That carb problem again...I am hoping it is fixed.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dave H (MI)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48380
Tractors Owned: 1944 Ford 2N
1947 Farmall B
1949 Farmall Super AV
1954 Farmall Super MTA
1956 International TD-6
1957 IH Cub LoBoy
1989 Ford 1520

That carb problem again...I am hoping it is fixed.

Postby Dave H (MI) » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:47 pm

Once I got the float adjusted so that it does not leak...and it took a little run time in the shop to get the needle and seat to start getting broke in...well it still did not start/run right. Once I stopped focusing on the other, I started contemplating the effect of my stripped out stud. Sure, I could tighten the carb to the manifold, but it was dropping a hair after bouncing around in the field for a few minutes. Pretty good vacuum leak is what I had. My first attempt to helicoil the stud was not so good. Still would not start and run. When I took the carb off again I could see where the gasket was leaking. So I drilled out helicoil #1 and did a more careful job on #2. Still not starting. I discovered this leak when I wedged a 2x4 under the carb to compensate for the stripped stud. Ran great but stopped dead when the 2x4 fell off. So I went back to the 2x4 and it started and ran great. This gave me a chance to tighten the new helicoil stud real snug. Now it starts and runs without the board. A lot of head scratching over a loose nut! If it still starts and runs when I go back out there Friday Then it all gets put back together and I move on to the next project. Appreciate the help! Hope I am done with this for a bit and can get some time to use it. I have plenty of Cub toys I have never tried.

:tractor:
Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: That carb problem again...I am hoping it is fixed.

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:54 pm

The top of the carb (where it meets the manifold) is often warped. A flat file and a new gasket will correct any air leakage there.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:31 pm

If your talking about the manifold to carb stud you could just drill out the carb and put a bolt thru the manifold and a nut under the carb flange , thats the way mine is since 1992 , works good but it still warped ...... For 35 dollars you can get a surprisingly nice Chinese carb, I bought one it's nice really however I haven't installed it yet so no words on function.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:45 pm

Jackman wrote:. . . a nut under the carb flange . . .

One of mine was like that when I got it. They had ground off about 1/3 of the nut to make it fit. Not clear to me there is any way to avoid that problem.

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:43 am

Jim Becker wrote:
Jackman wrote:. . . a nut under the carb flange . . .

One of mine was like that when I got it. They had ground off about 1/3 of the nut to make it fit. Not clear to me there is any way to avoid that problem.

Yup I did mine like that too , easy peasy grind off one side of the nut it worked well and continues to work well its a valid alternative to the stripped out flange threads :tractor:

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:47 am

Dave, I agree with Bob, your carb definitely "sounds" like it could be warped on the top surface. If it has to come back off, I would suggest you check that with a flat file, or a piece of emery cloth on a flat surface. Get it close and a gasket will seal it up.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)