8 inches tall. I liked the way it laid the grass instead of it clumping like a regular lawn mower.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Re: Mott flail mower

Postby Gary S. » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:56 pm

They work good for long grass like that. I liked them because they don't throw things out as far either. As for down sides it's a pain in the butt sharpening them- wish dad would have bought one of their sharpeners back in the day. The reason we quit using ours was for the reason you like it :lol: When you come back to cut that area the next time, that dried grass that laid out so nice now gets picked up and thrown out the front again. Since it's dried it gets chopped into dust then blows out where the engine fan catches it and deposits right into your face. We bought the shields that go onto the front and back that are for mulching but they didn't help. Finally gave up and bought a LoBoy with a Woods. The key to clumping with a rotary is to cut it more often

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:25 pm

Hi,
Many of you probably know this info already.
When mowing in hot dry weather, and there is dust or grass that goes through the radiator fins, the fins can get dirt built up, and then the radiator can't cool well.

With the engine Off, I blow out the radiator fins with compressed air, from the rear, forward.
You have to work where the fan blades will let the air get to the radiator, turn the fan some and blow out another area after blowing out one area.
If there is lots of debris in front of the radiator, you might need to remove the grille and clean it out.

You can use water from a garden hose with a nozzle if you prefer. Better to use water when the engine is cold.
Wear your safety goggles when using the air or water. :)

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:15 am

I think the flail puts the least load on the Cub in high grass. I have a flail and a woods 42.

If things are out of control I can use the flail to get it down and then a week or to later make it look better with the woods 42.

If things are not out of control I think it does a fine lawn cut.

You really can not go wrong with either mower on the Cub
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:38 pm

Gary S. wrote:They work good for long grass like that. I liked them because they don't throw things out as far either. As for down sides it's a pain in the butt sharpening them- wish dad would have bought one of their sharpeners back in the day. The reason we quit using ours was for the reason you like it :lol: When you come back to cut that area the next time, that dried grass that laid out so nice now gets picked up and thrown out the front again. Since it's dried it gets chopped into dust then blows out where the engine fan catches it and deposits right into your face. We bought the shields that go onto the front and back that are for mulching but they didn't help. Finally gave up and bought a LoBoy with a Woods. The key to clumping with a rotary is to cut it more often

The Mott Manual says the cutter can rotate forward and DOWN or forward and UP. To change direction, you put a twist in the belt. Most folks, I believe, have it go forward and down, otherwise the grass gets cut and is thrown up and forward, which is what you discribed. If that's what happened with yours, too bad you didn't change it. I really like mine, and it cuts beautifully. But mostly I like it over a really uneven area I have.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:44 pm

We have tried everything- we had been cutting with it since 1960. Like I say we even had the mulch shields for it,when mulching you spin it backwards forward and up. We had them on and ran it forward and down - that whole open front of the mower lets all the old grass come right out the front. Finally in 87 dad had enough and that Cub was retired to snowplow only duty and the Lo Boy took over mowing which it actually does better. For heavy duty mowing if needed I use the Ford with the 6' Mott.

Return to “Farmall Cub”