This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Build an 8 Volt Adjustable Battery Charger

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JohnMihevic
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44253
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub
C3 Mower
Hammond B3 for Rainy Days

Build an 8 Volt Adjustable Battery Charger

Postby JohnMihevic » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:07 am

This circuit will help if you have an 8 Volt battery in your cub. I built this adjustable 8 Volt battery charger for my friend that had an 8 Volt battery in his model T Ford. The circuit is shown below. It uses a standard 12 V charger and then drops the voltage using diodes that are forward biased and drop about 0.5 volt across each diode. The rate of charge is controlled by which diode is connected to the battery.

The diodes are available from Newark electronics (part # 76k5515) and cost $0.93. Any standard terminal strip will work. The maximum current the diodes can handle is 6 amps.

John M.

8VCharger.JPG

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Build an 8 Volt Adjustable Battery Charger

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:52 pm

Looks like it should work with no problem, but the newer smart chargers may not like it. Will probably need old style manual charger.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

halftonstude
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06482
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Build an 8 Volt Adjustable Battery Charger

Postby halftonstude » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:02 am

that's one of the problems with newer chargers they know what they're connected to and sometimes cross their arms and say Harumph!!!! and refuse to put out electricity. i have to keep old chargers because if i need a 12 volt source to power something on my bench and no battery a new charger won't do anything. John interesting selection for a diode, a fast switcher. The specs i read were slightly different than your drawing but that's the best way to lower voltage at varying currents as long as the minimum current of the battery is sufficient to keep the diode forward biased. I found max forward average current at .375" is .25 amps, but couldn't find minimum. nice little circuit!

Return to “Farmall Cub”